About Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada
Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada is a national fundraising organization committed to improving the lives of vulnerable children in Canada. Our initiatives meet the immediate and urgent needs of at risk children and youth, and afford them a brighter future that, ultimately, strengthens our communities. With more than 300,000 children at risk of abuse and neglect in Canada, our support is critical in giving them hope, confidence and opportunity.
The Foundation has an ambitious agenda for growth and is currently executing a $75M Stand Up For Kids – Futures Transformed Campaign, which will bring long term growth and funding stability to important child welfare programs across the country. Our staff members are a dynamic and highly committed team of professionals who are dedicated to delivering excellence and maximizing the social value of donations and volunteer contributions to child welfare in Canada.
The Database Manager is a member of the Finance database services team and has lead responsibility to manage all aspects of Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada databases, including but not limited to, Raiser’s Edge and Blackbaud GrantMaking (BBGM). The Database Manager is responsible for all fundraising database activities working in collaboration with the Development team; and works in collaboration with staff across the organization to manage and oversee the customer relationship management (CRM) administration database, ensuring data integrity and quality while providing business analysis, fundraising analytics, reporting, and data integration across the organization. The Database Manager will also lead the grants management database activities, working in collaboration with the Grants and Programs team, ensuring transparency and accuracy of data and procedures between Financial Edge, Raiser’s Edge and BBGM as well as actively manage the vendor relationship with Blackbaud.
The Database Manager is a team-oriented problem solver who is detail-oriented, a systematic thinker who enjoys working with data, and is committed to data quality.
Responsibilities for all database activities will include but are not limited to:
- Reporting to the Director, Finance and Database, and working with the Chief Development Officer, Senior Manager, Marketing and Digital, and Director of Grants and Programs to ensure all Foundation databases are working efficiently and meeting the needs Foundation Staff
- Approximate allocation of time: 45% RE – development team support, 30% RE – developing & maintaining database (coding, donor profiles, etc.), ensuring consistency throughout the database, 25% Grantmaking
- Lead and manage the data integrity, data analytics, functionality of and reporting from the Raiser’s Edge database, the Foundation’s main information source of donor/prospect activity and providing oversight on gift acknowledgements and receipting,
- Providing expertise and implement tactics to optimize the database for grant and sponsorship fulfillment, moves management and prospecting
- Perform routine database maintenance and backups and other quality control procedures
- Working with the Finance Co-ordinator on the day-to-day operation of the Raiser’s Edge Database including but not limited to: setting up new users; training new users; creating funds, actions, events, campaigns, etc.; running global changes, appeal additions, and coding queries to keep records up-to-date
- Lead database clean-up and maintenance, including the elimination of duplicate accounts, a new donor coding system, and establishment of new donor records. Research best practices for data integrity practices and proactively communicate to staff opportunities to enhance our donor record information
- Document and maintain data standards and data-related business rules, procedural documents pertaining to the use of Raiser’s Edge
- Prospect and donor data entry oversight to include solicitor and rating entry and coding as well as ensuring the database is updated with new biographical information including addresses, business and employer information, personal information, activities, name changes, and event invitations.
- Coordinate RE upgrades and patches with IT, Finance, Grants and Programs and the Development Team
- Generating appropriate reports, including creating queries and exports using Raiser’s Edge, Gifts/BBGM and Crystal Reports with the goal to being more proactive with reports on special fundraising projects, as well as everyday fundraising activities.
- Oversee the development of specific profiles and reports in preparation for fundraising meetings and calls by staff
- Serve as the liaison for list pulls and mailing lists based on the segmentation needs of each team.
- Preparation of data files for mailing selections of other staff and events
- Track and analyze prospect and donor fundraising efforts for all fundraisers, including stewardship opportunities
- Lead the data management of the online fundraising interface (Artez) and collection of information about donors to better steward supporters
- Lead/convene an internal RE user group to develop coding structure, policies, operations and procedures manuals
- Ensure annual donor reports are prepared accurately for Endowment Fund donors
Competencies and Skills
- Advanced data entry, maintenance and analysis, and database administration skills, including high volumes of global changes, importing, mail segmenting
- Ability to analyze data, sound judgment, problem-solving skills
- Proven ability to understand data and provide meaningful reporting
- Excellent organization, planning and administrative skills
- Excellent communications skills, both oral and written, including business report writing
- Advanced skills in MS-Word, MS-Excel and MS-PowerPoint, email, calendar, and web browsers
- Advanced exporting skills with multi-criteria queries
- Experience in the not for profit space with a focus on data administration 1 to 3 years Raiser’s Edge or similar CRM database experience (bCRE Blackbaud Certification in Raiser’s Edge would be an asset)
- Crystal Reports knowledge is an asset
- Familiarity with import tools an asset
- Experience with an online fundraising interface an asset
- Friendly demeanor, strong listening skills and the ability to interpret and respond to the concerns and interests of donors and colleagues
- Results-oriented and able to prioritize workload and meet deadlines
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Demonstrated initiative, strategic thinking and problem solving
- Sound judgment and integrity; tact and diplomacy
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, and in complex stakeholder environments
- Ability to exercise decisiveness and good judgment in situations requiring the evaluation of information to reach creative solutions.
- Bilingual in both official languages is an asset
- College Diploma or University Degree
- Minimum 3 years related database experience with a minimum of two years with full responsibility for Raiser’s Edge in a not-for-profit organization
- Preferred: SQL/HTML experience
Hours of work
- Regular office hours: 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Occasional evenings and weekends during busy periods
- Vacation restrictions during busy periods
CAFC provides equal employment opportunities to employees regardless of their gender, race, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation or marital status. We offer a family-friendly environment that allows for flexible work arrangements in order to support staff diversity and ensure a healthy work-life balance.
CAFC provides a comprehensive benefits package including extended health, four weeks’ vacation and membership in a defined benefit pension plan.
Note that currently as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, CAFC staff are working remotely. Ultimately, when it is safe to do so, our goal is to work out of the CAFC offices, located in downtown Toronto.
If you would like to apply for this role, please send a cover letter and a current resume listing your qualifications and experience to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than February 11, 2022. Please quote “DB-Manager 2022” in the subject line of your e-mail.
We thank all candidates for their interest in the work of Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone inquiries please.