Manager, Annual Giving (Hybrid) – 21 Month Contract
CIFAR is a Canadian-based global research organization that convenes extraordinary minds to address the most important questions facing science and humanity. Through knowledge mobilization, we are catalysts for change in industry, government and society.
For more information, please visit our website.
Purpose of the Position:
Reporting to the Director, Development, the Manager, Annual Giving develops and implements the annual plan to raise funds from and build engagement with corporations, individuals, and foundations up to $25K, including sponsorship funds. The incumbent must have excellent writing skills and feel comfortable communicating and interacting with Major Gift donors and Board-level volunteers. This role contributes to achieving departmental revenue and relationship goals.
Lead the strategy and execution of the Annual Giving plan to achieve revenue and relationship goals
- Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward new and renewing individual, corporate and foundation donors under $25K and raise sponsorship funds to support scholarly and other events
- Develop targeted appeals and engagement activities for staff, Fellows, Directors Emeriti and Council of Advisors campaigns
- Write compelling appeals and other donor/volunteer communications as needed
- Build relationships and understand donors within the portfolio to retain and increase their support
- In partnership with the Stewardship Manager, develop and execute strategies to grow engagement and giving of various levels of donors
Support the strategy and execution Major and Planned Giving Campaigns
- Support the Director and Vice President in implementing plans, strategies, and tactics for Major Gift donors such as conducting research, gathering information, coordinating materials for meetings, and developing proposals and reports
- Support the coordination and execution of prospect, donor and volunteer meetings and events
- Build the pipeline by identifying donors across all giving categories who have the capacity and interest to be major donor or planned gift prospects
Creatively relay CIFARs benefits to donors and prospective donors
- Through cross-departmental rapport, maintain a thorough understanding of existing and emerging work at CIFAR and convey the impact of this work to donors in an appropriate and convincing manner
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of CIFAR’s strategic directions, programs and initiatives and share information with donors
- Stay up-to-date with industry best practices in donor identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship
- University degree/college diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience, in a related field
- 2-4 years relevant and progressive experience in a fundraising role
Core Professional/Technical Knowledge & Skills required for the position:
- Excellent verbal and written communicator with the ability to build relationships and generate revenue
- Excellent interpersonal skills and very strong person-to-person relationship-building skills
- Knowledge of the philanthropic community and best practices in major gift fundraising
- Demonstrated integrity and a commitment to the AFP Code of Ethical Principles and Standards; CFRE is an asset
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office and Google suites of products
- Comfort with databases as a key tool for building relationships; experience with Salesforce is an asset
- Good understanding of current finance and accounting principles and regulations in the not-for-profit sector
Apply: Qualified applicants are invited to apply through our careers page at https://cifar.ca/career/ by Monday, July 4, 2022. We appreciate your interest in this opportunity, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
CIFAR is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion. We recognize that bringing together individuals from multiple backgrounds, perspectives and experiences is integral to advancing excellence and increasing the impact of our organization. Our leadership, staff and volunteers strive to create an equitable, diverse and inclusive workplace and, in turn, an environment that will give our diverse global community of researchers the support to successfully address the most important questions facing science and humanity. Ensuring that every person feels valued and welcome, regardless of age, education, sexual orientation, gender expression and identity, parental status/responsibility, immigration status, Indigenous status, religion, disability, language, race, place of origin, ethnicity, culture, socio-economic status, and other attributes is vital to achieving our mission. We strongly encourage applications from members of our society who face systemic barriers and biases, including, but not limited to, women, Indigenous persons, members of visible minority/racialized communities, 2SLGBTQ+ persons, members of marginalized gender identity communities, and persons with disabilities. Applicants may confidentially self-identify at the time of application.
ACCESSIBILITY FOR APPLICANTS WITH DISABILITIES – CIFAR is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and the Ontario Human Rights Code. To request a reasonable accommodation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the term ‘Accessibility’ in the Subject Line or call 416-971-4251. Please provide your name, preferred contact method, and a detailed description of the nature of any accommodation that you may require. Please include any materials or processes that may be used to ensure your equal participation.
CIFAR frequently communicates in both official languages and our preference is to hire employees who are fluent in both English and French where possible. Other languages are also considered an asset. For a French version of the job posting, please visit www.cifar.ca.
CIFAR is supported by the governments of Canada, Alberta, British Columbia, Ontario, and Quebec as well as international partner organizations, individuals, foundations, and corporations