Senior Content Specialist
Title: Senior Content Specialist
Department: Marketing & Communications
Reports to: Senior Manager, Marketing
The Senior Content Specialist will play a key role in developing integrated communications that boldly tell the Sunnybrook brand story and support the Foundation’s awareness, stewardship and fundraising goals. Reporting to the Senior Manager Marketing, this individual is a passionate storyteller who will work collaboratively with Foundation and Hospital teams to create compelling content for a range of communication channels and audiences.
- Lead the execution of the Foundation’s content strategy and work with stakeholders to develop an integrated content calendar to support awareness, stewardship and fundraising initiatives across multi-channels including email, direct mail, website, social media, advertising and internal communications
- Source stories for Foundation initiatives working in collaboration with the Foundation and Hospital communications teams to establish a pipeline of fresh content and identify content for repurposing
- Generate ideas to enhance storytelling in multi-channels and execute in varied formats to include: short-form and long-form video, graphics, photography, infographics
- Editor for the monthly Your Health Matters e-newsletter, sourcing stories, creating an editorial calendar, developing and writing stories, repurposing content
- Interview subject matter experts, patients, donors, and staff and convert interviews into channel appropriate communications
- Write a broad range of communications and marketing materials including: brand messaging, web and social media content, impact stories, email copy, video scripts, speaking notes, press releases, event material and staff communications.
- Edit and proofread communications produced by other members of the team and staff across the organization for quality and consistency with brand messaging and tone
- Establish and manage timelines for communications materials from conception to completion, including approvals and working with collaborators to meet deadlines
- Contribute to the measurement and evaluation of content and generates insights
Skills and abilities required:
- A proven track record of creating content for diverse audiences across a range of platforms and in a variety of formats including: email, direct mail, website, social media, advertising, video, internal communications
- Takes a creative approach to storytelling and generates ideas for visual enhancement: layout, photography, illustration, infographics,
- Strong interview skills with the ability to gather technical and personal information from medical teams, patients and donors
- Ability to distill scientific and medical information for a layman audience while maintaining accuracy.
- Excellent research, writing, editing, fact-checking, proofreading, and grammatical skills.
- Familiarity with brand messaging, marketing strategy and tactics, SEO principles and strategies
- Demonstrated success building relationships, working with cross-functional teams and multi-stakeholders
- Self -motivated and resourceful with excellent organizational skills including the ability to work independently, meet deadlines, and co-ordinate a number of projects/programs simultaneously in response to changing/conflicting priorities.
- Solution oriented, embraces change and looks for opportunities for continuous improvement
- 5 -7 years of experience researching, conducting interviews, writing and editing copy and creating content across a range of media and in multi-formats, including print, web, video, social and digital media, events
- Experience building and managing an integrated multi-channel content calendar that reflects organization wide communications objectives
- Previous work in non-profit and specifically in health or education would be an asset
- Intermediate to advanced skill working with MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint and Adobe Creative Suite (including Photoshop, InDesign, Acrobat and Bridge). Personal and professional use of social media platforms including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, blogging software, Google+, LinkedIn, Flickr, Snapchat and Instagram.
- Working knowledge of accessibility standards
- University degree or equivalent experience in Communications, Marketing, Journalism or a related field with an emphasis on multi-channels
If you would like to apply for this role, please send a cover letter and a current resume listing your qualifications and experience by June 23, 2023 to foundationHR@sunnybrook.ca.
Please quote “Senior Content Specialist” in the subject line of your e-mail. We thank all applicants in advance. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Sunnybrook Foundation is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (‘AODA’). If you require accommodations for disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please indicate this in your cover letter.
Sunnybrook Foundation is strongly committed to equity, diversity and inclusion within its community and encourages all applicants including but not limited to: Indigenous, Black and other racialized persons, all religions, cultures, and ethnicities, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ2S+ persons and persons of any gender identity and sexual orientation, and everyone who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
Please be advised that in order to be eligible for employment at Sunnybrook, all new hires must have received the full series of a COVID-19 vaccine or combination of COVID-19 vaccines approved by Health Canada (e.g., two doses of a two-dose vaccine series, or one dose of a single-dose vaccine series); AND have received the final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days ago. Medical exemptions or any other kind of requested exemption based upon the Hospital’s obligations pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code will be considered on a case-by-case bases.