Sunnybrook Foundation inspires lasting support for Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, one of Canada’s largest and most dynamic health science centres impacting the lives of the more than 1.3 million patients it sees each year.
Together with our donor community, Sunnybrook Foundation raises critical funds for Sunnybrook’s world class academic health sciences centre to achieve our shared vision to invent the future of health care. With ambitious goals ahead, the Foundation is committed to continuing to grow our results and impact as we help Sunnybrook to raise sights, uncover new possibilities, develop talent, and deliver exceptional care.
We are one team in pursuit of a common purpose – to inspire lasting support for Sunnybrook – and we are guided by our values: Build Connectedness, Act with Integrity, Meaningful Collaboration and Strive for Excellence.
The Philanthropy Director is the key Foundation lead for a specific health care program area(s). With experience building trusting relationships and credibility, and with a deep appreciation of the complexity of the hospital environment, the ideal candidate will create mutually beneficial partnerships and be skilled at coaching and engaging physicians, nurses, allied health professionals, and other subject matter experts in all aspects of philanthropy.
Leveraging years of experience working with individuals and families through meaningful philanthropic experiences, the Philanthropy Director leads gift solicitations for a robust pipeline of donors to maximize their giving to Sunnybrook.
Accountabilities and Responsibilities
The Philanthropy Director will formulate and lead the execution of the long-term fundraising strategy for one or more Hospital Care Programs with an overall annual fundraising target of $2 to $10 million.
Strategy and Planning
- Develop and operationalize fundraising strategies for a Hospital Program to achieve the Program and Hospital approved priorities
- Ensure strategies are concretely aligned to Sunnybrook Foundation’s vision, values and strategic plan
- Serve as the critical point of contact for donors, volunteers and stakeholders associated with the Hospital Program
- Develop project overviews and proposals for key fundraising initiatives within the Program
- Coordinate multiple Foundation stakeholders to develop program-specific engagement and solicitation strategies that lead to gift conversion at the optimal level
- Act as key advisor in ensuring proper interpretation and implementation of Foundation and Hospital processes, policies, systems and practices
- Develop and implement a comprehensive plan for identifying, cultivating and stewarding major and planned gift prospects and donors in support of the Program priorities
Major and Planned Gift Program Management
- Develop and manage a portfolio of major and planned giving donors and prospects and implement major gift strategies ranging from $100K up to multi-million dollar gifts
- Provide strategic direction to team and interdepartmental colleagues on targeted major gift donor communications, recognition, and stewardship activities
- Engage and support senior volunteers, leveraging relationships for the Foundation
- Measure, monitor, and manage overall performance of the Program against set performance targets
- Responsible for supporting the Hospital and Foundation leadership on a limited portfolio of prospects and donors at the Transformational Giving level ($5M+)
- Understand and successfully navigate the philanthropic industry keeping abreast of best practices locally, regionally and globally
Qualifications and Competencies
- Progressive experience in roles leading major and planned giving programs in a large, complex organization
- Proven track record of personal success in securing major philanthropic contributions, at the 6-figure level and above, from individual donors
- Proven ability to build and maintain successful relationships with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Experience guiding and motivating cross-functional teams in a shared objective towards fundraising success
- Previous experience with physician engagement and grateful patient programs (or equivalent)
- Demonstrated success in engaging and working with senior volunteers and community leaders
- Experience with prospect management best practices, data, and reporting, and a keen understanding of metrics and key performance indicators
- A strong understanding of donor stewardship and its importance in strengthening and deepening donor relationships
- Ability to work independently with discretion relating to donor negotiations, policy administration and interpretation, and administrative responsibilities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to influence, inspire and engage key stakeholders internally and externally
- Demonstrated knowledge of and interest in promoting a culture of diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility; previous experience and understanding of working with staff, volunteers, and donors from diverse cultural, socio-economic and ethnic backgrounds
- Although this role does not presently have direct reports, it could evolve to a people management role in the future, therefore people management experience is considered an asset
To submit your application for this exciting role, please submit your resume by February 23, 2024.
We know that everyone’s career journey looks a bit different and experience comes in many forms. If you’re unsure whether your experience matches all of the requirements but still think this would be a great fit, we encourage you to apply.
Sunnybrook Foundation values equity, diversity and inclusion within the workplace and is committed to fostering a work environment where employees can bring their whole selves to work, are valued for their diversity, and feel a sense of belonging.
Sunnybrook Foundation is committed to providing accessible employment practices. If you require accommodations during any stage of the recruitment process, please advise us when submitting your application.
Please be advised that proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required for employment at Sunnybrook. The successful candidate will be asked to provide proof of vaccination prior to their first day of work.