Prospect Research, Major Gifts
Job Title: Prospect Research, Major Gifts
Reports To: Senior Development Officer
Division: Fund Development
Terms of Employment: Full-time, Monday – Friday (9 am –5 pm)
Location: Toronto, ON
Who We Are
Habitat for Humanity Greater Toronto Area (Habitat GTA) is leading the way in addressing one of the most pressing issues of our time: the need for affordable housing. Our work focuses on helping working families become homeowners – thus realizing both a safe and secure place to live and the opportunity to build equity and financial independence for themselves and their children. We are a land developer, a home builder, a fundraiser, and a mortgage holder. In support of our homebuilding operations, Habitat GTA operates retail home improvement stores called ReStores, which collect donations of home furnishings, appliances, and renovation materials and sells them to the public, with all proceeds helping us build more homes.
Habitat GTA is growing. We are an innovative, entrepreneurial social enterprise that has been increasing our capacity for impact each and every year. Together, we are building a better, more inclusive GTA for everyone.
The Prospect Research, Major Gifts position will provide excellent high value fundraising research to identify and provide insight on high-net-worth individuals, family and private foundations and enabling the Major Gifts team to be more effective and efficient in their work. In addition, they will identify grant opportunities and assist in securing support from foundation, corporations, and government funding sources to aid the work of various departments across the organization.
- Ensure Major Gifts and the wider organization are provided with effective and efficient research information to enable success
- Identify and research high net worth individuals, foundations, trusts, and corporations
- Develop and manage processes to ensure a steady flow of major gift prospects and advise on pipelines
- Provide network mapping to ensure relationships are being maximized during the solicitation process
- Produce insightful, high-quality research profiles on current and prospective donors including financial, biographical, corporate, and philanthropic information
- Manage proactive and reactive research systems to ensure opportunities are being maximized in support of Major Giving, the CEO, and the Major Gifts Cabinet.
- Undertake regular pipeline review with fundraisers to track prospect solicitation stages, size and value of portfolio
- Ensure database is kept up to date with accurate and current information on prospects and donors
- Write letters of inquiry and solicitations
- Match prospective funding sources with organizational priorities
- Prepare and submit applications for family and corporate foundation as well as government funders
- Draft compelling grant proposal narratives for general operating and restricted projects
- Work cross-departmentally to collect project information, images, budget/financial details in accordance with funder guidelines
What You Bring
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in prospect research; experience supporting major gifts fundraising and grant writing is an asset
- Experience using research best practices/tools/search engines for prospect identification
- Experience in researching high net worth individuals, c-suite executives and foundations to identify capacity, propensity and affinity
- Experience in producing accurate, concise research snapshot, in-depth profile reports as well as network mapping
- Experience in creating and/or managing systems to support fundraisers with prospect pipeline management
- Ability to self-manage, work independently, and take initiative
- Ability to effectively coordinate multiple projects, deadlines, and priorities
- Detail-oriented with accuracy in written correspondence and record keeping
- Experience working in collaboration with colleagues across different teams and stakeholders to identify opportunities for prospecting
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working with high level/senior volunteers is an asset
- High computer literacy able to navigate Microsoft Office applications with ease; CRM software experience preferred
- Flexibility to work occasional evenings and weekends in support of Major Gift initiatives
Why Join Us?
- A meaningful opportunity to make a difference in your local community and to have first-hand contact with the families whose lives are transformed by our work
- The pride of being part of a highly respected, high profile global charity
- A stimulating, fast paced professional opportunity in a team of like-minded ‘world-changers’
- Comprehensive health and dental benefits
- RRSP eligibility
- Flexible work arrangements, including hybrid and remote work
- Internal job mobility and developmental opportunities
- Wellness initiatives including EAP and corporate gym membership rate with Goodlife Fitness
If you are ready to make a change in your local community and become a part of our team at Habitat for Humanity GTA, click here to Apply on our portal within this posting or click on our Careers Page to find more: https://habitatgta.ca/careers/
Your Future at Habitat for Humanity GTA Awaits.
Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada throughout the duration of their employment with Habitat for Humanity GTA. Proof of eligibility will be required.
Habitat for Humanity GTA is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Habitat for Humanity GTA is committed to ensuring a barrier-free, accessible and inclusive work environment. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Upon individual request, we will endeavor to remove barriers to the hiring process to accommodate candidates with disabilities, providing the applicant has met the bona-fide requirements of the employment position. Please inform us should accommodation be required at any point during the recruitment and selection process.
As part of our selection process, the successful candidate must receive clearance by a police background check. It is a mandatory term of employment for this position that you are fully vaccinated for COVID-19 at least 14 days prior to your start date. Employment will be contingent on proof of vaccination.
We thank all applicants for their interest in Habitat for Humanity GTA, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.