Manager, Annual Giving
About Women’s College Hospital Foundation
We are revolutionizing healthcare. Side by side with our donors, community members, staff and medical teams, Women’s College Hospital Foundation (WCHF) raises, manages and invests funds to support Women’s College Hospital in its mission to revolutionize healthcare to ensure a more equitable and sustainable system. WCHF donors contribute generously to help fund equipment, research, and innovative clinical programs that address the unique needs of women and their families while working to close critical health gaps within the system.
A values-driven organization, respect, caring, integrity and partnership are core to who we are and we believe that authenticity and accountability strengthens all that we do. Fuelled by our Triple Aim of Philanthropy, Partnerships and People, our vision is to be the charity of choice for advancing health for women in Canada and health system solutions for all.
Learn more about WCHF, visit: www.wchf.ca / @wchf
About Women’s College Hospital
Women’s College Hospital (WCH) is Canada’s leading independent, academic, ambulatory care hospital with a primary focus on the health of women. Founded in 1883 by Dr. Emily Stowe – a suffragist and the first Canadian woman licensed to practice medicine in Canada – our Hospital has earned its distinguished reputation through hard work, commitment, and a pioneering spirit of innovation.
Today, our ongoing achievements and our dedication to improving healthcare are building on that admirable legacy of leading-edge care and unparalleled caring. WCH opened the Hospital of the Future – a new, $555 million, state-of-the-art fully ambulatory facility – in fall 2015.
The opening of our new facility amplified our position as one of the most ground-breaking institutions in the world focused on advancing the health of women and pioneering health system solutions that benefit all people.
WCH is home to one of the only hospital-based research institutes in the world focused on the health of women, and we are fully affiliated with the University of Toronto as one of Canada’s leading teaching hospitals.
Learn more about WCH, visit: www.womenscollegehospital.ca / @WCHospital
The Women’s College Hospital Foundation (WCHF) plays a crucial role in supporting WCH’s excellence in research and healthcare. As a leading institution, WCH is driving fundamental changes in the healthcare system. Our donors are instrumental in enabling us to fulfill our mission of creating a healthier world for women and for all.
At Women’s College Hospital Foundation, our team works together in laughter, compassion, and care to create valuable, leading-edge work with a shared goal of doing better for both our patients and for people across the world.
We value a workplace that is a direct reflection of the world around us – one that celebrates different ideas, perspectives, people, and culture. We believe that representation matters. It brings diversity of thought and experience to our workplace – ensuring that everyone’s point of view is captured to further our mission of truly equitable healthcare.
We welcome different perspectives and ideas that lead to better solutions. We encourage challenging the status quo and collaborating to drive innovation forward, and we pride ourselves on providing a safe, supportive space to do so.
You will find that happiness and passion is a staple in our office, throughout our teams, and included in each and every huddle, Teams meeting, and email. Our people are our greatest asset, and we have high expectations for those who join us, those who are already a part of us, and for ourselves – and we will do everything in our power to help you meet them.
We trust each other, and most importantly, we like to work together.
Diversity and inclusion are essential to us, and we seek to hire top talent from all backgrounds. We respect and celebrate our differences, strengths, perspectives, opinions, and lifestyles. We hold ourselves to high standards, always pushing to do better and make a difference. Women’s College Hospital Foundation, we work together to create a healthier world for women and for all.
Women’s College Hospital Foundation is seeking a detail-oriented and results-driven Manager, Annual Giving to join their high-performing Philanthropy Team. The Foundation values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages women, racialized people, LGBTQ2+ individuals, people with disabilities, and foreign-born residents to apply.
Reporting to the Senior Director Philanthropy, the Manager Annual Giving, is a passionate advocate for equity, skilled and experienced member of the foundation team with a track record of success as a fundraiser, strategist, and project manager.
The Manager, Annual Giving is responsible for shaping the long-term strategy for the portfolio, working in partnership with the Senior Director of Philanthropy, Director of Communications, and Director of Donor Services (data analytics) as well as external vendors. The Manager will lead annual planning, execution and management of a best-in-class annual giving and direct response program. With a strong growth mindset, the Manager is also responsible for cross-foundation collaboration and integration with the Philanthropy Team on Intermediate Giving, Legacy Giving, Tribute Giving, and the Grateful Patient Program.
Under the direction of the Senior Director, Philanthropy, the Manager will manage key agency relationships to grow a robust monthly giving and one-time giving program. Responsible for direct mail, door to door, telemarketing, tribute, and digital/online giving, the Manager will optimize channels to effectively grow revenue streams in line with the strategic plan, ensuring WCHF is leveraging opportunities with existing donors and cultivating new communities, using a lens of diversity and inclusion, in support of the funding priorities of Women’s College Hospital.
The role requires an individual with an entrepreneurial mindset, excellent time and priority management, proficiency in financial management and revenue generation, and an understanding of integrated, multifaceted marketing revenue streams. The successful incoming candidate will have demonstrated a commitment to inclusion, diversity, equity, and access, in line with the values of WCHF.
