Senior Communications Officer
The Senior Communications Officer, Advancement works closely with the Executive Director, Advancement and members of the Advancement team to plan, manage, develop and execute comprehensive communication materials that support and are in alignment with OCADU’s strategic goals with the intent to enhance brand awareness and support fundraising and alumni relations. The Senior Communications Officer, Advancement serves as the primary project manager for OCAD University’s fundraising and alumni relations messaging and acts as a subject matter expert providing advice and support to the Advancement department and in some cases, other university departments.
Summary of Responsibilities :
- Acts as the point of contact for the creation of written content for various Advancement and Alumni Relations communication materials, including proposals, direct mail, email campaigns and communications, case materials, social media posts, and donor/alumni newsletter
- As the departmental communications specialist, works collaboratively with the University and Advancement leadership team to develop and facilitate overarching communication strategies for the department, including messaging based on the university’s priorities and initiatives
- Creates and manages annual communication plans and calendar for Advancement and Alumni Relations
- In collaboration with Marketing & Communications, supports and leads the rebuild and redesign of Advancement webpages
- Manages Advancement website to ensure it remains compelling, visually engaging, and relevant
- Oversees the development, management, and regular maintenance of all aspects of the Advancement Newsletter including content creation, design, and delivery
- Serves as liaison to OCAD U Marketing & Communications team, ensuring Advancement materials support OCAD U’s overall branding and messaging strategy
- Meets regularly with faculty and staff to track and collect data, anecdotes, and other information to ensure communication materials are current and relevant
- Meets with donors and alumni to conduct interviews for stories and profiles
- Oversees vendor relationships for printed and electronic materials, including website, photography, video production, etc., as appropriate
- Supports presentations for internal and external audiences
- Reviews response data and analytics and provides detailed and quantified reports to assess the effectiveness of communication plans; uses information to provide recommendations on how to maximize resources.
- Assists the Executive Director and Director in related functions and initiatives contributing to the successful operation of Advancement
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, fundraising, English, journalism, marketing or related field; or equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- A minimum of five (5) years of related professional experience or equivalent
- Exceptional writing and editing abilities with a focus on fundraising writing
- Ability to understand the strategy, planning, and goals of the university and translate this understanding into compelling and convincing communications and effective communications strategies for external audiences
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy, with the ability to coordinate multiple deadlines
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to oversee and execute high level tasks
- Must be self-directed with strong creative problem-solving skills, including the ability to develop innovative approaches and ideas and meet challenges with resourcefulness
- Excellent interpersonal skills and judgement, with a demonstrated ability to deal with sensitive or confidential matters with high degree of diplomacy, discretion and tact
- Demonstrated commitment to the principles of equity and diversity and experience promoting a respectful learning and working environment
- Experience using electronic media such as websites, e-newsletters, social media, & other web platforms
- Proficiency in Blackbaud’s Luminate (or similar digital communications applications) an asset
- Design/layout experience with programs such as Canva and InDesign an asset
Compensation: Hiring Range – $ 73,404.82 to $84,152.46 per annum, commensurate with experience, plus benefits; Salary Range – $73,404.82 to $96,473.69 per annum.
Hours of Work : Total of 35 hours per week. The incumbent in this role will be expected to report to work on campus.
Please review the OCAD University’s Safety Measures for all up-to-date information regarding COVID-19 protocols.
OCAD University’s vaccine mandate will be in abeyance until further notice. However, to ensure continuity of teaching, learning and campus activities throughout the year, the University expects all students, staff and faculty to maintain up-to-date vaccination records.
Application Deadline: Interested applicants are invited to submit an updated resume, with a cover letter by selecting “Apply Now” in our current Employment Opportunities page. The review of applications begins on Friday, June 30, 2023, and will continue until the position is filled.
As an employer committed to employment equity, we encourage applications from members of equity-seeking communities including women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities/expressions.
We encourage members of designated equity-seeking groups to self-identify within the voluntary Applicant Questionnaire .
In order to alleviate the under-representation of racialized and Indigenous administrators, priority in hiring will be given to qualified racialized and Indigenous persons who self-identify as such in the application process. This initiative is a special program under the Ontario Human Rights Code.
OCAD University is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free experience to applicants with accessibility needs. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage during the recruitment process. Please contact People & Culture for more information or refer to OCAD U’s Policy of Accommodation in Employment for Persons with Disabilities
All qualified persons are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority. While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those short-listed will be contacted.