Senior Development Officer, Major Gifts
The Royal Conservatory (“RCM”) is one of the largest and most respected music education institutions in the world, providing the definitive standard of excellence in curriculum design, assessment, performance training, and teacher certification. Please visit http://www.rcmusic.com for more information.
The mission of The Royal Conservatory, to develop human potential through leadership in music and the arts, is based on the conviction that the arts are humanity’s greatest means to achieve personal growth and social cohesion. The curriculum for the study of music developed by the RCM has become Canada’s national standard.
What Is the Opportunity?
Reporting to the Senior Director, Major Gifts and Stewardship, the Senior Development Officer, Major Gifts plays an important role in the implementation and ongoing support of the Royal Conservatory of Music’s (“RCM”) major gift program, as well as the management of fundraising efforts for one of the RCM’s key programs.
With experience and understanding of major gift fundraising, this position fulfills a key role in the Major Gifts Team’s to identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit, and steward donors from $5,000-$20,000 level. This role develops a robust prospect pipeline and supports the team’s endeavors to convert those prospects into major gift donors by developing and deepening relationships.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Oversee the fundraising target(s) for one of the RCM’s school programs, which includes research and identify prospects on the individual, corporation, and foundation levels, both within our existing donor base and external.
- Support fundraising committees of the Board through the preparation of materials, including agendas, speaking notes, progress reports, minutes, etc.
- Proactively conduct research to identify and qualify prospects for major giving and an RCM school program. Coordinate pipeline development through the management of prospect lists and assignments on behalf of the team.
- Compose customized donor communications with proposals, briefing notes, presentations, call reports, and letters.
- Assist with the implementation of cultivation and stewardship activities and events to facilitate meaningful donor relationships.
- Assist in the planning and execution of Board and RCM Founders (Board alumni) events, communications and appeals to keep them engaged with the Conservatory.
- Facilitate the customization and tracking of standard donor agreements.
- Assist the team in identifying and implementing appropriate donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies effectively and consistently.
- Actively monitor progress towards financial goals on behalf of the team, enabling necessary action to meet and exceed targets.
- Liaise with other departments to remain current with priorities and plans. Identify, develop, and articulate areas for philanthropic support to diversify and expand The Conservatory’s funding opportunities and donor base.
- Diligently follow development practices and protocols for recording prospect and donor interactions to enable robust, accurate and ongoing relationship management.
- Performing other role-relevant duties as required.
What We’re Looking For
- 3-5 years in a development role, with a successful track record identifying, cultivating, and stewarding donors, with a comprehensive understanding of the major gift donor cycle.
- A university degree or an equivalence in relevant education and experience.
- Superior and demonstrable communication skills (both written and verbal).
- A work history of fundraising success in identifying prospects and their conversion to major gift donors.
- Proven capability as a project manager capable of addressing challenges, overcoming hurdles, collaborating with peers, and involving stakeholders where escalation is needed.
- Exceptional attention to detail; ability to develop, execute and follow through on plans and manage multiple priorities and deadlines simultaneously.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and a positive attitude to work effectively and collaboratively with a variety of stakeholders such as volunteers, donors, and colleagues.
- Diplomacy and the ability to uphold confidentiality are required.
- Flexible and able to work under pressure in a fast paced and results-oriented environment.
- Comfortable with change and ambiguity.
- Proficiency with Raiser’s Edge and Microsoft 365 (Word, Excel, Outlook) and high degree of comfort working with donor databases (consistency in data entry/management and reporting).
- This role requires one to be willing and able to support work on evenings and weekends where required (i.e., for fundraising events and opportunities to meet with donors).
- Role is eligible for a hybrid work arrangement, operating out of the development office as required.
- The salary range identified for this opening is within $70,000 to $80,000 (CAD) per year.
How to Apply
The Royal Conservatory of Music is committed to a policy of equity and inclusion. In accordance with Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and RCM’s Access and Equity policy, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. Interested candidates are asked to submit a cover letter and current résumé online at www.rcmusic.com/about-us/careers-royal-conservatory no later than Friday, July 21, 2023. Job seekers are encouraged to set up a candidate profile to apply and be alerted to relevant future opportunities.
We thank all applicants and will contact only those selected for an interview. Please note this position may be filled prior to the application deadline if a suitable candidate has been identified.