Manager, Major Gifts & Foundations
ABOUT MAKE-A-WISH® CANADA
Make-A-Wish® creates life-changing wishes for children with critical illnesses. We are on a quest to bring every eligible child’s wish to life, because a wish is an integral part of a child’s treatment journey. Research shows children who have wishes granted can build the physical and emotional strength they need to fight a critical illness. As an independently operating affiliate of Make-A-Wish International, Make-A-Wish Canada is part of the network of the world’s leading children’s wish-granting organization. We serve children in every community in Canada, and in more than 50 countries worldwide.
Since 1983, Make-A-Wish Canada has granted over 36,000 wishes across the country, over 900 last year alone. For more information about Make-A-Wish Canada, visit makeawish.ca.
Join our team as a:
Manager, Major Gifts & Foundations
Greater Toronto Area (Temporarily working remotely during COVID-19 Pandemic)
Reference #: MAW091
Reporting to the Vice President – Development, Central Canada, the Manager, Major Gifts & Foundations, is responsible for generating philanthropic support from individuals and foundations at the major gift level. This position will secure major gifts in the Central Canada region by identifying, cultivating, and stewarding both individual donors and Foundations.
- In partnership with the Vice President, Development – Central Canada, develops strategies to increase revenue within the Major Gifts and Foundation portfolio which contributes to the overall fundraising goals of the organization.
- Works collaboratively with the Chapter Advisory Board(s) and senior level staff to identify prospective donors from within and outside of MAWC’s existing network, and facilitate the continued identification.
- Develops and maintains a qualified top prospect list in the Central Canada Region, identifies new prospects and works directly or through volunteers to initiate dialogue.
- Personally conduct cultivation visits within the Central Canada Region, solicitation calls, and stewardship activities to meet revenue budgets.
- Manage the operations of the major gifts programs – donor records, prospect pipeline, information tracking, database management, policy and procedures, prospect clearance, donor stewardship in cooperation with key internal departments.
- Participates in the planning and implementation of project related donor events and activities to engage, educate and steward donors and prospects.
- Facilitates gift agreements.
- Provide coaching to further develop staff skills in this area.
- Act as a representative for MAWC by conducting presentations at various meetings and events as required.
- Works in compliance with the provisions of The Occupational Health & Safety Act in the applicable province of employment and its regulations and complies with MAWC’s Health & Safety Policy.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Post-secondary education or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Minimum 5-7 years fundraising management experience including proven experience managing a major gifts portfolio as well as experience in planning and executing significant fund development programs and campaigns in collaboration with volunteers. Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Proven track record of identifying, researching, cultivating, soliciting, securing and renewing large individual major gifts.
- Strong knowledge of local and provincial donors and prospects; existing familiarity and relationships with these donors and prospects preferred.
- Knowledge of effective fundraising strategies and techniques for growing non-profits; thorough and specific knowledge of the principles and techniques of major giving moves management.
- Strong relationship building skills, with the ability to motivate and persuade with tact and diplomacy.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills including the ability to relate effectively with people at all levels (internal and external).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong knowledge of and ability to articulate tax benefits of giving.
- Ability to handle sensitive, confidential information appropriately and to demonstrate excellent judgement when communicating with our about donors and/or prospects.
- Knowledge of fundraising processes, best practices and current industry trends.
- Experience working in an organization with a national/local dynamic.
- Experience working in the health care and/or community support services sector an asset.
- Literate in computer programs including the Microsoft office applications, Salesforce and Adobe.
- CFRE designation, CAGP and AFP membership and Sales Force experience are strong assets.
- Valid Driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle is a requirement for this position.
- Primary accountabilities are carried out in the Ontario Chapter Office, however, will be routinely required to travel to Manitoba, and attend indoor and outdoor events.
- This position requires work outside or beyond traditional office hours and thus requires a flexible schedule year-round.
- Manages multiple activities of varying complexity while under time constraints.
- Interdepartmental interaction and cooperation required.
- Intermittent evening and weekend work, some overtime required.
PHYSICAL & MENTAL EFFORT
- Works under pressure of tight deadlines, with high volume workload, and with multiple demands and changing priorities.
- Demonstrates emotional resiliency to be able to conduct cold-calls and continue to develop donor relations.
- May be exposed with sensitive situations with respect to Wish Children and families, as well as donors.
A Criminal Background Check is required
WHAT WE OFFER
Make-A-Wish® Canada offers meaningful opportunities to make an impact. We are committed to fostering a culture that aims to change lives, foster compassion and better humanity.
In return for your contributions, we offer an attractive compensation package that encompasses a competitive salary, excellent benefits and the opportunity to have a rewarding employment experience where your contributions can make a true difference every day.
HOW TO APPLY
If your skills, experience and qualifications are aligned with the requirements of this role, we encourage you to apply now. Please click the following link to apply, application deadline is 29 April 2022.
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
Interested in other career opportunities with Make-A-Wish® Canada? Please visit our careers page to see all current career opportunities.
Make-A-Wish® Canada provides equal opportunity in employment and encourages applications from all qualified persons. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
All new Make-A-Wish® Canada employees must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 at least 14 days prior to their first day of work, subject to relevant accommodations or exemptions.
JOIN OUR ONLINE COMMUNITY
For more information on how you can support Make-A-Wish® Canada or get involved please visit our website at makeawish.ca.