Manager, Fund Development and Donor Relations
Are you passionate about fundraising? Do you want to work for a great cause at a small but mighty national charity? Are you looking for an exciting role with growth opportunity and the ability to make a difference in people’s lives? Then, this is the job for you!
Asthma Canada is the only national charity solely devoted to improving the quality of life for people living with asthma and respiratory allergies. For nearly 50 years, Asthma Canada has proudly served as the voice of all Canadians affected by this chronic disease. We empower patients with evidence-based information, education programs and support asthma research in Canada. Our mission is to help Canadians with asthma lead healthy lives through education, advocacy, and research.
When you join the Asthma Canada team, you become part of a small but mighty group of professionals with a shared passion for making a difference for the asthma community. We can provide you with flexible working hours, a hybrid work environment, health benefits, a competitive salary, and the opportunity to grow with the organization.
Overview of the Role:
We are looking for an ambitious, results-driven, self-starter with strong problem solving and analytical skills that has demonstrated success at increasing fundraising revenues. The ideal candidate for this role is proactive, enthusiastic, persistent, and can work well independently and in a small team environment. The successful candidate is a critical thinker with exemplary relationship building skills and has a passion for helping others.
Reporting directly to the President & CEO, the Manager, Fund Development and Donor Relations will be responsible for increasing fundraising revenues from multiple existing as well as new revenue sources. This position plays a key role in Asthma Canada’s fundraising strategy.
The successful candidate will be responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive, multi-faceted annual giving program. The incumbent will plan, manage, evaluate, and grow both existing revenue channels as well as develop and implement new ones. The fundraising portfolio will include, but is not limited to, direct mail/direct response donors, online donors, monthly donors, annual donor appeals, in tribute/memoriam donors, charitable foundations, and other engagement program donors.
The incumbent will also be responsible for designing and implementing a stewardship strategy to broaden donor engagement and develop a pipeline of support for future higher levels of giving. The new manager will play a key role in identifying, cultivating, solicitating and recognizing individual donors through database analysis and segmentation tools with the goal of increasing gift revenue from all sources. To this end the incumbent is highly skilled at using Customer Relationship Management software (CRM’s) to analyze and extract data.
The successful individual will also be tasked with evaluating the success of the fundraising program using different metrics to determine strengths and weaknesses, and how to best plan for further growth.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implement and lead an individual giving fundraising program that encompasses a range of components such as direct mail, online giving, monthly giving, individual annual campaigns, in tribute/memoriam giving and other engagement program giving, to create a growing and sustainable foundation of annual support.
- Manage the segmentation, solicitation, tracking and reporting for all direct mail/direct response and electronic appeals.
- Manage relationships with vendor(s) involved in the delivery of annual giving initiatives.
- Research and manage solicitations and stewardship for charitable foundations.
- Develop and execute all fundraising copy and materials with support from marketing and communications.
- Develop, implement, and manage a donor stewardship strategy to retain donors from year to year through an efficient and effective gift acknowledgment process, regular donor communications, recognition methods and other stewardship initiatives.
- Maintain and ensure the integrity of the DonorPerfect database and the accuracy of donor and prospect records.
- Analyze data to identify opportunities to improve the donor journey resulting in higher levels of retention and upgrade.
- Analyze data to inform growth strategies; predict and respond to trends and test new fundraising ideas; define and implement metrics for measuring, reporting, analyzing and aggregating donor behaviour and segmentation strategies.
- Develop key performance indicators to determine effectiveness of programs and make changes as needed.
- Develop and oversee budgets, expenses, projections, progress, goals and objectives, and deadlines related to the fundraising portfolio.
Required Skills and Core Competencies:
- A University degree or college diploma in a relevant discipline; post Graduate Certificate in Fundraising is an asset.
- Minimum of 3 years of progressive fundraising experience with proven success in implementing a fund development program.
- CFRE designation is an asset.
- Strong expertise in the hands-on development of both print and digital fundraising materials.
- Deep understanding of donor targeted communication, stewardship, and tracking.
- Excellent program and campaign execution skills; careful attention to detail.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to draw meaningful insights from data to inform decisions.
- Superior knowledge of Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software (such as SalesForce, DonorPerfect or Raiser’s Edge) to track donors and prospects.
- Results driven and demonstrated commitment to accountability.
- Excellent organization and time management skills.
- Exceptional written and interpersonal skills.
- Works well independently and with a small team.
- Adept problem-solver and decision-maker.
- Innovative, creative and a strategic thinker.
- Experience working for a healthcare charity is an asset.
- Displays exceptional passion and empathy for helping others.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Manager, Fund Development and Donor Relations in your subject line, and include your salary expectation.
While we wish to acknowledge all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Asthma Canada values the diversity of the people it hires and serves. Diversity at Asthma Canada means fostering a workplace in which individual differences are recognized, appreciated, respected and responded to in ways that fully develop and utilize each person’s talents and strengths.
Asthma Canada is committed to making the recruitment process accessible to all candidates. Accommodations for disabilities are available upon request.
For additional information on our vision, mission and values (Client-focused, We Listen, Caring and Compassionate, & Collaborative), and to learn more about Asthma Canada’s programs please visit www.asthma.ca.