Scarborough Health Network Foundation:
Situated in one of the most diverse communities in Canada, Scarborough Health Network Foundation (SHN Foundation) inspires the support necessary to improve patients’ lives through exceptional care at Scarborough Health Network across three hospitals and eight satellite sites. Since its inception, the Foundation has worked with generous donors, volunteers, and community members to raise funds needed to build state-of-the-art infrastructure and purchase the latest medical technology, supporting SHN’s vision to be Canada’s leading community teaching health network.
SHN Foundation has launched its $100 million fundraising campaign to support expanded emergency departments, integrated communities of care, accessible medical imaging and barrier-free mental health care.
Our first ever mass marketing campaign, titled Love, Scarborough, aims to close Toronto’s health care gap by driving donations not just from Scarborough, but across the GTA. The integrated campaign can be found on TV, radio, cinema, print, and online. Find out more about this compelling campaign by visiting www.lovescarborough.
Scarborough Health Network Foundation is seeking a Philanthropy Writer to join the Foundation’s Marketing & Communications team. The Philanthropy Writer is a key member of the fundraising and communications team and contributes to the overall revenue goals through effective proposal writing and donor stewardship reports. The Philanthropy Writer is an exceptional storyteller and writer with the ability to translate complex medical language into donor-friendly communications. This role will collaborate across all teams, in particular with the Philanthropy and Stewardship teams, to produce effective and inspiring communications.
Reporting to the Manager, Marketing & Communications, this role will be an integral part of the Marketing & Communications team as a direct support for the Philanthropy team. The successful candidate will contribute to the continued momentum of the Love, Scarborough campaign by effectively communicating with prospective donors and recognizing our current supporters.
- Writing, information-gathering and development of compelling and emotive fundraising proposals for individual donors, corporations, and foundations, and other writing needs for the philanthropy team
- Writing, information-gathering and development of high impact and customized stewardship reports for major donors to promote continued donor stewardship, engagement and philanthropic support
- Preparing key messages and speaking remarks for donor events as well as providing communications support for Senior Leadership Team and Board of Directors
- Supports Marketing & Communications team with creative writing projects (donor ads, gift announcements, etc.) when needed
- Works collaboratively with Philanthropy and Marketing & Communications teams to ensure library of priority projects, source documents, cases for support, and templates remains current and is shared in a timely manner
- Expertly interviews appropriate hospital stakeholders for a broad range of needs and programs
- Translates complex information into clear, simple, and persuasive language that inspires and connects with donors
- Ensures Scarborough Health Network Foundation’s brand and style guidelines are followed and all donor communications appropriately reflect SHN Foundation’s values
- Working collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders at the Foundation and the corporate communications team within the Hospital
- Post-secondary education in writing, communications, journalism or related field, and/or comparable work experience
- Minimum of 5 years experience in a non-profit writing role, preferably in healthcare
- Experience writing successful donor proposals, ideally at the major gift and transformational donor level
- Demonstrated ability to adapt writing styles for various audiences and communications channels
- The ability to work both independently and collaboratively to prioritize competing demands and deadlines
- Passion for storytelling
- Superior communication and interviewing skills
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with staff, volunteers and external stakeholders
- Ability to organize and manage a diverse range of assignments and adjust to changing priorities while maintaining high efficiency and thorough attention to detail
- Resourceful and independent while comfortable working within the framework of an integrated development program and team-oriented environment
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite software applications, including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Experience with Adobe InDesign would be an asset
- Demonstrates a commitment to a healthy and safe workplace for self and others (staff, patients, families, etc.) by taking all reasonable precautions and working in compliance with hospital related policies, health and safety legislation and best practices and completing relevant mandatory education as required
Salary range: $60,000-$80,000 annually (based on experience), annual performance bonus (based on organization/personal performance), as well as a comprehensive benefits package.
Scarborough Health Network Foundation (SHN) embraces and celebrates our community’s unique multicultural heritage and diversity. SHN is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a culture of inclusiveness and diversity reflecting our diverse patients, staff and community alike. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Job description last updated July 26, 2022
Job Number: J0722-1355
Job Title: Philanthropy Writer
Job Category: Foundation
Location: General site; travel is required to other sites, events, and meetings as necessary
Job Type: Full-time, permanent
Number of Positions: 1
Direct Reports: 0
Hours: Monday to Friday, with flexibility for some evenings and weekends (lieu time provided)
Application Deadline: August 19, 2022