PSP IG Associate (Donor Relations)
Internal / External Vacancy Notice
PSP IG Associate – CANTO/PSP/VN/005
Location: PSP Toronto
UNHCR Title: PSP IG Associate (Donor Relations)
Type of contract: Fixed-Term Appointment Category/Grade: General Service, G6
Duration: 01 October 2023 – 01 October 2024 (with possibility of extension)
Expected start date: October 2023
Workday Reference: JR2324940
Application deadline: 25 August 2023
1. General Background
The United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR) is the world’s leading not-for-profit organization in helping and protecting the millions of people forced to flee their homes because of violence, conflict and persecution. We deliver life-saving assistance, including shelter, food and water while also safeguarding fundamental human rights, safety and dignity.
Our Canadian office is part of a global network that works in 137 countries, protecting over 80 million people. We were founded in 1950 as part of the United Nations effort to help people displaced by World War II. Since then we have been on the ground helping over 89.3 million people forced to leave their homes and have even received two Nobel Prizes for our work.
We are passionate about the people we help—and the amazing team of people who work for us. We thrive on excellence, integrity and respect for diversity. Our culture is dynamic, results-oriented and focused on change, ready to tackle the latest global humanitarian crisis. You will be part of a newly growing team that—due to a significant revitalization process—is set for transformational growth. We need someone who is not only ready to jump in at the start of this journey, but has the skills, energy and creativity to help shape what comes next.
2. Purpose and Scope of Assignment
Private Sector Partnerships Service (PSP) sits within UNHCR’s Division of External Relations (DER) and is responsible for mobilizing resources from the private sector for refugees. UNHCR has developed a Private Sector Fundraising Strategy focusing on both Individual Giving and Private Sector Partnerships, identifying priority fundraising markets and regions.
Individual Giving (IG) is targeted at the general public to secure the support of individuals through regular, unrestricted donations, cash appeals and legacies. The aim is to generate both monthly and one-time donations from individuals using various channels and methods including direct mail, face-to-face fundraising, telemarketing, digital fundraising, DRTV and emergency fundraising, with focus on strong donor loyalty and lifetime value.
The purpose is to maximize the donor base from the individual giving (IG) for UNHCR, those with the ability to provide donations of between $1 to $10.000 (depending on local market conditions, as well as scope of responsibility) per year to UNHCR.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant
accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
PSP Individual Giving Associate will report to the Senior Manager Donor Retention within the Individual Giving team. This position is vital in the management of our growing donor file, ensuring they are communicated with in a timely manner and maintaining an excellence in donor care that they have come to expect. This role will also look to build upon the donor care practices currently in place to ensure we are communicating effectively with all our donors across a variety of channels and identifying areas of improvement, such as additional retention strategies for monthly donors and streamlining processes and current systems in place. Alongside the management of our donor care systems, including currently working in Raiser’s Edge and assisting our Data Team with a CRM transition to Salesforce, this role also manages two Bilingual Donor Care Assistants. This role will also work closely with a variety of internal and external stakeholders, including our bureau office in Ottawa, our Communications team, our Major Gifts team and our Data team as well as various vendors to troubleshoot donor specific inquiries and needs.
- Contribute to the creation of annual plans for acquisition and donor development programs (i.e. forecasts of costs and expenses, income projections, donor figures, etc.).
- With close collaboration with supervisor contribute to the development of detailed annual plan for the IG programs.
- Implement the donor development communications plan and fundraising activities for one-time donors to convert to monthly or secure a second one-time gift.
- Develop, manage and improve donor servicing and communications to provide a best in class donor care with best practice standards (welcome, information, thank you letters, donor monthly newsletter, in-bound and out-bound donor emails and calls, complaints, etc.).
- Work with marketing agencies to develop contact strategies and donor journeys for different segments of the database using a variety of channels including telemarketing, digital and mail.
- Contribute in the implementation of the operations of the following campaigns, upgrade, conversion, acquisition, welcome, recapturing, loyalty, Thank you, One-off calls, Marketing Research, Upgrade middle donors, middle donors one-off and others.
- Support in preparation of submissions to the National Growth Fund related to IG programs to secure funding to increase the and diversify donor base.
- Develop skills in the IG team to enable and motivate team members to operate to their full potential.
- In consultation with CRM Manager, ensure that effective TN selection criteria are made, schedule for export and import of TM files, and prioritize and request data statistics needed for proper evaluation and optimization of TM programs.
- Manage the database within the Area of Responsibility (AoR), ensure accuracy of data entry, perform Lifetime Value analysis and identify, recommend and implement key actions to reduce attrition rates.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with existing donors, and prospective donors, ensuring regular communication and personalized engagement leading to enhanced donor satisfaction and loyalty.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for donor inquiries and concerns, promptly addressing any issues and providing excellent customer service.
- Manage donor database, ensuring accurate and up-to-date records of donor interactions, contributions and preferences.
- Manage a team of two donor care assistants to ensure all donor care responsibilities are handled in a timely manner.
- Ensure donor care team members are trained and supported in their roles including performance monitoring and pursuit of growth opportunities.
- Analyze donor data and fundraising performance metrics to access the effectiveness of donor relations efforts, identify areas for improvement and provide monthly report on donors’ feedback to the rest of the team.
- Manage tax receipting process on an annual and bespoke basis identifying areas of improvement and growth.
