Manager, Data & Research
This position is part of the Administrative Professional (Employee Group)
One of Canada’s leading comprehensive universities and a Top Employer in Hamilton-Niagara, Brock University is an inclusive, welcoming campus community that offers a wide range of unique career opportunities for those with passion, energy and expertise. We’re looking for team members who want to help us continue to deliver an exceptional student experience, perform impact-driven research and generate life-changing breakthroughs for our world. Ignite new possibilities for your career. Break through at Brock.
A Day in the Life…
As the Manager, Data and Research, you will support the Development and Alumni team by leading prospect management, data development, conducting research, and providing analysis in support of prospect pipeline activities and the department. As the Manager, Data and Research, you will:
- Work closely with Executive Director, Development and Campaigns on defining, implementing and managing a transparent prospect development program; and
- Work cross-functionally with senior leaders from all business units to gain approval/support on the prospect strategy for new initiatives and partnerships from concept stages onwards
- Seek out and qualify new prospective donors capable of significant financial support utilizing appropriate resources, including alumni contacts, publications, and research tools and services;
- Conduct biographical and financial research on prospective donors, evaluating their financial capacity, ability, willingness to give, and charitable interests; produce comprehensive prospect reports;
- Identify and outline individual, corporate, foundation, and research prospects for major gifts, endowed gifts, and special project funding;
- Manage the Advancement calendar and plan research work based on deliverables;
- Actively seek and recommend optimal research techniques and resources; and
- Conduct special research projects or analyses in support of the Development team.
- Contribute in the development of prospect clearance protocols;
- Lead the Prospect Management clearance process meetings, providing research and information on prospects to be reviewed;
- Establish business processes for database analytics to build prospect pipeline;
- Develop prospect identification process and ensures effective distribution and delivery of qualified prospect, including using data mining and predictive modeling techniques to identify new prospects;
- Work closely with fundraising team to identify the priorities and projects that need prospects identified for financial support;
- Conduct routine assessments on the prospect portfolios assigned to each staff member to ensure prospects are being effectively managed through the pipeline;
- Create tracking and evaluation systems for Major Gift Officers and Development Officers enabling the team to effectively forecast financial fundraising targets; and
- Support Executive Director with budgets as it relates to major gift fundraising and assess performance against those budgets set out at the beginning of the year and flag where gifts may not be realized
- Create and distribute in-depth prospect profiles, confidential briefing documents, research reports, and lists as required to support the Development & Alumni Relations teams;
- Participate in Business Rules meetings and decisions; create and manage the agenda, and create or modify documentation as required to support this committee;
- Update information in the Raiser’s Edge database as required;
- Provide analysis, research, and reporting for Development & Alumni events and identify individuals for cultivation at these events; and
- Provide support and project analysis to the Advancement Services team as required.
- Maintain the prospect management system in the database, including determining key data/information needed to create meaningful reports;
- Author and oversee the national prospect clearance process, ensuring a strategic and seamless experience for new prospects;
- Ensure timely and regular reporting to the senior leadership team; and
- Ensures that ratings and evaluations are accurately added in the system and ensures that staff members are filing reports and managing their fundraising proposals effectively in the database
- Provide leadership to staff, including assigning tasks, managing, coaching, mentoring and motivating;
- Recruit and train staff, ensuring effective allocation of staff to meet departmental goals and objectives;
- Develop training plans and coach/train staff in database management, customer service, policies and procedures;
- Prepare annual performance plans, guide career development and manage performance of staff in a manner consistent with the University’s strategic priorities; and
- Provide guidance for staff in understanding and complying with University policies, procedures and guidelines and ensure all University mandatory employee training is completed.
What you need to Succeed…
- A post-graduate degree in a relevant discipline, with a strong research component.
- 3-5 years of relevant and applicable research experience.
- The ability to work effectively in an environment with sensitive and confidential information;
- Knowledge of and ability to identify new indicators of capacity to donate
- Ability to conduct advanced research; and advanced knowledge of Raiser’s Edge preferred
- Extensive computer competency including MS Office and web applications, web maintenance, and social media;
- Advanced writing, proofreading and editing skills;
- Knowledge of latest technologies with research applications.
- Demonstrated leadership and the ability to create a positive work environment;
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with various stakeholders;
- Maintain a high degree of human relations skills for all interactions.
- Ability to simplify, organize and communicate information in a clear and concise manner when responding to requests;
- Ability to translate external information into relevant technology formats;
- Strong initiative, time management and ability to prioritize and meet deadlines;
- Extreme accuracy and attention to detail.
Preferred or Asset Skills:
- Demonstrated experience in the post-secondary education setting;
- Experience in the advancement/development field, including major gifts and capital campaigns;
Salary and Benefit Information
- Job Grade M, Salary Scale ($61,989-$88,270)
- This position includes full comprehensive benefits plus tuition waiver.
*The salary range indicated is representative of all positions evaluated at this level. Actual salary is determined by assessing related skills, experience, internal equity and market competitiveness, subject to available budget.
Applicants are required to upload a resume and cover letter as part of the application process.
Brock University recently paused its COVID-19 vaccination and mask requirement although masks are still required in instructional spaces. This decision is subject to change on short notice should the public health situation require it. If the University once again requires all employees working on campus and/or in-person with other employees, students, or members of the public to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19, you will be required to submit proof of vaccination. Those who meet specific and limited medical or human rights accommodation criteria may be required to participate in rapid antigen testing and enhanced screening protocols.
Brock University is actively committed to diversity and the principles of Employment Equity and invites applications from all qualified candidates. Women, Aboriginal peoples including those who identify as members of First Nations, Inuit and Métis Peoples, members of visible minorities and racialized groups, people with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) persons are encouraged to apply. We will accommodate the needs of the applicants and the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the selection process, as outlined in the Employment Accommodation Policy https://brocku.ca/policies/wp-content/uploads/sites/94/Employment-Accommodation-Policy.pdf. Please advise: firstname.lastname@example.org to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated through this process. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
It is Brock University’s policy to give consideration to qualified internal applicants.
We appreciate all applications received; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Learn more about Brock University by visiting www.brocku.ca