Prospect Research and Proposal Writer
Prospect Researcher & Proposal Writer
Reports to: Senior Manager of Development
Work environment: Hybrid, as per FBC’s policies- 2 days in office, 3 days remote (subject to change based on public health guidance). Office is currently closed.
Role type: Full time, permanent
Salary range: $46,575-$62,100 full time annual salary plus extended health benefits and RRSP
Deadline to apply: February 6th, 2022
About Fighting Blindness Canada (FBC)
Fighting Blindness Canada (FBC) is the largest charitable funder of vision research in Canada.
Over our 48-year history, FBC has contribute over $40 million for the development of sight-saving treatments and cures for blinding eye diseases. By raising and stewarding funds, FBC is helping drive forward research that supports our goal of understanding why vision loss occurs, how it can be slowed or stopped, and to develop treatments to restore sight.
We are an invaluable resource for individuals and families impacted by blindness, providing accurate eye health information through www.FightingBlindness.ca and educational events, as well as engaging with government and other stakeholders to advance better vision health policies.
Fighting Blindness Canada is located at 890 Yonge St, 12th Floor, Toronto ON M4W 3P4.
FBC is seeking a Prospect Researcher & Proposal Writer who will be responsible for prospect research and prospect management, taking ownership for how data is collected, tracked, and utilized to inform major gift fundraising strategy and drive results. In addition, FBC is combining this critical role with a Proposal Writer, that will work with Philanthropy team to gather information to prepare proposals and grant submissions with compelling narratives that effectively link to the needs to funder priorities and create impact reports to steward our funders.
The Prospect Researcher & Proposal Writer will be an Officer position and a valued member of the Philanthropy team at Fighting Blindness Canada by providing support to the Major Gifts, Planned Giving and Corporate Development teams.
Your supervisor will be the Sr. Manager of Development. Weekly work priorities will be split between Prospect Research and Proposal Writing, and the unique duties required within this role, including an exciting new Capital Campaign, set to launch in 2022.
Prospect Researcher 50%
- Proactively identify individual, corporate and foundation prospects using publicly available information.
- Conduct research utilizing internal and external resources to evaluate financial capacity, willingness to give and charitable interests to prepare for effective fundraising by our team of professionals.
- Monitor media for news relating to donors and prospects.
- Produce in-depth, timely, well-written, confidential snapshots and profiles to inform strategy development prepare briefing documents for Development staff and volunteers.
- Track all constituent relationship activity, profiles, research information and major gift account management in database.
- Build and maintain monthly reports on pipeline status for fundraising team and management.
- Participate in prospect strategy meetings and provide data and strategic direction to inform decisions.
Proposal Writer 50%
- Prepare funding requests that align with Fighting Blindness Canada mandate.
- Craft proposals with compelling narratives that effectively link to the funder’s philanthropic priorities.
- Work with fundraising teams to develop deliverables and manage to grant timelines.
- Prepare a menu of philanthropic opportunities on an annual basis (i.e. one page solicitation profiles of our 2021 grant competition awards).
- Prepare impact reports for our funder with guidance from mission and fundraising team.
- Maintain accurate record of past and present proposals and grant opportunities.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Evidence of up to date COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement of the position.
- Strong communications, and effective and emotive delivery of the case for support.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Solid computer skills (proficiency in MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) is required).
- Comfortable to learn and use database/software (Raiser’s Edge, in house database).
- Able to work as a member of a team in a fast-paced, high-volume environment.
- Exceptional writing skills in English. French would be an asset.
- Understanding of both qualitative and quantitative methods.
- Organized, self-directed, and able to work independently.
- Highly attentive to detail.
- Adhere to the AFP Fundraising Code of Ethics and the Donor Bill of Rights.
- Minimum of 2-year experience in grant writing, prospect research, general fundraising.
Please submit your cover letter and resume by 11:59pm February 24th, 2022 to email@example.com
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be