Senior Advancement Officer, Events (23819)
Posting Date: October 24, 2022 Closing Date: November 7, 2022
How to apply: https://humber.taleo.net/careersection/hbr_ex/jobdetail.ftl?job=23819&lang=en
Find Your Spot at Humber
At Humber, our career paths open up a world of infinite possibilities for you to explore. People are at the heart of the Humber experience. Here, every day we work shoulder to shoulder to deliver excellence, and in doing so, we redefine what it means to be a leader in polytechnic education. Humber employees are a diverse group of committed, caring and fun-loving people.
We take finding and growing the right talent very seriously. We strive to find and nurture extraordinary employees who bring their best each day.
If you are interested in working in higher education and are looking to contribute to the largest polytechnic College in Ontario, as we shape the future of our students and communities, here is your opportunity to join our team.
Position Title: Senior Advancement Officer, Events
Status: Contract Position (2 years)
Hours: 37.5/ week
Faculty/Department: Advancement and Alumni
Campus/Location: North Campus
Salary: Admin 04 (Min $72,094 – Max $108,142)
What you will do:
The Senior Advancement Officer, Events, is responsible for delivering high quality, and institutionally important events that engage Humber’s donors, alumni, and friends. They will ensure events are successfully run by overseeing operational details, managing internal and external stakeholders and leading volunteers. The incumbent will plan and execute events that range from large-scale signature events, such as galas and golf tournaments, to small and medium-sized events that support fundraising through cultivating new supporters and stewarding existing donors, to alumni engagement activities. As a member of the Advancement and Alumni team and working closely with colleagues within the department and across the College, the candidate will effectively manage multiple relationships to ensure that events are delivered on time, on budget, meet objectives and goals, and offer an end-to-end experience that is excellent at every stage for attendees, supporters, and stakeholders. Specifically, the role will be responsible for event planning and logistics; sponsorships and revenue generation; event communication; budget development; stewardship, reporting and post-event analysis; and, production of events that are in-person, virtual or in hybrid formats. Reporting to the Associate Director, Campaigns, Events and Executive Operations, the incumbent works collaboratively with faculty and staff; event participants and donors/sponsors; volunteer committees; and vendors to organize and execute events that increases Humber College’s profile, supports its strategic priorities, expands its donor base, and generates revenue through broader engagement. The successful candidate must also possess solid oral and written communications, negotiation, and interpersonal skills and blend a combination of professionalism and passion.
What you bring to the role:
- Must have a 4-year degree and specialization in the area of Fundraising, Public Relations, Communications, Marketing, or Events considered an asset.
- Ability to identify unique sponsorship opportunities and prospects, develop strategies to attract new sponsors, and solicit event support when appropriate to maximize revenue and participation targets
- Ability to prepare event plans, critical paths, proposals, sponsorship packages, invitation lists, event briefing packages and other effective event related communications/materials and promotion materials.
- Ability to oversee the overall management, planning, organization, coordination/logistics and implementation of events including: event concept design and programming; securing sponsorship and in-kind contributions; managing registration/ticket and table sales; overseeing auctions and raffles; sourcing, negotiating, and managing relationships with external vendors and suppliers (i.e., venues, caterers, décor, equipment, performers, liquor and food permits); managing event volunteers and hosting/welcoming guests; and event set-ups/strike down and troubleshooting any arising issues at the event.
- Clear understanding of financial priorities and budgets associated with special events with proven experience tracking financials and maintaining reports as well as knowledge of tax laws, financial instruments and CRA rulings.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Self-motivated and reliable with a demonstrated ability to achieve event related goals and meet deadlines through strong organizational and planning skills and demonstrated project management and administrative skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure and demonstrate sound judgment in determining appropriate course of action with exceptional attention to detail, accuracy, and thoroughness.
- Displays an exceptional level of professionalism, knowledge, productivity, and high ethical standards including good judgement, demonstrated tact, diplomacy, and ability to maintain and work with confidential information.
- Strong interpersonal skills to liaise with management, staff, donors and volunteers and ability to work both independently and effectively in a team environment.
- Strong computer skills using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook), and design skills (InDesign, Publisher, Photoshop) as well as working knowledge and experience using Raiser’s Edge preferred and other platforms with the ability to leverage systems to accurately track, pull and analyze reports to help inform decision making.
- Prepared to respond to a fast-paced changing environment requiring flexibility and adaptability with respect to working hours such as evenings and weekends when required for peak event periods and event days.
- Ability to drive and in possession of a valid Ontario’s drivers’ licence.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in events and sponsorship, and knowledge of all aspects of the fundraising cycle including key focus areas such as annual giving, major giving, communications, finance and research.
- Experience ideally from the not-for-profit charitable/education sector.
- Experience managing and executing all types of events such as golf tournaments; signature fundraisers; scholarship events; dinners, tours, special donor meetings, naming events, announcements, ground breakings, grand openings, unveilings, cheque presentations, and alumni events.
- Knowledge and experience in building philanthropic relationships through events and working with individuals, foundations, and corporations and working with donors/sponsors, volunteers, and committees/boards.
- Experience working with stakeholders within Advancement and Alumni and with all levels of the organization including faculty/staff, and senior leadership.
- Experience with developing and managing budgets; meeting/setting fundraising goals and controlling expenses of events; implementing a long-term strategic approach to effective event planning and management that involves the implementation of project management tools, policies, and procedures to aid in the successful planning of events and third party events.
- Ability to provide detailed reporting of events and conducting competitive analyses including evaluations, key learning points, and recommendations for future enhancements.
- Experience executing events that are in-person, virtual and hybrid presentations.
What’s In it for you?
- An opportunity to have an impact with a post-secondary institution, poised to do great things.
- Diverse, hard-working, committed team of people who care about each other.
- Tools and technology that will allow you to succeed at your job.
- Amazing perks
- Highly supportive work culture
At Humber College we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it! Experience comes in many forms, skills are transferable, and a progressive mindset goes a long way at Humber. If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, consider applying and tell us why you are a great candidate for this job. Find your Spot at Humber!
We thank you for your interest in working with Humber College. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Consideration for Support Staff and Academic positions will be given to internal employees in accordance with the respective Collective Agreements.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
Humber College is committed to a workforce that reflects the diversity of our students and our city. We actively seek Indigenous Peoples and individuals from equity-deserving groups with demonstrated skills and knowledge to deal with all aspects of equity, diversity and inclusion in a post-secondary environment.
Humber College is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Our HR Generalists will work with applicants requesting accommodations at any stage of the hiring process. This document is available in alternate formats upon request.
At Humber College, all forms of discrimination and harassment are prohibited. Students and employees have the right to study, live and work in an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment. If you need assistance on concerns related to discrimination and harassment, please contact the Centre for Human Rights, Equity and Inclusion http://hrs.humber.ca/human-rights-equity-diversity.html or the Office of Student Conduct at firstname.lastname@example.org