Temporary, full-time position (from January 31, 2022 to January 26, 2024) – Guelph, ON
This is an exciting opportunity for a champion of best practices in both virtual and in-person events to join a high-performing team of passionate professionals at the University of Guelph, one of Canada’s leading comprehensive research-intensive universities.
The department of Alumni Affairs and Development (AA&D) is a central service that supports the University of Guelph’s mission to Improve Life by building lifelong relationships with alumni, donors and champions. AA&D is accountable for raising money for the institution’s strategic priorities through the identification and alignment of donors and prospective donors. The division has recently undergone a re-organization to support the vision to attract $50-million in sustained annual philanthropic support (over a five- to eight-year period) and to be one of Canada’s most sought-after advancement organizations. As Events Manager, you’ll be a member of the AA&D team and, as such, exemplify the department’s shared values of respect, empowerment, integrity, appreciation, and forward focus.
Reporting to the Director, Engagement Services (ES), you will provide thoughtful leadership and oversight of the Events team, including the supervision of two Advancement Event Coordinators. As Manager, Events, you will oversee a year-long strategic calendar of events that support the AA&D department, specifically to advance AA&D’s philanthropic goals, along with evaluating overall team initiatives and making strategic program decisions based on event outcomes and metrics, as they relate to advancing on AA&D’s strategic vision.
As the department expert on all forms of events, including virtual platforms and in-person formats, you will lead the development of processes and best practices, as well as the evaluation of new event platforms and tools (such as new virtual platforms), and implement new event solutions. We will also count on you to oversee the development of all event plans, make recommendations to maximize the event experience and achieve event goals, and oversee all aspects of the event lifecycle. This will include developing registration (through the BBIS platform), ensuring connectivity to Cannon CRM, developing all event communications (invitation, event details, post-event thank-you, surveys), and creating the event platform (virtual or in-person).
To assume the role of Manager, Events, you should be a technology-savvy communicator and goal-oriented relationship builder with a profile that includes:
- An undergraduate degree, along with 4 to 6 years’ related experience in event planning and/or event execution, and 2 to 3 years’ experience working with, and managing, teams or clients.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver high-quality, engaging, creative, brand-appropriate events.
- Understanding of metrics and strategic outcomes, with demonstrated ability to use events as a tool to reach strategic organizational goals.
- Demonstrated experience promoting and encouraging participation in events from target audiences.
- Strong understanding of best practices, both for in-person and for virtual events.
- Excellent communication skills and strong mastery of technology.
- Experience managing teams, to help guide the vision and execute on agreed-upon plans.
- Understanding of budgets and revenue goals, and demonstrated ability to develop and deliver projects based on assigned financial goals.
- Demonstrated ability to think and act strategically, creatively and dynamically in high-pressure situations.
- Demonstrated ability to think quickly and problem-solve on the spot.
- Strong understanding of how to use best practices and data to streamline processes and advance on business goals.
- Exceptional relationship-building and relationship management skills, diplomacy and tact.
NOTE: This appointment is regularly performed on-campus but, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, will be initially fulfilled remotely (off-campus) until the University resumes its regular operations.
The University of Guelph (www.uoguelph.ca) is one of Canada’s leading research-intensive comprehensive institutions, with a record of outstanding scholarship in the arts, humanities, social sciences, life sciences, physical and engineering sciences, agriculture and veterinary sciences. This is your chance to join us in our endeavour to improve life.
To view a detailed posting for the role of Manager, Events, including application instructions, please go to our website at www.uoguelph.ca/hr/careers. Applications, quoting Hiring #2021-0661, must be sent to: email@example.com.
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.