Manager, Development Research & Prospect Management
Toronto / 12-month contract (with potential to renew)
Due to COVID-19 Guidelines, this role is currently 100% remote / work from home until further notice. We are closely monitoring the evolving situation, and CAMH Foundation will continue to make the health and safety of our team a top priority.
ABOUT CAMH FOUNDATION
Hi we are the Development Research Team. We believe in the power of philanthropy to improve lives and create meaningful change. We believe that relationships are at the heart of fundraising. This means leading with gratitude, proactively building and strengthening partnerships, being an exceptional team player with a go-getter attitude, and inspiring hope through the stories we share.
We invite you to join me for a conversation about your interest in CAMH, have the chance to meet members of our incredible team, and tell me more about how your career aspirations align with our bold journey to create a world where mental health is health.
CAMH Foundation is the fundraising arm for CAMH, Canada’s leading hospital for mental health. Each year, CAMH provides exceptional care for more than 34,000 patients and responds to 500,000 outpatient visits. We inspire change in the mental health field through the professionals we train, the knowledge we share, and in the modern facilities we are building: embedded in the community and open to the world. Our passion is conveyed by engaging supporters in our innovative research, clinical care and treatment for patients and families of today and tomorrow. At CAMH Foundation we strive to work in respectful partnerships with each other and our hospital partners to inspire philanthropy and raise awareness in support of mental health.
CAMH Foundation is charged with raising and stewarding funds in support of CAMH. Its role is to help
transform the way we understand and address mental illness by raising awareness and increasing
engagement across the country. Generous and dedicated supporters help CAMH advance discovery and
innovation, build spaces that promote recovery, and break down the stigma of mental illness.
The Centre for Addiction & Mental Health (CAMH) Foundation is seeking a self-motivated Manager, Development Research & Prospect Management leads the Development Research service, proactive prospect identification research projects as well as the Prospect Management Process. This role is in place to ensure the fundraising teams get the information support they need to enable sales as well as ensure there is a healthy pipeline of donor/prospects to meet the Fundraising requirements of CAMH Foundation to support the needs of CAMH. Working in a fast-paced environment, the role will be accountable to identify and qualify new strategic prospects, prepare prospect lists and briefing documents to support the Foundation staff and senior volunteers in their prospect, donor and volunteer cultivation, solicitation and stewardship activities.
- Provide high-quality, strategic and ‘phased-in’ information about donors’ motivations and connections to CAMH Foundation, to help enhance the overall strategy and ensure success
- Demonstrate mastery in partnering with research requesters to identify specific research needs and the ability to effectively negotiate the research format and timeframe with requesters as warranted
- Demonstrate advanced institutional knowledge conducive to identifying untraditional connections and creative use of search strategies and algorithms to uncover those connections
- Ensure adherence to privacy policies of CAMH Foundation and professional organizations such as APRA, AFP, AHP, CASE, and similar organizations and apply policy principles to your work. Monitor and understand new ethical issues, trends and protocols
- Ensure the Development Research program is strong and processes are well-documented
- Develop and execute a prospect research plan which supports the current and future Foundation/Hospital goals and financial targets
- Plan and direct the work of the team and be responsible for establishing overall objectives and priorities for the direction of each development research portfolio
- Manage the team including recruitment, hiring and retention, performance management, professional development and establishing and achieving goals
- Set goals, monitor work and evaluate results to ensure that team and operating requirements are met and are in line with the needs and mission of CAMHF
- Develop and implement an annual plan for the team’s operations and objectives
- Write and/or keep current policies and procedures for research resources and train others in resource use
- Provide leadership around best practices of other leading development research shops
- Manage the budget of the department and assess research tools needed for a new campaign (forms, policies/procedures, reports, internal accountability measures, scores, ratings, etc.)
- Demonstrate ability to request and/or negotiate research resource budget with management and negotiate discounts with information providers
- Mastery knowledge of specific measures for demonstrating research ROI (for example, the number of new prospects identified and/or researched that resulted in qualification, cultivation and solicitation activity and dollars raised, yield of research capacity against actual solicitations, number of engagement/involvement strategies recommended by research utilized to further relationships, etc.)
- Demonstrate strong leadership skills, including ability to address staff concerns and create a stable and positive working environment. Develop system for ongoing project learning and decision feedback. Mastery of listening and negotiation skills
- Coach and mentor team members to develop their skills and assist them in developing their careers at CAMHF
- Undertake special projects as required
- Undergraduate degree in a related program
- A minimum of 7 years’ experience in the fundraising sector. A combination of relevant education and experience may be considered
- Well-developed and tested competencies in critical thinking, with an ability to interpret data and financial information that informs program evaluation and sound planning
- Working knowledge of complex information systems, prospect tracking and research
- Team player who is a flexible collaborator
- Comprehensive knowledge of fundraising principles, practices and techniques
- Extensive knowledge in research, fundraising programs and information systems
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills, with an attention to detail and accuracy
- Well-developed verbal and written communication, presentation skills and the ability to prepare narratives and synthesize information clearly
- Mastery of privacy policies of internal organization and professional organizations such as APRA, AFP, AHP, CASE, and similar organizations and apply policy principles to your work. Monitor and understand new ethical issues, trends and protocols
- Resourcefulness, diplomacy and tact, with ability to maintain confidentiality
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to work with senior leaders effectively and collaboratively
- Basic understanding of healthcare delivery system in Ontario
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple and changing demands
- Ability to work independently using an above average level of initiative
- Proficient in the use of all corporate productivity tools including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Internet Explorer as well as Raiser’s Edge or other donor database management systems
- Demonstrated commitment to and understanding of the mission and values of CAMHF
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends
- Demonstrated commitment to and understanding of the Foundation Guiding Principles
Salary Range: $81,500 – $91,700 per year
CAMH Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations and will work with you o meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please don’t hesitate to reach out. Please contact
Wil Steller, Senior Manager, HR & Operations at email@example.com. We celebrate our inclusive work environment ad welcome members of all backgrounds and perspectives to apply. Our north start is creating hope and improving outcomes for people facing mental illness. We work in respectful partnerships with each other and our hospital partners to inspire philanthropy and raise awareness in support of mental health.
To apply: Please submit your cover letter and resume to: HR_Foundation@camh.ca by 5:00 p.m. on
January 10, 2022.
CAMH is a Tobacco-Free Organization.
CAMH Is fully affiliated with the University of Toronto and is a teaching hospital and research institute.
CAMH Foundation thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
If contacted for an interview, please inform us should accommodation be required.