Manager, Individual Giving
Job Posting – Full-Time Position
Manager, Individual Giving
Soulpepper Theatre is searching for a highly collaborative new colleague to join our Development team. The ideal candidate is a natural relationship builder, who thrives in a fast-paced environment, and is passionate about the role the arts can play in community-building and social good.
Working closely with the Director of Partnerships and Development, the Manager, Individual Giving is an integral part of the Development Department which is responsible for the planning and execution of Soulpepper’s fundraising strategies and campaigns. Highly motivated and detail-oriented, this role interfaces with the larger Soulpepper artistic and administrative teams to grow and deepen the culture of philanthropy at the organization. Entrepreneurial-minded with fresh insights, Soulpepper is seeking a dynamic candidate who will be part of the transformative growth opportunities underway at the Company. If this sounds like you, we invite you to submit your application by July 13.
In this full-time permanent position, the successful candidate will work closely with the Director of Partnerships and Development to execute all aspects of Individual Giving campaigns and strategies including donor identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship. The Manager will lead and oversee the Department’s operational objectives which support and promote fundraising in the areas of donor database, donations processing, fundraising reporting and analysis, donor relations, and donor events. Mentoring one direct report, the Development Coordinator, this role also interfaces with the Board Development Committee and the Board at large, as well as the Executive and Artistic Director to achieve the Department’s annual and long-term goals.
Specific responsibilities of the Manager, Individual Giving include but are not limited to:
1. Actively manage a portfolio of individual donors at the $10,000 giving level and below to ensure a high rate of annual gift renewal and stewardship, identify creative and innovative ways to upgrade donors to this level, as well as move them further up in the giving pipeline;
2. Work with the Director of Partnerships and Development to create an annual fundraising critical path, including renewal projections, goal setting, timing of communications, solicitations and events, and ensures the implementation of these activities;
3. Collaborate with the Director of Partnerships and Development in the cultivation and stewardship of Major Gift donors;
4. Manage stewardship and cultivation of Soulpepper’s Women Centre Stage program, Soul Mates monthly giving program, annual renewal campaigns, and developing new campaign strategies;
5. Ensure tracking, reporting and documentation of donor and prospect activities in Tessitura database in accordance with established procedures and CRA requirements, and coordinate with the Finance Department to reconcile revenue recognition and expense budgets;
6. Develop and maintain excellent relationships with donors and Board volunteers by providing support through cultivation, donor servicing and stewardship activities;
7. Manage preparation and execution of Soulpepper Gala event and opening night events;
8. Collaborate with the Marketing and Communications department on Annual Fund materials including appeals, special events, brochures, stewardship reports and other material;
9. Mentor, train and supervise direct reports within Development Team;
10. In collaboration with the Director of Partnerships and Development, support Volunteer and Board fundraising committees;
11. Contribute to strategy and briefing notes in preparation for asks for the Artistic Director, Executive Director and Director of Partnerships and Development:
12. Attend select Soulpepper performances, receptions and events as required to develop relationships with donors and patrons;
13. Other duties as required.
CANDIDATE KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
The successful candidate is required to have the following knowledge and skills:
• Highly motivated creative and strategic thinker with superior interpersonal skills;
• Superior oral and written communication skills;
• Minimum 3 years’ experience in fundraising/development non-profit environment;
• Superior organizational and analytical skills with the ability to multi-task and manage tight deadlines;
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, PowerPoint and Excel software;
• Understanding and familiarization with fundraising management software, ideally Tessitura;
• Knowledge of not-for-profit fundraising practices and principles, and CRA legislation regarding fundraising and charitable giving;
• Demonstrated attention to detail and accuracy;
• Ability to work independently, as well as in a team environment.
• Performs most duties in a regular office environment with some flexibility for remote working.
• Must be available to work regular office ours however, due to the nature of the performing arts environment, some work may occur outside of regular office hours including evenings and weekends.
In light of the impact of COVID-19 and, in particular, the continuing concerns with variants of COVID-19, Public Health recommendations, and the ready availability of the COVID-19 vaccine, Soulpepper has introduced a mandatory vaccination policy. Soulpepper is strictly mandating that all Employees and Third-Party Companies confirm they have been fully vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine approved by the World Health Organization (WHO). New employees must provide proof of being fully vaccinated no later than 2-weeks prior to their first scheduled day on any Premises. The Company will consider any request for accommodation by an employee who is unable to be vaccinated for bona fide and certified medical reasons, in line with the Human Rights Code.
• Salary of $60,000-$65,000
• 15 vacation days, 5 paid sick days and 5 personal days
• Health and dental benefits
Soulpepper Theatre Company’s (Soulpepper) vision is to share vital stories that connect us all. Soulpepper delivers on that mission by producing a year-round season of over 500 events, including plays, concerts, musicals, festivals and presentations. Led by Executive Director, Gideon Arthurs and Artistic Director, Weyni Mengesha, Soulpepper’s home is the Young Centre for the Performing Arts situated in the historic Distillery District in Corktown in downtown Toronto.
Since April 2022, Soulpepper has returned to in-person programming, with productions and educational programs resuming. For over 15 years, Soulpepper has been delivering youth and educational programs in school and community settings across Southern Ontario, welcoming school and community groups to the theatre, and supporting the creative development of young people through programs such as our Soulpepper Academy, City Youth Academy, Summer Mixtape and Curtain Up Series.
HOW TO APPLY
Soulpepper is an organization committed to pursuing Radical Inclusion that is building a program and organization where everyone’s experience is both valued and reflected. Applicants of all experience levels are welcome to apply.
Soulpepper invites candidates who may require assistance during the application/ hiring process, to let us know and we will work with them to meet their needs.
Soulpepper thanks all candidates for their interest however, will only contact those selected for interviews.