Regional Director, Ontario
Regional Director, Ontario
JDRF is the largest non-profit organization in the world that is exclusively focused on type 1 diabetes (T1D). At JDRF, we realize that a cure is not just a destination but a journey. Our goal is to progressively remove the impact of type 1 diabetes (T1D) from people’s lives and funding research into cures is our #1 priority. While we wait for cures, we also fund ground-breaking research that seeks to improve the lives of people with T1D.
It’s an exciting time to join JDRF as we grow our team to support our ambitious plans to raise more funds than ever to accelerate research towards cures and innovative and life-changing therapies for people living with T1D.
Are you a dynamic, innovative and strategic leader? We’re searching for an experienced fundraising leader for the role of Regional Director, Ontario. You would be responsible for driving fundraising (major gifts, annual/mid-level giving, event fundraising) results in the region by deepening and growing donor and volunteer relationships across the market. Helping you achieve this is a talented team of staff and volunteers.
Does the above resonate with you? As the Regional Director, Ontario, you would have the opportunity to:
- Provide inspired and motivating leadership to the staff and volunteers while planning for and delivering JDRF’s fundraising programs (i.e. major gifts, annual giving, event fundraising) by serving as a visionary for the region
- Develop a Market fundraising plan, identifying strategies and plans to grow engagement and fundraising in different markets across the region, in line with JDRF’s overall fundraising strategy
- Lead a regional strategy to engage individuals (<$5k) through annual giving and monthly giving at JDRF, which includes developing the donor journey for these audiences, developing benchmarks for acquisition, retention, and annual plans for delivery and monitoring
- Partner with regional Leadership Giving and volunteer leadership to solicit funding and other support from individuals, corporations, foundations and other sources of funding and/or influence. Develop prospect solicitation strategies and proposals.
- Directly oversee a portfolio of prospects and actively participate in the cultivation and acquisition of major donors, foundations and corporate contributions
- Marshall the varied talents and resources available in order to meet and exceed fundraising goals
- Maintain a comprehensive understanding of JDRF’s mission and research strategy
- Lead, coach, and inspire a team of committed staff and volunteers through one-on-one supervision and overall team management; Cultivate and sustain a strong team-oriented culture, with an emphasis on collaboration, results and accountability
- Assess current priorities, workload, and resources on a going basis and establish an action plan ensuring that immediate needs are met while longer-term strategies, plans and actions are developed
- Develop overall goals, timelines and budgets in partnership with the National Support Office and ensure goals are achieved and performance meets or exceeds expectations
- Understand JDRF’s core program KPIs and effectively use JDRF systems to aggressively monitor year over year trends and impact on performance
- Develop and implement regional business plans, monitoring ongoing performance and coordinate with colleagues to adjust the delivery of plans as necessary to achieve targets
- Accountable for the development, management, and attainment of annual budgets, the maintenance of its fiscal records, and the timely and accurate submission of JDRF financial and forecast reports. Ensure efficient and appropriate utilization of JDRF equipment and facilities
- Implement and reinforce JDRF policies, procedures and programs within the region, in collaboration with National Directors/Managers
- Communicate regularly with national teams and participate or lead internal committees/teams as required by the Foundation
- Serve as an ambassador and spokesperson for the Ontario region as required
- Operates within the philosophy, culture, and values of the Foundation
Does this sound like the opportunity you’ve been waiting for? If you bring the following qualifications, we’d love to hear from you!
- University or College degree in Business Management, Fundraising or related discipline
- Minimum of 8-10 years of professional nonprofit fundraising experience, with a clear record of achievement in a complex, mission-driven organization or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum of 6 years of demonstrated experience managing, leading, coaching and mentoring staff to achieve results. Experience managing staff remotely is preferred
- Experience and ability to partner with strong and active volunteer leaders is critical, as is the ability to work successfully with a large network of passionate volunteers.
- Strong skills in the identification, cultivation, solicitation and on-going stewardship of major individual donors and corporate partners. Strong sales aptitude- the ability to build rapport and trust, make the ask, and maintain long-term relationships.
- Exceptional people management skills and the ability to inspire, lead and motivate a talented staff team; develop and sustain an inclusive and respectful work environment through all interactions with staff. Commitment to staff development and ability to create career/development plans for staff, with a view toward retaining a talented team.
- Team player that has the experience and ability to interface with all levels of staff and volunteers. Must develop, grow, manage, and utilize relationships. Capability to leverage relationships and negotiate agreements.
- High level of comfort communicating complex information (e.g. JDRF research, goals, etc.) to a wide range of audiences, from high-net worth individuals to corporate and governmental leaders, the press and the public.
- Ability to be a passionate spokesperson/representative of JDRF’s mission
- Ability to translate strategies into achievable goals/deliverables
- Attention to detail while also having the ability to see the “big picture”
- Self-motivated, personable and service-oriented
- Ability to work within a tight timeline and prioritize in a fast-paced dynamic environment
- Strong written and oral communication skills in order to successfully interact with external customers and staff within the organization
- Strong interpersonal, customer service, problem solving and planning skills are required
- Some flexibility to travel throughout the region and to attend evening and weekend events
Location Preference: Flexible within Ontario but preference will be for those in the GTA and surrounding areas to facilitate ease of travel to donor meetings, fundraising events etc. We are a remote-first organization so the incumbent in this role will work remotely from home. Any employees located in the Greater Toronto Area may have access to an office space in Toronto for hybrid-work options if requested.
Why choose JDRF?
At JDRF, we foster innovation and strive to think differently while working towards our mission in a collaborative, dynamic and positive work environment. Each day, we live our core values of Respect, Understanding and Integrity; Perseverance; Collaboration; Risk Taking and Entrepreneurship; and Efficiency, Effectiveness and Accountability. We prioritize growing our talent from within and strive to provide development opportunities to our team. We also offer a competitive compensation package including (employer paid) group benefits, group RRSP matching program, paid annual vacation, professional development opportunities and flexible working arrangements.
Submit your resume and cover letter for consideration today!
Mandatory vaccination policy: We require all JDRF employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. The health, safety and well-being of our employees, volunteers, visitors, donors and event participants is our top priority. Throughout the pandemic, we have made adjustments to our health and safety guidelines, protocols and policies along the way based on the evolution of COVID-19 as well as public health guidelines, regional conditions and science-based evidence. Vaccinations, combined with other health measures remain the best way for everyone to help protect our staff, volunteers, donors and T1D community
JDRF strives to foster a workplace that reflects the diversity of the community it serves and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates. JDRF is also committed to developing an inclusive, barrier-free selection process and work environment. Please advise if you require any accommodation measures to ensure you will be interviewed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation requests will be treated with confidentiality.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.