• Ensure a best-in-class donor journey for all annual donors
• Plan, oversee, and lead the operation, execution, and administration of all direct response initiatives (direct mail, telemarketing, door to door, tribute, e-appeals, etc.) including budgeting, monitoring, and evaluation of data analytics
• Grow the Foundation’s pool of monthly and one-time donors to enhance undesignated giving in line with the organization’s strategic plan
• Manage relationships, and monitor and evaluate the service delivery of the selected direct response and telemarketing agencies
• Execute reporting and present program analytics to the Senior Leadership Team
• Collaborate within the Philanthropy Team to build and grow the Foundation’s Intermediate Giving Program
• Collaborate with the Marketing and Communications Team to enhance and grow digital and online fundraising
• Be a team player by embracing and consistently enacting organizational values of respect, caring, integrity, and partnership, supported by being authentic and accountable to yourself and your team
Accountabilities and Responsibilities, including but not limited to:
• In conjunction with the Senior Director develop the Annual Giving Program plan
• Collaborate with the Philanthropy Team to build the plan and budget for the Intermediate Giving Program
• Develop and oversee annual budgeting and monitoring for both expenses and revenue for the Annual Giving Program
• Develop detailed work back plans for all direct response appeals that incorporate sufficient review and edit time
• Work collaboratively with other teams across the Foundation and Hospital to ensure organizational efficiencies, effective processes, and enhancement of innovation
• Work with the Marketing and Communications team to source content and ensure the Annual Giving Program materials are consistent with WCH messaging and that donor communication complies with WCHF Brand Standards
• Work closely with Hospital teams and Donor Services to manage the flow of donor and patient data for appeals, ensuring that information is captured accurately and in a timely manner, including receipt of back-feed files from suppliers and application of any appeal-related data to Raiser’s Edge
Direct Response & Tribute:
• Recommend and develop new initiatives, creating strategies for growth through the Foundation’s Annual Giving Program including direct mail, newsletters, door to door, tribute, telemarketing, and online giving initiatives
• Work with the Senior Director and agencies to set goals and develop plans for growing the donor database and enhancing the overall annual giving strategy
• In collaboration with the Director, Stewardship and Donor Engagement manage stewardship activities (i.e., thank you calls, welcome packages, consolidated tax receipt mailing, tours, and other engagement opportunities)
• Responsible for evaluation and recommendations of database coding for the Annual Giving Program
• Responsible for in-house tracking of response rates of donor segments and making recommendations regarding best plan of solicitation of segments
• Responsible for creation of appeal summary reports that monitor and evaluate all metrics including achievement of financial budget
• Develop and execute a tribute giving program (in memory, birthdays, special occasions, etc.) in collaboration with the Philanthropy, Events and Stewardship Teams
• Manage all in-house direct response mailings, ensuring data quality and integrity in partnership with the Donor Services and Philanthropy Teams
• Collaborate with Marketing and Communications Team to grow and develop WCHF’s e-mail donor database using available tools to encourage engagement through online interaction and build effective conversion strategies
• Work with the Senior Manager, Philanthropy to enhance processes of identifying and qualifying a prospect pool Intermediate-level donors to transition to Major Gift donors ($10,000+) and back to Annual Giving when appropriate
• Project manage the approval processes for each direct response and appeal, ensuring timelines are maintained and appropriate review time embedded
• Develop and deliver training and scripts for door to door and telephone fundraising campaigns
• Oversee appeal budgets, tracking invoices against quoted costs
• Participate on a minimum of one internal or external committee
• Ensure all donor interactions are accurately recorded and updated in Raiser’s Edge
• Perform other tasks as assigned
• Minimum 5-7 years fundraising experience, including oversight of direct mail, door to door, digital and telephone fundraising campaigns
• Postsecondary degree or diploma in related field preferred or the equivalent in experience
• Strong project management, execution skills and attention to detail
• Experience developing integrated direct marketing programs for multichannel asks with a strong background in direct mail and digital engagement
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with vendors, suppliers, staff, volunteers, and other relevant stakeholders
• Demonstrated ability to provide superior customer service and apply sound judgment when dealing with donors and volunteers
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks effectively and efficiently, superior organizational skills and strict attention to detail, ability to work under deadline
• Entrepreneurial, creative, and strategic with a growth mindset
• Excellent verbal/written communication skills and experience with digital communications
• Strong skills in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and a solid knowledge of database management (Raiser’s Edge)
Women’s College Hospital is a fully affiliated teaching hospital of the University of Toronto and is committed to fairness and equity in employment and our recruitment and selection practices. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, people with disabilities, members of sexual minority groups, members of racialized groups, women and any others who may contribute to the further diversification of our Hospital community. Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under our Access for People with Disabilities policy. Applicants need to make their requirements known in advance.
To submit your application, please CLICK HERE and click on the “I am Interested” button at the bottom of the page.