Major Gifts Manager
ABOUT CROW’S THEATRE
For almost 40 years, Crow’s Theatre has been a leading force in the Canadian theatre landscape, recognized for provocative and award-winning new theatre work that premiere in Toronto often followed by national and international tours. Crow’s Theatre is distinguished as a preeminent cultural destination for its far-reaching imagination, ideas, exchange, diversity, and grassroots belief that the arts are essential to healthy and thriving communities.
Led by Artistic and General Director, Chris Abraham and Executive Director Sherrie Johnson, Crow’s Theatre is located at the corner of Carlaw Avenue and Dundas Street East in Toronto’s east end. Our home at Streetcar Crowsnest is comprised of four venues for dynamic cultural and community programming: the Guloien Theatre (200 seats); Studio Theatre (90); the Nada Ristich Studio Gallery (80); the full-service Lobby Bar; as well as an onsite restaurant which can accommodate 60 seated indoors and 75 on the outdoor patio.
Crow’s Theatre is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non- discrimination in employment on any basis including race, creed, color, age, sex, religion, or national origin. Crow’s Theatre is committed to building a more diverse workplace and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
Crow’s Theatre seeks an enthusiastic, thoughtful, and driven Major Gifts Manager to join our team. This full-time contract position provides a unique opportunity for a mid-career, theatre-loving fundraiser to play a meaningful role in this east end, live performance hub.
The philanthropy team at Crow’s is small but mighty, and comprised of purpose driven, highly capable individuals. Reporting to the Artistic and Executive Director, the Major Gifts Manager will join the Senior Philanthropy Manager and Philanthropy Associate to provide critical support needed to achieve annual fundraising targets and help grow the donor base.
They will develop and implement growth strategies and help achieve our fundraising goals by cultivating and stewarding donors, developing collateral, and managing the donor pipeline and CRM. They will work closely with the entire Crow’s team to develop and oversee fundraising and stewardship events. They will ensure donors of Crow’s Theatre are appreciated, recognized, and engaged with the company’s activities.
The Major Gifts Manager responsibilities include:
Donor and Pipeline Management
- Work with the philanthropy team to maintain the existing pipeline of individual, foundation, public funds, and corporate donors, developing meaningful relationships with supporters of Crow’s Theatre.
- Actively develop and implement strategies to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward donors, building and maintaining a robust portfolio of donors with the capacity to give major gifts.
- Maintain and deepen corporate sponsorship relationships by ensuring accurate recognition and benefits, offering engagement opportunities and stewarding contacts.
- Initiate calls and meetings with donors and successfully articulate the case for support.
- Maintain up-to-date and accurate donor/prospect moves and records of contact in the pipeline.
- Create and implement creative and quality stewardship that inspires donors to make multi-year commitments and/or renew their gifts.
- Process gifts on the CRM database (Theatre Manager), ensuring precise and consistent donation tracking.
- In collaboration with the Philanthropy Associate, prepare reminders, requests for support, and renewal letters on a monthly basis.
- Oversee the implementation of thank you letters and tax receipts.
Campaigns, Reports and Events
- Collaborate with colleagues in philanthropy and colleagues in Marketing, to coordinate e-blasts related to fundraising initiatives, including calls to action for Giving Tuesday or other fundraising campaigns throughout the year.
- Collaborate across teams to plan and execute client hosting events, and other fundraising events by managing guest lists, donor communications, material development, and other event duties as required.
- Develop tailored fundraising materials, including proposals and sponsorship packages with internal team members and external contributors.
- Work with the team to develop impact and annual reports for donors and sponsors.
- Contribute to managing the fundraising budget over the course of the year.
- 3 or more years of fundraising related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Broad-based knowledge of various development campaign activities, including direct solicitations, event planning and management, match campaigns, and leveraging fundraising databases.
- Exceptional organizational skills cross-departmental communication, with the ability to coordinate multiple projects within tightly prescribed timelines.
- Knowledge of philanthropy practices and familiarity with donor-centred fundraising with a strong desire to improve donor experience and build relationships.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills demonstrating a collaborative approach with a willingness to engage constructively and empathetically with internal and external stakeholders.
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, and experience with fundraising software or CRM.
- A background in, or knowledge of theatre is considered a significant asset.
This is a Full-Time, Fixed Term Position in a 1-year contract with the possibility for renewal. Hybrid work model. Option to work in-office full time. Hours of work may vary and be irregular on occasion to meet company’s objectives for event and donor meetings.
This is a full-time, fixed term position. A competitive package will be provided with salary commensurate with experience in the range of $65,000 to $70,000. The position includes participation in Crow’s extended health benefits and pension plan.
COVID-19 VACCINATION & MASK MANDATE
For up-to-date information on our public vaccination policy and mask mandate please visit our website.
To apply, please email your detailed resume and a cover letter, in PDF form, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Refer to “Major Gifts Manager” in subject line.
The deadline to apply is Tuesday May 9, 2023 at 5 pm. ET. Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
We appreciate the time and effort it takes to apply and thank you in advance. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Crow’s Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to an inclusive and barrier-free recruitment, selection processes, and work environment in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require any accommodation during the hiring process, please email us confidentially at email@example.com.