Senior Development Officer
Join the Renewed Seneca, The Next Seneca.
Guided by The Next – A Strategic Plan for Seneca Polytechnic , we offer a working environment that is innovative, flexible and encourages risk-taking. Joining Seneca Polytechnic brings opportunities for professional development and career growth. We focus on health and wellbeing in all its forms to provide a great employee experience.
We are looking for a passionate and ambitious fundraiser who is interested in working on a wide range of funding priorities in support of Seneca students.
Under the direction of the Director, Campaign and Major Gifts and working closely with the Advancement and Alumni team, the Senior Development Officer provides leadership to identify and implement short- and long-range strategic partnerships and plans with Seneca’s philanthropic partners, focused on philanthropic revenue generation of $25,000+, volunteerism, sponsorships and student engagement.
This is a great opportunity for someone who enjoys variety in their work and wants to get involved in every stage of major gifts fundraising. The successful candidate would have the opportunity to work within a highly collaborative environment and to help shape the future of philanthropy at Seneca.
Prospect Identification, Cultivation, Solicitation and Stewardship
- Establishes and develops a prospect pool of 100-125 records based on key fundraising priorities and projects and conducts regular prospect calls.
- Works with senior administrators, boards, faculty and other staff to identify prospects and develop proposals and other solicitation documents.
- Builds philanthropic relations with partners, corporations, alumni and small businesses through individual and group meetings and activities.
- Attends all strategic prospect-focused events.
- Develops and executes individual donor recognition and stewardship plans.
Prospect Management and Coordination
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to participate in prospect and donor management processes consistent and in alignment with the policies of the Advancement and Alumni department.
- Ensures prospects move through pipeline within defined time period.
- Ensures accuracy and completeness of records in donor database for prospects and donors.
- Supports the Director in the administrative management and sound business practice of major gift fundraising.
- Assists with plans regarding long-term fundraising and stewardship strategies for major gifts.
- Carries out other duties as assigned to support the Advancement and Alumni team.
- Represents Seneca at a variety of functions both internally and externally as required.
- Meets with peer groups within the college and business communities to develop strong relationships.
As part of our commitment to dismantling barriers to success and job opportunities for employees and candidates, Seneca may consider applicants with an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum completed three (3) year diploma or degree in fundraising management, marketing and communications, or a related field.
- Minimum seven (7) years’ experience in prospect identification, qualification, cultivation, and solicitation, preferably within a post-secondary institution.
- Experience writing effective funding proposals for a variety of prospects, including private companies, individuals, and foundations.
- Experience using Canva and PowerPoint to deliver captivating proposals would be an asset.
- Experience using Raiser’s Edge NXT would be an asset.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, public relations skills, and tact, with the ability to write enticing funding proposals and build strong relationships with a wide range of prospects and internal stakeholders.
- Entrepreneurial and innovative spirit, with a knack for identifying funding priorities and developing creative solutions.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills in order to effectively manage multiple priorities and stakeholders at the same time.
- Understanding and commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion, particularly within an educational setting.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with other team members in support of Seneca.
Note: A skills assessment test will be administered during the recruitment process.