Mackenzie Health Foundation
Philanthropy Writer – Mackenzie Health
Posted On: November 15, 2021
Closing On: December 15, 2021
Location: Richmond Hill, ON
Employment Type: fulltime
Philanthropy Writer – Mackenzie Health Foundation
Permanent Full Time position
Mackenzie Health Foundation supports Mackenzie Health’s mission to relentlessly improve care to create healthier communities through the funding of capital projects, medical equipment, technology and educational opportunities for Mackenzie Health. The Foundation is currently spearheading a $250-million fundraising campaign – the largest ever for a community hospital in Canada – to help build and equip Cortellucci Vaughan Hospital, Canada’s first smart hospital, and enhance care at Mackenzie Richmond Hill Hospital.
The Foundation’s marketing communications team is looking for a writer with a passion for delivering high-quality communications that engage and inspire. Reporting to the Director, Marketing and Communications, and as a member of an integrated communications team, the Philanthropy Writer will work in partnership with the fundraising teams, and liaise with key hospital experts, to deliver engaging, donor-centric content to create a compelling narrative to encourage support of the incredible work done at Mackenzie Health.
Contribute to safe, quality care by:
- Managing a workload effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Addressing and resolving issues in a productive, respectful manner
- Exercising sound professional judgment and using best practice guidelines
- Contributing to a safe, inclusive environment for all through compliance with patient and staff safety policies and procedures.
Contribute to the Foundation by:
- Researching, interviewing, writing and editing to produce a wide range of internal and external communications products including donor proposals, stewardship reports, Foundation newsletters, letters and memos, grateful patient stories and more.
- Preparing briefing notes, key messages and speaking remarks for donor events as well as providing communications support for the Office of the CEO and Board of Directors.
- Working with the fundraising teams to ensure marketing communications deliverables and requirements are clearly defined and delivered on time, on budget and on brand.
- Proofreading and fact checking communications and marketing materials to ensure accuracy.
- Working collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders at the Foundation and Hospital in addition to your peers on the integrated communications team.
What you must have:
- College or university diploma or degree related to communications, journalism or a related field.
- Exemplary written and verbal communication skills, with knowledge of CP Style and demonstrated ability to write compelling and emotive stories that demonstrate the impact of giving.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience as a communications professional, preferably fundraising communications.
- Experience with a hospital foundation considered an asset.
What else do you bring:
- The ability to take complex medical/health care concepts and communicate them in a compelling, approachable and persuasive way.
- A passion for storytelling and attention to detail.
- Experience writing successful donor proposals, ideally at the major gift and transformational donor level.
- Strong project management skills with the ability to develop critical paths and workback plans and work collaboratively with peers and colleagues to deliver on them.
- Critical thinking with strong research, interviewing and information-gathering skills and the ability to ask important and strategic questions to get the most out of your interview subjects.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt writing styles for various audiences and communications channels.
- The ability to work both independently and collaboratively to prioritize competing demands and deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite software applications, including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- The ability to work in a fast-paced, changing environment.*
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to establish effective working relationships with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders/partners.
- Proven attendance record.
- The ability to perform the essential duties of the job.
- Behaviours consistent with the Foundation’s Commitment to Caring.
- Behaviour aligned with the values of Mackenzie Health Foundation– Excellence, Leadership and Integrity.
- A commitment to providing an exceptional experience for staff and clients within a challenging and exciting health care environment.
* Foundation staff are required to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends on occasion. You may be required to work at any site of Mackenzie Health.
Interested candidates please apply online.
Salary Range: $62,600 – $79,895