Manager of Development
WHO WE ARE
Help build a better city by bringing people together to explore Toronto’s shared past and peoples’ lived experiences. As a charity and an agency of the City of Toronto, we believe that people understand the world through the stories they tell. These diverse stories shape our city’s heritage, which we share through engaging public programs, from tours to plaques, from the Heritage Toronto Awards to digital exhibits. Join us in our work to ensure that heritage plays an essential role in creating a livable and compassionate city, where every resident feels not only reflected, but also has a strong voice in determining its future.
WHO YOU ARE
You are a builder and storyteller who will thrive working in a dynamic role that combines strategic thinking and the grassroots reality of creating and executing programs in a community, partnership and volunteer-driven sector. You are excited to grow the current portfolio of 1/2 million dollars in philanthropic and sponsor support.
Like us, you strive in your work to achieve a more diverse, inclusive, and equitable city that reflects the City of Toronto’s vision statement. Heritage Toronto is committed to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness and building a diverse team. We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications by people from equity-deserving communities. Heritage Toronto will provide barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities act (AODA). If contacted for an employment opportunity, please let us know if you require accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process.
The Manager of Development is responsible for building Heritage Toronto’s revenue generating capacity, including maintaining and actively building donor and sponsor relationships, government and foundation grant requests, and creating new partnership opportunities.
- Steward the largest sponsorship in the agency’s history, the Heritage Equity Initiative
- Support the next generation of heritage advocates through the Emerging Historians fundraising campaign
- Provide direct support to the Board of Directors and Development Committee;
- Strengthen current and prospective individual donor relationships to build a robust annual giving program;
- Build the development programs with related strategies that involve corporate giving, sponsorships, and foundation grants;
- Work with the program team to create stewardship packages and proposals with a thorough knowledge of the agency’s ability to deliver benefits;
- Manage and mentor a Development Coordinator
- Enhance the profile of Heritage Toronto as a premier charity for existing and potential supporters through stewardship and timely and informative communications;
- Manage the fund-raising database (E-Tapestry) to ensure strong data integrity and interface between philanthropic and accounting functions.
- Minimum 3-5 years of progressive fund development experience, achieving or exceeding annual revenue goals;
- Demonstrated success in building an individual gifts program;
- Demonstrated success in achieving sponsor partnerships;
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including an ability to establish and maintain productive working relationships with staff, community stakeholders and the public;
- Ability to work on own initiative in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple deadlines;
- An enthusiasm for the mission of Heritage Toronto;
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings or weekends as required;
- High digital literacy and a proven proficiency in utilizing a variety of software and online applications. Knowledge of CRM systems, especially E-Tapestry, an asset.
The Manager of Development is a full-time (35 hours/week) permanent position reporting to the Executive Director. The successful candidate will be working in a hybrid environment: working a minimum of two days a week in our offices at Historic St. Lawrence Hall, 157 King St. East, Toronto. The remaining days will be conducted remotely, interacting with team members over Zoom, Slack, and other communication channels. You will work standard business hours, with occasional evenings and weekends required to support Heritage Toronto meetings and events.
In return for your skills and dedication, we offer an attractive compensation package that includes, but is not limited to:
- matching pension plan
- 3-weeks paid vacation
- health, dental and life insurance benefits
- additional $4,500/year health spending account Preferred Start Date: June 12, 2023
Preferred Start Date: June 12, 2023
Want to Make a Difference in your city?
- Apply through our website heritagetoronto.org
- Deadline to Apply: Tuesday, May 23rd @ 9 a.m.
- We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those invited to be interviewed will be contacted.