Operations & Membership Services Specialist
Position Title: Operations & Membership Services Specialist (Full-time position)
Reports to: Executive Director, AFP Greater Toronto Chapter
Closes: Wednesday, March 28, 2023
The organization: The Association of Fundraising Professionals – Greater Toronto Chapter (AFP GTC) is a recognized leader in promoting philanthropy and providing education, training and best practices for those in the fundraising profession. With almost 1000 members, the Greater Toronto Chapter is the largest of the more than 241 AFP chapters throughout the world.
The Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) is the professional association of individuals and organizations that generate philanthropic support for a wide variety of charitable institutions. Founded in 1960, AFP advances philanthropy through its more than 27,000 members in more than 240 chapters throughout the world. AFP has inspired global change and supported efforts that have generated over $1 trillion. AFP’s individual and organizational members raise over $115 billion annually, equivalent to one-third of all charitable giving in North America, and millions more around the world.
The Position: This position is full-time at the AFP Greater Toronto Chapter, with some evening hours. The AFP Greater Toronto Chapter operates under a hybrid model with staff expected to work in the office up to two days per week (in office or on-site may increase in weeks leading up to and during orchestration of events). The AFP Greater Toronto Chapter office is located in downtown Toronto.
We are looking for an enthusiastic individual capable of working in a fast-paced, small team environment. The Operations & Membership Services Specialist plays a pivotal role in providing membership, administrative, and program support.
Our goal is to ensure that AFP GTC members receive high value, experience strong customer service, and feel a deep mission connection to our organization. The Operations & Member Services Specialist is a key link with our members. They will ensure that AFP’s membership program is well-organized and meets the needs of diverse constituents. They will work collaboratively with internal and external colleagues and partners to ensure that membership is fully integrated across all facets of AFP GTC’s work.
Reporting to the Executive Director the Operations & Membership Services Specialist works closely with the Executive Director and the AFP GTC Membership and Marketing Committee to administer AFP GTC’s long-term membership and operational strategies, coordinating activities with staff and volunteers to fulfill AFP GTC’s objectives. The Operations & Membership Services Specialist also manages and administers membership initiatives, streamlines, and improves business processes, collaborates on business planning and budgeting, and analyzes the effectiveness of existing business functions to facilitate and sustain AFP GTC’s growth.
On a daily basis, the Operations & Membership Services Specialist responds to member inquiries, requests, and complaints, investigating and resolving member complaints and concerns, and providing information and ongoing education to members about benefits, and policies, and procedures. Additionally, they are responsible for processing and auditing transactions, including purchases, deposits, withdrawals, and payments.
The successful candidate must have a positive, friendly attitude and be comfortable and confident when engaging with members, prospective members and program participants. Excellent written and spoken communication skills are required as well as competency in Microsoft Office Suite programs. Experience using databases to manage memberships and track registrations is also required. Prior experience working a high volume, member-focused environment a plus as is prior work experience in a non-profit association.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Ensure that data about our members is accurate and up-to-date.
- Respond to member and prospective member inquiries, perform member outreach, and follow up with members on dues and membership-related topics. Develop reports on membership metrics and recommend/develop new member programs and services.
- Develop, implement, and monitor day-to-day membership administration and processes that provide visibility into goals, progress, and obstacles for key initiatives.
- Process membership applications; manage membership recruitment and renewal appeals and invoicing.
- Orient new members.
- Plan, monitor, and analyze key metrics related to membership growth and generate reports to inform member engagement and retention strategy.
- Coordinate current member service.
- Administer services and programs for members, including mentorship program, relationship building and contracting with vendors and benefit providers.
- Actively work with the Executive Director and volunteers to identify needs for new services and assist in the development, content, scope, and cost of those programs.
- Oversee the development, planning, and implementation of the organization’s membership initiatives, including member retention and recruitment efforts.
- Liaise with the AFP GTC Membership and Marketing Committee – plan and administer meetings and conference calls, disseminate information, and keep meeting minutes.
- Work with the Marketing & Communications Specialist to communicate membership value and benefits to current and prospective members via our website and email communications.
- Develop and implement member recruitment campaigns.
- Engage staff and volunteers in member recruitment and retention.
- Participate in planning/organizing annual conferences and events as needed.
- Handle registration for all annual conferences and events.
- As a member of the AFP GTC staff team, work on special projects throughout the year.
- Devise strategies to ensure growth of programs, identifying and implementing process improvements that will maximize output and minimize costs.
- Support the Executive Director, AFP GTC, and act as an integral resource to fully integrate operations into those of AFP, ensuring consistent, efficient workflows are in place to yield optimal productivity and performance.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- 3+ years of experience in a similar role, managing association membership, operations, and administration.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Strong knowledge of association membership and operations principles and practices, with the capacity to effectively manage concurrent projects.
- The ideal candidate will be interested in pursuing a career in the Association Management or non-profit sectors .
- Must be able to communicate effectively and clearly with individuals at high levels, both internally and externally, with tact and professionalism in a timely manner.
- Proven ability to plan and manage operational processes for maximum efficiency and productivity.
- Ability to streamline and implement new initiatives and roles that support rapidly shifting business demands.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to analyze problems, develop a path toward problem solving, and manage projects to completion.
- Strong multi-tasking skills with a comfort in maintaining multiple, often conflicting, priorities.
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision and follow through on all requests in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Must have extensive experience with a variety of technology platforms and tools, including, but not limited to, Microsoft Office, Membership/AMS databases, Adobe Acrobat, registration, survey and event software.
- Must have strong proactive and volunteer/member relations skills.
- Must have knowledge of financial reporting.
- Commitment our mission and belief in the value of non-profits as drivers of social justice, benefit, and change.
The Association of Fundraising Professionals – Greater Toronto Chapter is committed to fairness and equity in employment and our recruitment and selection practices. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, people with disabilities, differing gender expressions, members of racialized groups, women and any others who may contribute to the further diversification of our Chapter staff team. Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants are asked to make their requirements known in advance.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible – all applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Interested candidates should e-mail a copy of their cover letter and resume outlining their relevant experience to email@example.com in order to apply. The salary range for this role is $50,000 to $60,000 per annum.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Interviews will be held via Zoom starting the week of April 3rd.
For more details or questions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.