Manager of Development
Informed Opinions is looking for an experienced, relationship-focused Manager of Development to advance philanthropic support. The successful candidate, reporting to the Director/Catalyst, will plan and implement the organization’s development activities to support its mission.
About Informed Opinions
The absence of diverse women’s experience-informed insights undermines democracy, denies Canada access to the analysis and ideas of many of its informed and perceptive voices, and reduces our capacity to effectively address the social, economic and environmental challenges we face. As under-represented as women are as a whole, Black, Indigenous and racialized women, women living with a disability, those who identify as Two-Spirit, gender diverse, and/or LGBTQQIA — their vital insights are often further marginalized.
Informed Opinions is a nimble and impactful national non-profit feminist organization established in 2010 to amplify the voices of women in all their diversity. In pursuit of a more equitable and democratic Canada, we motivate and train those with subject matter expertise to share their informed opinions through media. We feature and actively promote thousands of qualified sources through our online database for journalists. And we conduct research to document our progress through the Gender Gap Tracker, an online digital analytics tool that measures and makes public the persistent under-representation of women’s voices in Canada’s most influential news media.
Our small team delivers outsize impact and has always operated virtually.
We’re currently leading two significant systemic change projects. Our multifaceted “Toxic Hush” campaign aims to address the silencing impact that online harassment is having on women, threatening to erase the equality gains we’ve made over the past three decades. It includes both a soon-to-launch research tool to measure the impact of the problem and an upcoming Peoples’ Tribunal to give public voice to those most affected. We’re also coordinating an ambitious thought leadership project to increase gender parity in politics.
The Ideal Candidate
A highly motivated and experienced non-profit fundraiser with an entrepreneurial mindset, the Manager of Development will be passionate and creative in developing and implementing a strategic fundraising plan to support Informed Opinion’s mission to amplify the voices of women and gender-diverse people for a more democratic Canada.
The successful candidate will have exceptionally strong written and verbal communication skills, strong relationship-building abilities and a demonstrated capacity to strategically identify and execute all aspects of relevant fundraising approaches. Duties will include researching, engaging and cultivating relevant prospects, developing proposals, making asks and managing stewardship.
In addition to growing philanthropic and sponsorship revenues, the successful candidate will understand the importance of developing Informed Opinions as a social enterprise and building strategic partnerships that contribute to the achievement of the organization’s overall financial and programming goals.
This opportunity requires a self-aware, mission-aligned and collaborative development manager with the ability to help refine and deliver on the organization’s key strategic priorities. The ideal candidate is resourceful, creative and accountable, measuring impact and outcomes to nurture a results-oriented culture.
- Work collaboratively with the Director/Catalyst in developing and refining the organization’s fundraising and development strategy;
- Execute the fundraising plan adhering to an agreed-upon timetable and milestones, communications, budget, data requirements, with formal and regular reports;
- Actively identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward a portfolio of donors with major gift capacity from individual, corporate and foundation sources;
- Develop and expand the incipient mid-level and annual giving program campaigns;
- Support the Founder and Board/campaign volunteers with research, meeting solicitations and briefing notes to support related activity.
Qualifications and Key Competencies
- 5-10 years of experience in progressively more demanding roles in not-for-profit, charitable, private and/or public sectors;
- Fundraising experience with proven results in delivering successful donor development strategies, within a charitable/not-for-profit organization;
- Experience in successful funding proposal development;
- Exceptional verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent project and time management skills, including the ability to meet deadlines and collaborate with a team working virtually;
- Experience in supporting and mobilizing senior volunteers/executives both as members of the board of directors and other networks of the organization;
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship building abilities;
- An undergraduate degree is required;
- An understanding of how to work with government including building relationships, identifying program opportunities, accessing funding programs and negotiating funding contracts;
- The ability to speak and write in French would be considered an asset.
Informed Opinions is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. Hiring team members with diverse backgrounds and perspectives informed by intersectional identities has considerably enriched our work and enhanced our impact, and it remains a priority. We cultivate an open, supportive and respectful environment that permits each person to contribute, collaborate, grow and feel a sense of belonging.
Location: Qualified candidates must have access to a computer and reliable internet but can be based anywhere in Canada
Salary Range: $75,000 – $90,000/year (based on full-time hours) for a one-year contract (with possibility of renewal) and dependent on relevant experience and qualifications
All Informed Opinions’ staff currently work as self-employed contractors; health and dental benefits and vacation pay are not available at this time.
All qualified candidates are welcome to apply; however, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
In accordance with provincial legislation, accommodation will be provided by Informed Opinions throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. If you require accommodations during the recruitment process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Letters and resumes should be directed to email@example.com
Informed Opinions acknowledges that our work takes place on the un-ceded, un-surrendered territories of Indigenous peoples across the country whose presence here reaches back to time immemorial. We recognize them as the customary keepers and defenders of the waterways, and honour their long history of welcoming many Nations to these territories. We recognize the historical oppression of lands, cultures and the original peoples in what we now know as Canada and seek to contribute to the healing and decolonizing journey we all share together.
We thank all candidates who apply for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.