Manager, Major Gifts & Foundations
“The best prescription I’ve ever given is a wish.”
-Dr. Jeremy Friedman, Associate Paediatrician-in-Chief, SickKids Hospital & Medical Advisor for Make-A-Wish® Canada
WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST WISH?
Is it to be part of an organization that is child-focused, values employee experience and is an inspiring workplace? If so, Make-A-Wish is for you!
Make-A-Wish® Canada creates life-changing wishes for children with critical illnesses. We are on a quest to bring every eligible child’s wish to life because a wish is an integral part of a child’s treatment journey. Research shows children who have wishes granted can build the physical and emotional strength they need to fight a critical illness.
“It’s been wonderful to have this wish to look forward to… It’s wonderful to see [Rowan] with something that brings him pure joy after all he’s been through and missed out on!”
–Melissa, mom to wish kid Rowan (age 5, leukemia), who wished for an indoor jungle gym.
MISSION, VISION AND VALUES
Our mission is, together, we create life-changing wishes for children with critical illness.
Supported by our vision to grant the wish of every eligible child.
Our values are Child-Focused, Integrity, Impact, Innovation, and Community.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Meaningful opportunities to make an impact
- An environment where you feel valued and inspired
- An attractive compensation package, including Benefits, RRSP, Paid Vacation, Additional Paid Leaves
- Work/life balance and flexibility
- Employee Wellness Program
- Corporate discounts
- Continuous learning, development and internal training opportunities
- Fun employee activities, contests and more!
Make-A-Wish® Canada is committed to fostering a culture that aims to change lives while offering a rewarding employment experience where your contributions make a true difference every day!
WHERE YOU COME IN
We are looking for Manager, Major Gifts & Foundations to join our team at Make-A-Wish Canada. We are looking for a driven, energetic, and creative person who is responsible for generating philanthropic support from individuals and foundations at the major gift level.
Reporting to the Vice President – Development, Central Canada, you will secure major gifts in the Central Canada region by identifying, cultivating, and stewarding both individual donors and Foundations.
This role is located in Greater Toronto Area and is a full time, permanent position.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- In partnership with the Vice President, Development – Central Canada, develops strategies to increase revenue within the Major Gifts and Foundation portfolio which contributes to the overall fundraising goals of the organization,
- Works collaboratively with the Chapter Advisory Board(s) and senior level staff to identify prospective donors from within and outside of MAWC’s existing network, and facilitate the continued identification
- Develops and maintains a qualified top prospect list in the Central Canada Region, identifies new prospects and works directly or through volunteers to initiate dialogue.
- Personally conduct cultivation visits within the Central Canada Region, solicitation calls, and stewardship activities to meet revenue budgets.
- Manage the operations of the major gifts programs – donor records, prospect pipeline, information tracking, database management, policy and procedures, prospect clearance, donor stewardship in cooperation with key internal departments.
- Participates in the planning and implementation of project related donor events and activities to engage, educate and steward donors and prospects,
- Facilitates gift agreements,
- Provide coaching to further develop staff skills in this area.
- Act as a representative for MAWC by conducting presentations at various meetings and events as required.
- Works in compliance with the provisions of The Occupational Health & Safety Act in the applicable province of employment and its regulations and complies with MAWC’s Health & Safety Policy.
- Other duties as assigned.
WHAT YOU BRING
- Post-secondary education or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Minimum 5-7 years fundraising management experience including proven experience managing a major gifts portfolio as well as experience in planning and executing significant fund development programs and campaigns in collaboration with volunteers. Highly self-motivated and directed,
- Proven track record of identifying, researching, cultivating, soliciting, securing and renewing large individual major gifts
- Strong knowledge of local and provincial donors and prospects; existing familiarity and relationships with these donors and prospects preferred.
- Knowledge of effective fundraising strategies and techniques for growing non-profits; thorough and specific knowledge of the principles and techniques of major giving moves management
- Strong relationship building skills, with the ability to motivate and persuade with tact and diplomacy
- Exceptional interpersonal skills including the ability to relate effectively with people at all levels (internal and external)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong knowledge of and ability to articulate tax benefits of giving
- Ability to handle sensitive, confidential information appropriately and to demonstrate excellent judgement when communicating with our about donors and/or prospects.
- Knowledge of fundraising processes, best practices and current industry trends.
- Experience working in an organization with a national/local dynamic.
- Experience working in the health care and/or community support services sector an asset.
- Literate in computer programs including the Microsoft office applications, Salesforce and Adobe.
- CFRE designation, CAGP and AFP membership and Sales Force experience are strong assets
- Works under pressure with multiple tight deadlines, demands, high volume workload, and dynamic/overlapping priorities
- Manages multiple activities of varying complexity while under time constraints
- Valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle is a requirement for this position
- A clear Criminal Background Check required
- Fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at least 14 days prior to their first day of work, subject to relevant accommodations or exemptions.
YOUR WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Primary accountabilities are carried out in the Ontario Chapter Office, however, will be routinely required to travel to Manitoba, and attend indoor and outdoor events.
- This position requires work outside or beyond traditional office hours and thus requires a flexible schedule year-round, including intermittent evening and weekend work, some overtime required
- Interdepartmental interaction and cooperation required
- Occasional day and/or overnight travel
- Emotional situations in dealing with wish recipients and families facing life threatening conditions or illnesses, in palliative care, and end-of-life stages.
- Demonstrates emotional resiliency to be able to conduct cold-calls and continue to develop donor relations
HOW TO APPLY
If everything you’ve read so far sounds like you, we encourage you to apply now! Please click the following link to apply, application deadline is June 7, 2022.
Make-A-Wish® Canada provides equal opportunity in employment and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Reasonable accommodations due to disability are available on request at any stage of the hiring process.
We thank all applicants for their interest, and we are committed to getting back to all applicants.
- Reviewed by Make-A-Wish Employee
- Phone screening
- 1st interview
- 2nd Interview
- Reference check
- Criminal Background Check
ABOUT MAKE-A-WISH® CANADA
Since 1983, Make-A-Wish Canada has granted over 36,000 wishes across the country, over 900 last year alone. As an independently operating affiliate of Make-A-Wish International, Make-A-Wish Canada is part of the network of the world’s leading children’s wish-granting organization. We serve children in every community in Canada, and in more than 50 countries worldwide.
JOIN OUR ONLINE COMMUNITY
For more information on how you can support Make-A-Wish® Canada or get involved please visit our website at makeawish.ca.