Philanthropy Writer – Mackenzie Health Foundation
Mackenzie Health Foundation supports Mackenzie Health’s mission to relentlessly improve care to create healthier communities through the funding of capital projects, medical equipment, technology and educational opportunities for Mackenzie Health. The Foundation just achieved an incredible $250 Million campaign milestone – the largest ever for a community hospital in Canada – but our work is not done. The Ultimate Campaign built and equipped Cortelluci Vaughan Hospital and helped enhance care at Mackenzie Richmond Hill Hospital; going forward, our fundraising efforts will ensure a steady flow of resources to attract the very best talent, advance excellence in our programs and services and secure the latest equipment and technology as we focus on providing the best possible outcomes for every patient who comes through our doors.
The Foundation’s marketing communications team is looking for a writer with a passion for delivering high-quality communications that engage and inspire. Reporting to the Director, Marketing and Communications, and as a member of an integrated communications team, the Philanthropy Writer will work in partnership with the fundraising teams, and liaise with key hospital experts, to deliver engaging, donor-centric content to create a compelling narrative to encourage support of the incredible work done at Mackenzie Health.
Contribute to safe, quality care by:
- Managing a workload effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Addressing and resolving issues in a productive, respectful manner
- Exercising sound professional judgment and using best practice guidelines
- Contributing to a safe, inclusive environment for all through compliance with patient and staff safety policies and procedures.
Contribute to the Foundation by:
- Work with a variety of partners, both internal and external to identify and develop compelling, engaging content that encourages engagement with Mackenzie Health Foundation’s key audiences.
- Researching, interviewing, writing and editing to produce a wide range of internal and external communications products including donor proposals, stewardship reports, Foundation newsletters, letters and memos, patient stories and more.
- Adapt, modify, proofread and revise content for appropriate channels and audiences, ensuring consistency and alignment with the Mackenzie Health Foundation brand and messaging.
- Development content for marketing and branding initiatives including digital channels, events, and community engagement.
- Preparing briefing notes, key messages and speaking remarks for donor events as well as providing communications support for the Office of the CEO and Board of Directors.
- Working with the fundraising teams to ensure marketing communications deliverables and requirements are clearly defined and delivered on time, on budget and on brand.
- Working collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders at the Foundation and Hospital in addition to your peers on the integrated communications team.
What you must have:
- College or university diploma or degree related to communications, journalism or a related field.
- Exemplary written and verbal communication skills, with knowledge of CP Style and demonstrated ability to write compelling and emotive stories that demonstrate the impact of giving.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience as a communications professional, preferably fundraising communications.
- Experience with a hospital foundation considered an asset.
What else do you bring:
- The ability to take complex medical/health care concepts and communicate them in a compelling, approachable and persuasive way.
- A passion for storytelling and attention to detail.
- Experience writing successful donor proposals, ideally at the major gift and transformational donor level.
- Critical thinking with strong research, interviewing and information-gathering skills and the ability to ask important and strategic questions to get the most out of your interview subjects.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt writing styles for various audiences and communications channels.
- The ability to work both independently and collaboratively to prioritize competing demands and deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite software applications, including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- The ability to work in a fast-paced, changing environment.*
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to establish effective working relationships with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders/partners.
- Proven attendance record.
- The ability to perform the essential duties of the job.
- Behaviours consistent with the Foundation’s Commitment to Caring.
- Behaviours aligned with the values of Mackenzie Health Foundation– Excellence, Leadership and Integrity.
- A commitment to providing an exceptional experience for staff and clients within a challenging and exciting health care environment.
* Foundation staff are required to work flexible hours, including the occasional evening or weekend to support fundraising or board events. You also may be required to work at any site of Mackenzie Health including Cortellucci Vaughan Hospital, Mackenzie Richmond Hill Hospital or the Foundation office at 955 Major Mackenzie Drive to accommodate various in person meetings.