Senior Development Officer
About Markham Stouffville Hospital Foundation:
Markham Stouffville Hospital Foundation (MSHF) enables the growth of Oak Valley Health’s Markham Stouffville Hospital (MSH) by raising funds and awareness for its priorities and ongoing needs. We inspire to earn the generous support of every member of our community. Markham and Stouffville are the fastest growing regions in Canada and recently declared among the nation’s most diverse communities. MSHF is currently in a major capital campaign in support of the hospital’s bold vision to transform MSH into an integrated health care hub with enhanced services, expanded spaces and the best talent to deliver care to our communities.
Oak Valley Health is a progressive health care provider that includes two hospitals – Markham Stouffville Hospital and Uxbridge Hospital, as well as the Reactivation Care Centre. With 329 beds organization-wide, Oak Valley Health is home to leading diagnostic and emergency services, and clinical programs in acute care medicine and surgery, addictions and mental health, and ground-breaking childbirth and children’s services. Markham Stouffville Hospital continues to be the hospital of choice for our diverse population and delivers world-class care, close to home, for patients and their families.
The MSHF is growing its team of fundraising professionals as we embark on an ambitious new campaign. Reporting to the Vice President, Development, the Senior Development Officer (SDO) is part of a dynamic and talented team of fundraising experts. The SDO is responsible for the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of donors (individual, corporate and foundations) at the $100,000+ level. The SDO is accountable for the development of customized strategies and plans to cultivate the interest and involvement of donors capable of making philanthropic gifts at this level and supporting senior fundraising/cabinet volunteers in executing strategies. The ideal candidate is results-driven, donor-centred, has strong business acumen, and the ability to inspire and influence at all levels with poise and confidence.
- Build and manage a portfolio (grow to 75-100 prospects) of new leadership donors/prospects in various stages of identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship and ensure appropriate movement through the pipeline to achieve aggressive revenue and campaign goals
- Develop and implement high-level relationship-building initiatives, cultivate and solicit prospects for leadership giving, and identify and support strategic opportunities for integrated fundraising with legacy giving donors and event sponsors
- Identify and pursue new fundraising opportunities in the emerging business sectors across the Markham and Stouffville catchment areas. Expand MSHF opportunities within the major multi-cultural communities, particularly with the Chinese and South Asian communities
- Provide direct support to assigned fundraising volunteers in their efforts to conduct fundraising calls and activities on behalf of the Foundation, ensuring they are prepared with research, briefing notes, and other relevant information.
- Work with Vice President and development team, in collaboration with physicians and clinical staff, to convert grateful patient referrals to philanthropic donations.
- Conduct appropriate research when required to identify, qualify and evaluate donor prospects for leadership giving
- Conduct external prospect review meetings with volunteers and other external community/business leaders as required and actively participate in regular prospect management & prospect clearance meetings
- Work with the development writer to research, prepare and present high-impact funding proposals and stewardship reports
- Support volunteers and medical staff in their efforts to conduct work on behalf of the Foundation – schedule and plan solicitations, prepare briefing notes, research profiles and any other relevant information to ensure successful calls and outcomes
- Work closely with other members of the Development team to provide exceptional donor service and to deliver the highest standards of excellence and ethics in every donor interaction
- A university degree or a combination of comparable skills and experience, CFRE an asset
- Must have a minimum of 5+ years of experience in major gift fundraising and /or related business development and relationship-building activities
- A seasoned relationship-builder with strong business acumen and a demonstrated track record soliciting and closing philanthropic gifts of $100,000+
- Demonstrated ability working with and supporting senior fundraising volunteers in their work to drive and achieve financial targets and other capacities
- Experience and understanding working with diverse communities including raising funds from culturally diverse communities
- Exceptional interpersonal and presentation skills, as well as ability to interact meaningfully with colleagues, donors, staff and physicians
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and experience creating and presenting compelling proposals to donors
- A strategic thinker and problem solver, with strong organizational and analytical skills. Evidence of initiative, tact, and attention to details
- Connection to York Region or more specifically the Markham/Unionville, Thornhill and Stouffville communities is considered an asset
MSHF offers an exceptional working environment, competitive salary, and a comprehensive benefits package including HOOPP.
Hiring range is $75k-$90k (commensurate with experience) plus annual incentive pay.
Interested applicants should submit their cover letter and resume by October 16, 2022 at
We thank all candidates for their interest but only those invited for interviews will be contacted.