Senior Development Officer
Ocean Wise is the world-class ocean change maker for concerned collaborators; big and small who want practical solutions with real impact so that they feel empowered and take action to protect oceans, humanity, and the world we live in.
Reporting to the Director of Development, the Senior Development Officer, Corporate (SDO) is responsible for managing a robust portfolio of corporate sponsors and donors capable of making investments of $100,000 or more to advance the Ocean Wise 2030 Conservation Strategy. In collaboration with colleagues across the organization, including program staff, and members of the senior management and executive teams, the SDO will solicit and steward key corporate relationship that ensures revenue targets are achieved. The SDO will also develop and carry through sponsorship activations that will promote the Ocean Wise brand to key audiences.
Manage an active portfolio of approximately 100 constituents by:
- Developing and implementing personalized cultivation and solicitation plans for corporate donors and sponsors;
- Engaging in face-to-face meetings and personalized contact activities;
- Preparing and coordinating fundraising materials such as proposals, briefing notes, presentations, call reports, letters, and other documents/materials;
- Ensuring that donors receive impeccable and personalized stewardship, through tailored correspondence, reports, and updates in a timely and professional manner;
- Working closely with Ocean Wise colleagues to fulfill sponsorship benefits, including developing and managing activations in partnership with corporate sponsors;
- Participating in regular portfolio reviews to ensure that relationships are advancing, and donor development activities are on track;
- Maintaining and properly recording information about prospects, donors, and sponsors, utilizing centralized electronic system and database;
- Tracking benchmarks and delivering on goals quarterly and annually.
Support an integrated approach to development and sponsorship by:
- Developing strategies to help deepen relationships with individual and foundation donors;
- Seeking opportunities to encourage major gift supporters to participate in other development and Ocean Wise programs, such as sponsorship, fundraising events, special appeals, and hosting activities;
- Helping identify fundraising opportunities to expand and grow development results.
Promote a culture of philanthropy at Ocean Wise by:
- Involving the appropriate Ocean Wise program staff or senior leaders in developing and deepening relationships with major gift donors and prospects;
- Actively identifying and assisting in the recruitment of senior volunteers who can elevate fundraising results for Ocean Wise.
Consciously desires to improve Ocean Wise processes by:
- Promptly aiding in Emergency protocol;
- Maintaining organizational safety standards;
- Continually improving our impact on the environment and greening of operations through support of EMS protocols;
- Actively demonstrating the organization’s values and expectations for conduct;
- Performing additional duties of a similar nature or level as required.
Education and Experience
- 5-7 years’ experience in development, sponsorship, or a related field, with a high degree of commercial awareness;
- Post-secondary degree or equivalent experience. Further professional development training and experience an asset;
- Track record of securing 6-figure, multi-year commitments;
- Experience working with volunteers;
- Experience and comfortable working with senior business and community leaders, leading philanthropists, and senior marketing executives;
- Experience working with a diverse array of stakeholders.
- Active demonstration of the company’s values and mission;
- Clear, creative, strategic thinker;
- Ability to effectively establish and manage plans, strategies, and tactics;
- Ability to manage multiple projects and tasks and to produce high quality work under tight deadlines;
- Excellent written/verbal/interpersonal communications skills;
- Excellent presentation skills;
- Demonstrated ability to set and meet targets;
- Special events management/experience an asset;
- Ability to demonstrate a high level of professionalism;
- Ability to inspire confidence in staff, colleagues, volunteers;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Ability to respond positively to frequent change;
- Ability to work with and maintain high degree of confidentiality;
- Strong customer service skills.
- This position will work from home, with preference for being based in the Greater Toronto Area;
- Will be required to conduct in-person meetings with sponsors and donors, and participate in sponsor activations as required;
- May be required to work weekends and/or have flexible work schedule.
Inclusion and Diversity: Ocean Wise is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We are a company where diverse backgrounds, experiences and viewpoints are valued. Ocean Wise does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, age, ethnic or national origin.