National Director, Corporate Partnerships & Philanthropy
National Director, Corporate Partnerships & Philanthropy
JDRF is the largest non-profit organization in the world that is exclusively focused on type 1 diabetes (T1D). At JDRF, we realize that a cure is not just a destination but a journey. Our goal is to progressively remove the impact of type 1 diabetes (T1D) from people’s lives and funding research into cures is our #1 priority. While we wait for cures, we also fund ground-breaking research that seeks to improve the lives of people with T1D.
In January 2021, JDRF Canada launched its $100M Campaign to Accelerate, a bold fundraising initiative that aims to transform our approach to T1D research, redesigning it for speed and maximizing our impact. It will move us beyond insulin and accelerate towards cures. This is an exciting time to join JDRF as the Campaign will rally volunteers from coast to coast to help us raise $100 million over the next five years to bring innovative and life-changing therapies to patients and families faster, and to ensure that Canadians living with T1D have greater access to lifesaving technology and mental health supports that help more people thrive.
We’re currently seeking National Director, Partnerships and Corporate Philanthropy to lead our Foundation Giving, Partnerships and Corporate Philanthropy team in creating transformational and mutually beneficial relationships between JDRF and a wide range of partners to bring maximum impact for JDRF.
In this position, you would have the opportunity to:
- Create and lead JDRF’s corporate philanthropy and foundation giving strategy including identifying prospects, aligning prospects with campaign priorities, supporting members of the Foundation Giving, Partnerships and Corporate Philanthropy team in solicitation of philanthropic support and overseeing the stewardship of philanthropic and sponsorship donors
- Identify, cultivate, and solicit foundations, partners, and public and private corporations to develop innovative partnership opportunities and sponsor key programs which will generate financial and/or in-kind support of JDRF including sponsorship, employee engagement, event participation, cause-related marketing, promotion, and philanthropic giving
- Provide oversight and leadership on the operations of the Foundation Giving, Partnerships and Corporate Philanthropy team, including developing key performance indicators, monitoring against results, ensuring reports are in place to measure teams impact, monitor department budget, enhancing the process for how prospects are moved through the team and finding efficiencies for the team
- Lead, coach and develop team through one-on-one supervision and over team management, including assessing workload, prioritizing activity, ensuring resources are allocated against opportunities where they can have the maximum benefit to the organization, and meeting aggressive revenue goals
- Maintain a portfolio of prospects including developing engagement strategies and moving them towards a gift
- Responsible for the valuation of programs and properties, including assessing the value of benefits and determining a sponsorship value for each program and property
- Review and approve all partnership agreements, both national and regional
- Provide leadership and coaching on best practices in partnerships and philanthropy to the immediate team and broader Development team, acting as subject matter expert
- Develop skills and provide tools to Foundation Giving, Partnerships and Corporate Philanthropy team members to support the focused development of corporate partnerships both regionally and nationally to steward sponsors and grow from local to national sponsorships
- Drive collaboration, cross-functionally and diplomatically across JDRF, to lead the development and ongoing stewardship of account strategies on all JDRF key national corporate accounts
- Monitor the implementation of account strategies, mentoring, coaching and championing corporate partnerships staff required to achieve immediate and longer term, sustained success to grow corporate support
- Develop a diverse national corporate prospect pipeline to move sponsors from the local to national level where possible
- Support the international account management strategy with JDRFI counterparts ensuring that affiliate roles and responsibilities’ are adhered to
- Develop and manage Foundation Giving, Corporate Partnerships and Philanthropy budget
Does this sound like the opportunity you’ve been waiting for? If you have the following qualifications, we’d love to hear from you!
- 8-10 years of proven experience in a nonprofit environment or high relationship-based environment combined with a university degree in a related discipline or an equivalent combination of experience and education
- Certificate in Fundraising Management and/or Certified Fund Raising Executive (‘CFRE’) certification, membership in the Association of Fundraising Professionals (‘AFP’) are assets
- Excellent people management and leadership skills; ability to coach, develop and mentor staff
- Experience in foundation support within higher education and/or patient care and research sectors
- Proven corporate development/sales experience
- Experience working successfully with senior corporate leaders
- An entrepreneurial spirit to grow corporate partnership and philanthropy by moving quickly on opportunities
- Experience cultivating donor relationships and growing revenue from corporate prospects
- Strong written and oral communication skills and the ability to positively interact with external clients, donors, leadership volunteers and internal staff across the organization
- Proven ability to develop, maintain and actively leverage cooperative working relationship with demonstrated ability to work both in a team environment as well as independently
- Ability to successfully guide and execute partnerships in a matrixed reporting environment
- Ability to articulate the mission and goals of JDRF to the community at large both verbally and in all forms of written communication
- Demonstrated negotiation skills
- Self-motivated, capable of identifying the need for and taking independent action,
- Goal-oriented, personable and service-oriented
- Ability to work within a tight timeline and prioritize in a fast-paced dynamic environment
- Proficient computer skills in Microsoft office; Experience with CRM
- Some flexibility to travel including throughout the region (10%), country (10%), attendance at evening and weekend events, and participation at international meetings as required
Location Preference: Flexible within Canada – We are a remote-first organization so it is expected the incumbent in this role will work remotely from home. Any employees located in the Greater Toronto Area may have access to an office space in Toronto for hybrid-work options.
Mandatory vaccination policy: We require all JDRF employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. The health, safety and well-being of our employees, volunteers, visitors, donors and event participants is our top priority. Throughout the pandemic, we have made adjustments to our health and safety guidelines, protocols and policies along the way based on the evolution of COVID-19 as well as public health guidelines, regional conditions and science-based evidence. Vaccinations, combined with other health measures remain the best way for everyone to help protect our staff, volunteers, donors and T1D community
Why choose JDRF?
At JDRF, we foster innovation and strive to think differently while working towards our mission in a collaborative, dynamic and positive work environment. Each day, we live our core values of Respect, Understanding and Integrity; Perseverance; Collaboration; Risk Taking and Entrepreneurship; and Efficiency, Effectiveness and Accountability. We prioritize growing our talent from within and strive to provide development opportunities to our team. We also offer a competitive compensation package including (employer paid) group benefits, group RRSP matching program, paid annual vacation, professional development opportunities and flexible working arrangements.
Ready to apply? Please submit your application online by July 10, 2022.
JDRF strives to foster a workplace that reflects the diversity of the community it serves and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates. JDRF is also committed to developing an inclusive, barrier-free selection process and work environment. Please advise if you require any accommodation measures to ensure you will be interviewed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation requests will be treated with confidentiality.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.