National Director, Events and Annual Giving
JDRF is the largest non-profit organization in the world that is exclusively focused on type 1 diabetes (T1D). At JDRF, we realize that a cure is not just a destination but a journey. Our goal is to progressively remove the impact of type 1 diabetes (T1D) from people’s lives and funding research into cures is our #1 priority. While we wait for cures, we also fund ground-breaking research that seeks to improve the lives of people with T1D.
It’s an exciting time to join JDRF as we grow our team to support our ambitious plans to raise more funds than ever to accelerate research towards cures and innovative and life-changing therapies for people living with T1D.
Are you a dynamic, innovative and strategic leader looking to oversee a strategic approach to fundraising? We’re searching for an experienced fundraising and events leader for the role of National Director, Events and Annual Giving to develop and lead JDRF’s overall strategy to deepen the engagement of individuals through fundraising events and annual giving, with a primary goal of growing overall net revenue. As National Director, you will be able to think big and develop JDRF’s overall donor journey, while not missing out on the details. Helping you achieve this is a talented team of staff and volunteers.
Does the above resonate with you? As the National Director, Events and Annual Giving, you would have the opportunity to make an impact by:
- Leading the overall strategy to engage individuals (<$5k) and community groups through event fundraising and giving at JDRF, which includes developing the donor journey for these audiences, developing benchmarks for acquisition, retention, and annual plans for delivery and monitoring;
- Developing the annual fundraising strategies for Ride, Walk and other Community fundraising programs that include key performance indicators, standards, best practices and appropriate budgets based upon a program business review;
- Establishing a 3-year rolling roadmap to grow annual giving, with a focus on monthly and mid-level giving;
- Delivering monthly and annual reporting and analysis of revenue activity, with solutions to mitigate variances, and the creation of the annual revenue forecast and Ride, Walk and Annual Giving expense budgets;
- Leading the integration of events and annual giving, identifying opportunities and strategies to move donors through the donor lifecycle from mid-level to major donors and maximize donor engagement;
- Supporting the Events team delivery of event support on stewardship and cultivation events;
- Achieving the national annual revenue budget for Ride and Walk programs by engaging volunteer leaders and fundraising staff across the country;
- Providing support to regional teams in a collaborative approach which encourages perseverance, donor-centered fundraising, innovation and entrepreneurship;
- Leading the research, development and evaluation of innovative peer-to-peer and community fundraising strategies to maximize revenue, including developing new fundraising elements, investigating ways to use technology in fundraising and ensuring online fundraising software is aligned with the overall development strategy;
- Leading, coaching, and inspiring a team of committed fundraisers through one-on-one supervision, coaching and overall team performance management; which is in line with JDRF’s culture of collaboration, respect and entrepreneurship;
- Assessing current priorities, workload, and resources on a going basis and establishing an action plan ensuring that immediate needs are met while longer-term strategies, plans and actions are developed;
- Leading the National Walk and Ride volunteer cabinets including the recruitment, engagement and alignment of the cabinet to achieve the organization’s goals; Strategizing and supporting the recruitment of Regional volunteer event cabinets, including identifying industries under-represented nationally;
- Partnering closely with other National and Regional leaders and teams to achieve program objectives.
Does this sound like the opportunity you’ve been waiting for? If you bring the following qualifications, we’d love to hear from you!
- University degree in a related field combined with 8 – 10 years of progressive not-for-profit experience, including experience in a leadership capacity, or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Leadership experience managing a variety of revenue streams including annual giving, events and corporate giving with a proven track record of building fundraising success;
- Experience managing revenue targets of at least $5 million;
- Knowledge and skill in fundraising management and a strong understanding of development best practices;
- Broad knowledge, experience and skill in development with emphasis on strategic communications, problem solving and team building;
- Experience working with senior volunteer leaders;
- Ability to lead and influence staff and volunteer teams and create a culture of accountability;
- Ability to create consensus and buy-in from staff who are not direct reports;
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment with multiple teams, executing a strategic plan nationally while working collaboratively in achieving goals with staff and colleagues regionally;
- Creative and strategic thinking, energetic and goal-oriented;
- Attention to detail while also having the ability to see the “big picture;”
- Strong skill in dealing with ambiguity;
- Ability to diagnose opportunities and propose solutions that meet the overall Foundation’s needs;
- Ability to work within a tight timeline and prioritize in a fast-paced environment;
- Fluency in French, both written and verbal, is an asset;
- Proficient computer skills in Microsoft office; experience with a CRM.
Location Preference: Flexible within Canada – We are a remote-first organization so it is expected the incumbent in this role will work remotely from home. Any employees located in the Greater Toronto Area may have access to an office space in Toronto for hybrid-work options if requested.
Mandatory vaccination policy: We require all JDRF employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. The health, safety and well-being of our employees, volunteers, visitors, donors and event participants is our top priority. Throughout the pandemic, we have made adjustments to our health and safety guidelines, protocols and policies along the way based on the evolution of COVID-19 as well as public health guidelines, regional conditions and science-based evidence. Vaccinations, combined with other health measures remain the best way for everyone to help protect our staff, volunteers, donors and T1D community
Why choose JDRF?
At JDRF, we foster innovation and strive to think differently while working towards our mission in a collaborative, dynamic and positive work environment. Each day, we live our core values of Respect, Understanding and Integrity; Perseverance; Collaboration; Risk Taking and Entrepreneurship; and Efficiency, Effectiveness and Accountability. We prioritize growing our talent from within and strive to provide development opportunities to our team. We also offer a competitive compensation package including (employer paid) group benefits, group RRSP matching program, paid annual vacation, professional development opportunities and flexible working arrangements.
Submit your resume and cover letter for consideration today!
Anticipated salary for new incumbent is $95,000-$120,000, commensurate with experience.
JDRF strives to foster a workplace that reflects the diversity of the community it serves and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates. JDRF is also committed to developing an inclusive, barrier-free selection process and work environment. Please advise if you require any accommodation measures to ensure you will be interviewed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation requests will be treated with confidentiality.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.