Manager, Advancement Services
Vancouver Island University (VIU) is a dynamic, internationally-recognized university supporting a student population of 12,000 full- and part-time learners (including 1,500 international students and over 1,400 Indigenous students) and employing over 2,000 faculty and staff. Located on the traditional territory of the Snuneymuxw First Nation, VIU maintains three campuses, with its main campus in Nanaimo. There, an ocean-view campus setting spans 92 scenic acres, including lush stands of forest and Japanese gardens. The institution is built on the belief that all learners should have access to a university education.
VIU’s Office of Advancement and Alumni Relations is dedicated to advancing VIU’s strategic plan, People, Place Potential and supporting the University’s mission by fostering relationships that result in continuing goodwill and financial support from alumni, parents, friends, foundations, businesses, and organizations.
VIU is hiring a new Manager, Advancement Services to lead the essential core service functions of the Foundation, including database management, donor and prospect research, advancement reporting and analytics, gift recording, data integrity and data security. The Manager leads a small team and is a key member of the Office of Advancement and Alumni Relations senior leadership team.
VIU is now committed to focusing and professionalizing its advancement services by hiring an experienced professional into the role. This an exciting opportunity to play a crucial role in a dynamic and expanding advancement operation. Specifically, the Manager will have the opportunity to:
- Create and shape the Manager portfolio;
- Bring best practices and procedures to a willing and keen operation and team;
- Develop a thriving, effective, and enjoyable team culture;
- Help lay the groundwork for a future campaign; and,
- Enjoy an unmatched Island lifestyle in central Vancouver Island
MANAGER: SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Manager’s priority areas for immediate and short-term attention will include:
- Management of gift processing to ensure accuracy and integrity of data, and adherence to tax, privacy, and legal regulations concerning data storage and reporting;
- Partnering with the Manager, Philanthropy and Campaigns on an effective moves management and donor research program;
- Ensuring effective and strategic use of the Raiser’s Edge NXT database;
- Together with the AVP, the Manager, Philanthropy and Campaigns and the Manager, Alumni and Donor Relations, make up the Foundation’s Senior Leadership Team, guiding the entire program’s strategy and success.
More specifically, the Manager’s responsibilities include:
- Design and implement processes relating to importing/exporting of large data files, routine data entry and reporting, ensuring data quality, documenting donor communications, tracking donations, and issuing of gift receipts.
- Management of database operations for the Office of Advancement and Alumni Relations, including serving as primary site administrator for software services used to manage the fundraising process. (ie: the in-house financial ledger system and Raiser’s Edge NXT)
- Design and implement database queries and data exports to analyze giving trends and outcomes for the department.
- Prepare and maintain the department’s financial and statistical analysis reports for the AVP, External Relations and Directors to track annual fundraising and campaign goals.
- Maintain constituent information and provide detailed reporting to AVP, External Relations in preparation for meetings of the Board, President’s Council, VIU Foundation, Alumni Association or as needed.
- Troubleshoot issues and manage updates and/or upgrades related to Raiser’s Edge NXT database in collaboration with Campus IT Services.
- Collaborate with Finance team to ensure that all Foundation gift revenues are correctly recorded; provide year-to-date and quarterly gifts reconciliation.
- Manage quarterly pledge reminder process to ensure pledge fulfillment management of financial processes for the VIU Foundation, including oversight of gift processing, CRA-compliant receipting, banking operations, licensed gaming, monthly reconciliation with VIU’s in-house finance software FRS/Fledger, Raiser’s Edge NXT, credit card merchant service and bank.
- Management of financial processes for the VIU Foundation, including day-to-day financial operations, ensuring all processes meet or exceed appropriate standards for financial controls and comply with all applicable regulations.
Donor & prospect management:
- Produce and oversee the integrity of lists for the department’s direct mail/e-mail campaigns.
- Working with the Manager, Philanthropy and Campaigns, assist with the execution of high-quality and effective annual giving campaigns, collaborating with the Annual Giving Coordinator.
- Quality management with respect to all office processes, particularly in areas requiring regulatory compliance and financial controls.
- Providing research services with respect to potential donors and key internal and external stakeholders, for example, recipients of awards and recognition such as distinguished alumni, honorary degrees, naming of infrastructure, programs, chairs etc., as well as general research services relating to issues of relevance to advancing VIU’s mission.
- Monitor industry giving trends, providing recommendations and advice as needed.
- Responds to enquiries and requests from donors, the public, and award recipients as appropriate, and delegates as needed.
Leadership and collaboration
- Act as a member of VIU Foundation’s senior leadership team.
- Provide leadership, direction, and support to the advancement services team.
- Be an advocate and champion for the Foundation across campus.
INFORMATION FOR CANDIDATES
To apply or learn more, please contact the University’s search partner, Christoph Clodius at The Discovery Group, at email@example.com.
Deadline: All submissions should be received by December 2, 2022. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis however, so we strongly encourage early submissions.
Compensation: VIU offers employees a comprehensive benefits and wellness package, including extended medical and dental health care coverage (with 100% of the benefits premiums covered), enrolment in the College Pension Plan, and six weeks’ holidays, among other benefits. The salary scale for the Manager role is $64,869 – $83,748.