- Manage inhouse reactivations efforts for monthly donor file, including monthly expiration and decline emails and reactivation calling.
- Collaborate as integral part of the fundraising team to help create compelling fundraising campaigns.
- Collaborate with other departments and stakeholders to ensure alignment of donors relations efforts with overall organization priorities.
- Manage office inventory to ensure that all inventory needs are handled for the office and for our external vendors for tax receipting and donor service letters.
- To Maintain and create updated FAQs to external vendors and the UNHCR donor care team. To also ensure that the donor care page on the website is up to date and reflects donors’ preference.
- Assist data team and fundraising team in migration to new CRM (Salesforce), ensuring all donor requirements are met
- Adhere to ethical fundraising practices and maintain strict confidentiality of donor information and contributions
- Stay informed about current trends and best practices in donors relations to improve and grow the proficiency of the donor relations team and to develop strategic improvements for overall donor care interactions
- Work in close collaboration with PSP teams to develop cross channel fundraising campaigns including digital, F2F, Telemarketing, DRTV, direct mail etc.
- Support the coordination of Face-to-Face outsourced as well as in house activities.
- Contribute to the development of the fundraising strategies and products for diverse individual fundraising activities that serve to recruit and retain loyal individual donors.
- Support in the development and implementation of emergency plans for telemarketing and Face-to-Face.
- Cooperate closely with digital team to secure optimal timing and approach for conversion of supporters’ lists into donors.
- Oversee the handling of donor’s requests and managing complains in a professional manner.
- Investigate opportunities for lead generation and acquisition.
- Support adaptation of contents as well as implementation of tests aimed to improve response.
- Manage relations with partners, contractors, and suppliers to implement FR programs.
- Contribute to develop and enhance market knowledge and analyze the competitive environment to monitor PSP performance and make recommendation to management.
- Develop and implement a welcome program for newly recruited monthly donors and one-time donors.
- Contribute to quality control and training systems for F2F Agencies.
- Assist in ensuring that donor acquisition income targets are achieved in a cost-effective manner.
- Draft scripts for different telemarketing campaigns.
- Contribute to the development of emergency plans for different fundraising activities.
Donor Retention and Development:
- Execute donor journeys according to planned schedule, conducting testing among journeys, implement donor engagement activities.
- Support in the implementation of programme improvement as defined in the UNHCR Donor Development Strategy to strengthen individual giving fundraising programs.
- Assist in the implementation of donor development communications plans and fundraising activities, such as newsletter and special appeals, through a variety of media including direct mail, telemarketing, email and mobile.
- Target/segment based on donor insights, behavior, interactions, and gifts history.
- Oversee the handling of donor’s requests and manage complains in a professional manner.
- Keep up-to-date with giving techniques and strategies to increase or maintain donations from multiple donors.
- Support the development and implementation of donor retention communication materials and activities for existing donors and for emergency appeals.
- Execute monthly operations of recapturing by emails/mails, thank-you to donors.
- Improve income of regular committed individual donors, optimising opportunities through data segmentation, supporter journey enhancement, new fundraising products, and optimization of current programmes.
- Advise on donor care actions and improvement to be implemented.
- Develop, monitor and review retention program performance. Draw conclusions and make recommendations to improve future activity and feed into longer term strategic plans.
- Support all in-house and outsourced donor care representatives are provided with all information, including Q&A documents, necessary to handle any in-bound donor communications resulting from the donor development activities
- Foster a donor centric culture and communication.
- Perform other duties, as required.
3. Qualifications and Experience
- For G6 – 3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
b. Work Experience
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in private sector fundraising, sales, client/donor communication, marketing or journalism. Proven experience working in donor retention/ development programmes. Experience in coordination and supervision of fundraising campaigns in profit or non-profit industry. Experience in fundraising related databases and software. Experience in data analysis and segmentation.
- Experience with the non-profit sector. Experience in supervising database migration and setting up a Contact Relationship Management (CRM) system. Experience in project management. Experience in managing agencies/vendors/clients.
- Functional Skills
- FR-PSFR Direct Marketing and Direct Response Fundraising
- FR-Experience in Private Sector Fundraising
- FR-Fundraising-face to face, digital, emergency, DRTV, etc.
- FR-Online communications, web-based marketing and fundraising contents
- FR-Fundraising approach skills (Face2Face/Sales Prog Outsourced-Sales workforce/Door2Door)
- CO-Cross-cultural communication
- SO-Negotiation skills
- MS-Drafting, Documentation, Data Presentation
Must be eligible to work in Canada
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English. For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language. For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All jobs at UNHCR require six core competencies and may also require managerial competencies and/or cross-functional competencies. The six core competencies are listed below.
Core Competencies Accountability Communication Organizational Awareness Teamwork & Collaboration
Commitment to Continuous Learning Client & Result Orientation
Planning and Organizing
A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, please visit the portal of the International Civil Service Commission at: http://icsc.un.org
To apply for this position, please visit UNHCR career webpage:
For any HR related inquiries, please send an email to email@example.com indicating the vacancy notice number and related title in the subject line.
Application should be received through Workday to be reviewed.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview.
WE REGRET WE DO NOT ACCEPT ANY PHONE CALLS
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce.
Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity. UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, or training.
We welcome applications from candidates with a refugee or stateless background.