Senior Communications Officer
Senior Communications Officer
Toronto / Full-Time
Due to COVID-19 Guidelines, this role is 100% remote / work from home until further notice. We are about our team and community, and are closely monitoring the evolving situation. CAMH Foundation will continue to make the health and safety of our team a top priority.
ABOUT CAMH FOUNDATION
Hi there! I’m Lisa Plenderleith, Interim Director, Content & Creative at CAMH Foundation. I’ve spent most of my career telling stories of how generous donors can improve health care and outcomes for people and communities. I believe philanthropy—from one-time gifts to multi-million-dollar donations—is a way to create hope and drive meaningful change today and for future generations. Our team uses the power of storytelling to inspire people to support the life-saving work of CAMH and share the impact of our donor community on the lives of the people we serve.
I invite you to join me for a conversation about your interest in CAMH. You will have the chance to meet members of our incredible team and tell us more about how your career aspirations align with our bold mission to create a world where mental health is health.
The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) is Canada’s largest mental health teaching hospital and one of the world’s leading research centres in its field. With a dedicated staff of more than 3,000 physicians, clinicians, researchers, educators and support staff, CAMH offers outstanding clinical care to more than 34,000 patients each year. The organization conducts ground-breaking research, provides expert training to health care professionals and scientists, develops innovative health promotion and prevention strategies, and advocates on public policy issues at all levels of government.
CAMH Foundation is charged with raising and stewarding funds in support of CAMH. Its role is to help transform the way we understand and address mental illness by raising awareness and increasing engagement across the country. Generous and dedicated supporters help CAMH advance discovery and innovation, build spaces that promote recovery, and break down the stigma of mental illness.
The Content & Creative team enables fundraising success, brand awareness and donor satisfaction through inspiring and innovative storytelling about CAMH’s global leadership in mental health and our community’s role in driving change.
CAMH Foundation is seeking a Senior Communications Officer to create compelling fundraising materials that support all lines of philanthropy at CAMH Foundation. This professional is responsible for a full range of activities to prepare, submit and manage materials for foundations, corporations and individuals. The position serves as a principal writer and/or editor, project coordinator and works with other members of the Foundation team to create materials that support fundraising and raise awareness.
- Contribute as a key member of the Content & Creative team and the broader Marketing & Donor Experience team to produce materials that engage our donors across all areas of fundraising (Annual & Mid-level Giving, Mass, Major Gifts, Events and Corporate Development).
- Write, compile and design consumer-friendly materials that promote the hospital’s strategic plan and vision, with a focus on proposals and reports.
- Gather and tell compelling stories of patient and experience through writing, video and visual storytelling.
- Develop materials to enable the strategic fundraising goals of the Foundation.
- Work closely with members of other Foundation departments to ensure alignment and integration of donor goals and strategies.
- Identify and pursue opportunities to build the profile of the organization through our executive leaders, including social media content, speaking remarks and speaking opportunities.
- Work within the team to undertake the project management, writing and production of more extensive publications, such as the Annual Report and other materials.
- Ensure consistent and effective communication of the Foundation’s brand in all print and digital communications collateral.
- Contribute to the day-to-day execution of the brand and donor experience strategy.
- Find efficiencies to help streamline work and leverage materials across channels.
- Thoughtfully plan their work lead times to ensure that materials are delivered on time and on budget.
- Work effectively within a team to promote a positive and professional work environment and conduct the role with integrity and respect.
- Act as a Cultural Carrier in the organization and in the community.
- Abide by the policies and procedures of CAMH and CAMHF.
- Maintain donor and CAMHF confidentiality and privacy at all times.
- Abide by the Occupational Health and Safety Act, and work in a manner that is safe, reporting incidents immediately to direct supervisor.
- Perform other duties as assigned in order to meet the overall goals and objectives of the Foundation.
- Operate within the culture and core values of the organization.
- Maintain knowledge and expertise in relevant fields.
Qualifications & Characteristics:
- Bachelor’s degree required in marketing, communications, journalism or related field.
- Minimum of five years of experience in communications, public relations, media relations, marketing, or journalism. Combination of relevant education and experience may be considered.
- Excellent writer with an aptitude for engaging donors.
- Strong written and visual storytelling skills. A proven ability to bring a story to life by working with partner to translate the written word into a finished product (IE videos, designed reports, social media, infographics, etc.). Graphic design skills are an asset.
- A proven track record for implementing innovative and best-in-class communication within an organization with multiple stakeholders, including external and internal.
- Demonstrated knowledge of philanthropy, marketing communications, and public relations.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with a desire to put them to use in both a strategic and hands-on approach.
- Proven ability to build and sustain strong working relationships with colleagues and key stakeholders at all levels.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple priorities and be self-motivated in a fast-paced and demanding work environment is required.
- Proven ability to plan and manage projects within established time frames.
- Proficient in the use of all corporate productivity tools including Excel, Word, PowerPoint
- Experience and proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop), and Sharepoint is an asset.
- Experience working in Raiser’s Edge or other donor database management systems is an asset.
- Demonstrated commitment to and understanding of the mission and values of CAMH and CAMHF.
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including occasional evenings and weekends.
Salary Range: $66,000 – $82,000 per year
CAMH Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please don’t hesitate to reach out. Please contact
Wil Steller, Senior Manager, HR & Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org. We celebrate our inclusive work environment ad welcome members of all backgrounds and perspectives to apply. Our north start is creating hope and improving outcomes for people facing mental illness. We work in respectful partnerships with each other and our hospital partners to inspire philanthropy and raise awareness in support of mental health.
To apply: Please submit your cover letter and resume to: HR_Foundation@camh.ca by 5:00 p.m. on April 8, 2022.
CAMH is a Tobacco-Free Organization.
CAMH Is fully affiliated with the University of Toronto and is a teaching hospital and research institute.
CAMH Foundation thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
If contacted for an interview, please inform us should accommodation be required.