Manager, Prospect Research (maternity leave cover)
A Career Opportunity
UNICEF is the world’s farthest-reaching humanitarian organization for children. Across 190 countries and territories, and in the world’s toughest places, we work day in and day out to help children survive. To defend their rights. To keep them protected, healthy and educated. To give them a fair chance to fulfil their potential. Our work for every child relies entirely on voluntary support, including donations from generous Canadians.
Manager, Prospect Research (maternity leave cover)
(17-month contract; Full-time; based in Toronto)
Reporting to the Director, Development (Donor Relations), the Manager, Prospect Research plays a key role in creating and implementing the strategy, systems and processes related to prospect research, pipeline development and moves management in support of UNICEF Canada’s fundraising initiatives and revenue targets.
Working in partnership with UNICEF Canada’s Corporate and Major Donor teams, the Chief Development Officer and Executive office, this role facilitates the management, coordination, administration, and delivery of information, supporting their ability to identify, solicit, cultivate and steward prospects, donors and senior volunteers.
The responsibilities of the position will include:
Research Strategy & Systems (25%)
• In collaboration with the Director, Donor Relations builds the necessary research & pipeline development strategy, systems architecture and related metrics to support the Development team’s pipeline and new revenue goals.
• Develops and manages a system to promote moves management of donors with increased giving potential, coordinating with the relevant teams to ensure an effective process for identification, cultivation and tracking.
• Acts as project manager and conduit for the development team, helping to define their needs related to research, pool and pipeline development, system requirements, capabilities and reporting, collaborating with the Business Solutions team to implement the necessary business rules and system solutions and onboarding of relevant team members.
• Conducts regular analysis of prospect research activities to determine ROI and effectiveness in meeting the defined goals.
• Demonstrates ability to prioritize and project manage research requests in a timely and effective manner.
• Develop and maintain division-wide business-rule documents documentation and training as needed.
• In collaboration with the Director, play a critical role in the evolution of new analysis and reports and drive new processes for effective presentation of findings.
Prospect Research & Portfolio Management (40%)
• Leads and utilizes best practices for identifying and qualifying prospects, coordinating all aspects of prospect research for the organization through ongoing research, data mining, prospect identification and qualification activities in support of the Major Donor, Corporate and Executive teams.
• Optimization and ongoing management of fundraiser portfolios, contributing to prospect development strategy, providing training to relationship/partnership managers, generating reports and analyzing data in support of UNICEF’s fundraising programs.
• Oversees the maintenance and management of prospect pools and pipelines in Raiser’s Edge, in coordination with the Officer, Prospect Research, ensuring identified prospects and donors are accurately coded and reflect current prospect status.
• Oversees the management of prospect research tools, resources and subscriptions and tracks costs against annual Donor Relations budget. Conducts an annual audit of research resources ensuring the right tools are in place to meet pipeline development and research needs for the organization’s goals.
• Manages the prospect clearance UNICEF protocols on behalf of development team members.
• Manage UNICEF Canada’s board and volunteer pipeline process in collaboration with the CDO and Executive team.
• Writes profiles, briefing notes and prospect identification briefs for the Major Donor and Corporate teams, including prospect briefings for cultivation and stewardship events.
Data Integrity (25%)
• Utilize business intelligence software to design and execute data analyses that will provide UNICEF Canada leadership and staff with the tools to make strategic data-informed decisions.
• Lead for the Development team to ensure Raiser’s Edge data integrity as it relates to prospect and donor management, campaign achievements, and corporate, and major gifts teams. Fosters inter-team collaboration in implementing new data processes and creating solutions to data needs.
• Provide recommendations to fundraising staff on how to interpret, understand, and leverage data visualization and predictive data model scores for the benefit of prospect discovery and prospect, portfolio and pipeline management.
• Identify opportunities to improve prospect management, tracking and related processes.
• Working with the Donor Engagement & Administration and Business Solutions teams to: Ensures the timely import and appropriate coding of prospect lists and donor information in Raiser’s Edge, where appropriate, and following established business rules; Creates and assists in managing dashboards, reporting and other portfolio management tools for major donor and corporate teams.
People Management (10%)
• Develop effective, motivated team to achieve common goals with clearly defined accountabilities which are aligned with overall strategy.
• Recruit, retain and develop an effective and motivated team to achieve common team goals.
• Conduct goal setting planning as well as quarterly and year end performance reviews for direct reports as established by organization processes.
• Encourage, coach and foster opportunities for development and personal growth.
• Support employee engagement strategies as required.
The ideal candidate will have:
• Post secondary degree, diploma or equivalent years’ work experience in business or library studies with a focus in fundraising research, or other applicable analytical disciplines.
• Minimum 4 to 5 years relevant work experience in fundraising, business or library studies, with a focus on prospect research.
• Process-driven with strong organizational and time management skills with demonstrated ability to multi-task, adapt to changing priorities, and meet deadlines with excellent attention to detail and accuracy.
• People management experience and the ability to provide leadership, coaching and feedback.
• Excellent client service and relationship management skills, with a strong ability to communicate process.
• Superior verbal and written communications skills.
• Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office, Outlook etc.).
• Demonstrated expertise utilizing Raiser’s Edge and Raiser’s Edge NXT and Research tools such as iWave and/or other relational fundraising databases.
• French language skills, particularly reading comprehension an asset.
• Demonstrated professionalism in handling highly sensitive and confidential information ethically and with discretion.
Salary range: $62,000 to $73,000 per year.
For consideration, please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com by July 15, 2022. Please attach your cover letter (including salary expectations) and resume as one document and reference “Manager, Prospect Research (maternity leave cover)” clearly in the subject heading.
UNICEF Canada sincerely thanks all applicants for their expressed interest in this opportunity, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Consistent with our Child Safeguarding Policy, the successful candidate must receive clearance by a police background check, including a vulnerable sector screen.
UNICEF Canada is an inclusive workplace and is committed to championing diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the requirements for the position.