Manager, Philanthropy (Contract Opportunity for 20 months)
At Trillium Health Partners Foundation, our vision is bold: raise funds to build a new kind of health care for a healthier community. Our work supports Trillium Health Partners – Credit Valley Hospital, Mississauga Hospital and Queensway Health Centre, one of the largest community hospital networks in Canada, caring for the fastest growing region in Ontario.
With diverse backgrounds and complementary skill sets, our talented team drives fundraising revenue to meet the highest priority needs for our hospital, securing record-breaking gifts such as the largest individual donation of $105 million and the largest corporate donation of $75 million to a hospital in Canada to build the future home of The Peter Gilgan Mississauga Hospital, which will become the largest hospital in the country. Our experienced leadership team is led by Caroline Riseboro, who was recognized as one of Canada’s Most Admired CEOs in 2019 and most recently received the Greater Toronto Chapter’s Association of Fundraising Professional’s Outstanding Fundraising Professional Award, a testament to her ability to lead our team to unprecedented success.
If you want to join our outstanding roster of talent and help us break even more records, please consider applying for one of our open positions and help us build the future of health care.
We are seeking a Manager, Philanthropy to contribute to significant growth in our Philanthropy (major gifts) portfolio and assume a lead role in raising critical funds as part of our comprehensive campaign for Trillium Health Partners. Reporting to the Director, Philanthropy the Manager will play an integral role in the achievement of the Foundation’s campaign goals, by cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding a portfolio of major gift prospects and senior level volunteers, including physicians and cabinet members.
The Manager will be part of a high performing and successful seventeen-member philanthropy team that works collaboratively with colleagues and hospital partners to inspire investment in a new kind of healthcare for a healthier community.
With a high level of energy, enthusiasm and the eagerness to contribute to what we want to build, the Manager, Philanthropy will be self-motivated and driven to succeed with excellent problem solving skills. Passionately excited by our mission to inspire investment in a new kind of healthcare for a healthier community, the successful candidate will possess a deep commitment to build donor centric relationships with sensitivity and professionalism.
The Manager will focus on long term and sustainable revenue generation where relationship building and project management is a key driver. The ideal candidate will be an experienced fundraising professional with proven success in closing major gifts from individuals, corporations and foundations at six figure gift levels. The new incumbent will also have experience working with senior level volunteers and encourage philanthropic commitment from our campaign cabinet and physicians by engaging and building relationships of trust and accountability.
Supportive and respectful, the successful candidate will be a solutions-oriented team player with the ability to operate in the “grey” and collaboratively work with team members toward a common objective. With a one-team mentality, the Manager will value learning from others and sharing knowledge with colleagues to assure the success of our team and the growth of our organization. As a leader with one direct report the ability to coach and mentor are key and required strengths.
- Personally develop and manage a portfolio of at least 75 donors and prospective major gift donors ($25,000 +) in various stages of prospecting, cultivation, solicitation & stewardship.
- Pipeline includes physician referrals (Honour a Health Care Champion Program), campaign cabinet member referrals, individuals, corporations and foundations
- Support leadership with strategy & project proposal development for prospects who have the capacity to give $500,000 or greater
- Develop donor pitch decks and proposal (writing) for donors under up to the $1 million level
- Support the preparation of compelling and strategic fundraising materials including, but not limited to, briefing notes, proposals, letters, presentation decks, speaking notes
- Manage Campaign Cabinet members and physician champions with strategy, briefing notes, prospecting, administration and follow up to ensure campaign cabinet members and their connections have a positive philanthropic experience.
- In partnership with the Director, the manager will be responsible to for implementation of the Honour a Health Care Champion (HHCC) Referral Program with current hospital champions and be the foundation lead for multiple clinical areas.
- Work collaboratively & cross-functionally with the THPF team to ensure a seamless and donor-centred experience for the HHCC stakeholders including donors and hospital champions and the annual Honour a Healthcare Champion team
- In partnership with the donor experience team, provide ongoing stewardship and high touch experiences to our major donors, with a focus on reporting and donor retention.
- In partnership with the annual giving team, project lead the matching gift program for the philanthropy portfolio
- Project manage in collaboration with the marketing team gift announcements in the $1Million – $4,999,999 range.
- Assist in the development, tracking & execution of the year-round philanthropy operational plan and budget to meet revenue goals
- Maintain donor and prospect records including: entering and maintaining solicitation and donor information, call reports, proposals & referral tracking
- Develop strategic touch points for donors to inform them of initiatives that align with their giving such as research and clinical breakthroughs, events, and webinars
- Identify ways to recognize and steward donors for their contributions, including thank you calls and written communications.
- Work with clinicians and program writer to develop and present proposals that enable the donor to make informed decisions regarding their support.
- Continuously communicate with clinicians to learn more about their research and funding priorities and opportunities.
- Develop a strong relationship with cabinet members and clinicians to identify new prospects and provide stewardship updates for existing donors.
- Schedule and actively participate in meetings between clinicians and prospects or current donors.
- Act as a project manager manage with hospital leaders, including the research and innovation team to gain the necessary information needed for pitch decks, proposals and stewardship reports
- Act as a champion and role model in support of the Foundation’s mission. Reinforce a professional and customer service oriented culture that supports community engagement and provides the team with a work environment that is challenging and rewarding.
- Actively coach and mentor colleagues & staff, including physicians through the HHCC referral program
- Work collaboratively with other Foundation departments and model a Foundation First mindset
- Lead by example to build excitement and accountability with teams members to emulate similar behaviour.
- Manage 1 team member; Coordinator, philanthropy
- Demonstrate proficiency for computer and internet technology including Microsoft Office, PowerPoint/efficiency building and editing deck and Raiser’s Edge (Prospect Management Module) Fundraising Software.
Compliance to Standards:
- With the Vice President of Finance, ensure that Trillium Health Partners Foundation meets or exceeds all legal, financial, professional and internally established requirements including provincial and federal regulatory agencies. Abide by the ethical standards established by membership in national and international fundraising associations.
- Over 5 years proven track record of cultivating & soliciting Major Gifts and working with senior level volunteers.
- Previous experience in healthcare philanthropy, or related areas would be an asset, as would previous management or team-lead experience.
- Demonstrated ability to set and achieve ambitious fundraising goals.
- Previous successful campaign and hospital experience would be an asset.
- Ability to understand the needs and interests of individual donors, corporations and other funding agencies in order to develop mutually beneficial relationships with the Hospital and Foundation.
- Interest in all aspects of health and a dedication to promoting Trillium Health Partners’ fundraising priorities by helping to create excellent working relationships with medical staff, senior administrative leaders, volunteers and other Foundation staff.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work within a senior management team to successfully multi-task and manage complex and diverse projects.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal and networking skills with donors, volunteers, and the THP team.
- Personal presentation and approach to ensure the highest level of professional representation of the Foundation at all times.
- Facility with donor management systems, in particular Raiser’s Edge.
- University or other post-secondary education is preferred.
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) designation an asset.
- Flexible work environment
- This position requires travel and a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle are required.