Senior Development Officer – Prospect Research & Management
Organization: Kids Help Phone
Title: Senior Development Officer – Prospect Research & Management
Position: Full Time, Permanent
Reports to: Director, Advancement Operations
Location: Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, or Halifax (temporarily remote due to COVID-19; hybrid thereafter)
Is this you?
Are you motivated by the opportunity to positively impact mental health for young people in Canada? Would you be passionate about helping young people deal with the challenges of growing up in today’s complex, ever-changing, technologically-driven world?
You have a deep understanding of how research and analysis works to advance fundraising strategies. You are a naturally inquisitive with strong attention to detail. You have a background in prospect research and are familiar with the business and philanthropic landscape in Canada. You are able to combine a strong analytical skillset with effective prospect management practices to enable our mission and vision for youth mental health.
Kids Help Phone is on a transformational journey, one that will change the landscape of youth mental health in Canada. We cannot do it without a team who are willing to be game changers and help fuel that journey. We need team members that are passionate about making a real difference in young people’s lives. It will take courage. It will take resilience. Sound like a journey you want to be a part of? Then keep reading…
Kids Help Phone is a Canadian and world leader, known for their expertise and continuous innovation as Canada’s only 24/7 professional counselling and information service for young people in both English and French. They have been pioneers in virtual care and e-health solutions for young people in Canada for over 32 years.
Since 1989, they have offered kids, teens and young adults a critical lifeline of hope and support through their free, anonymous and confidential services, which research shows significantly improves youth mental health.
Young people reach out to Kids Help Phone’s professional counsellors and trained volunteers from every corner of the country via phone, Live Chat and texting, and benefit from a database of local youth-serving programs. Kids Help Phone’s website is a widely recognized model of youth-focused design; offering therapeutic tools, games, information, and counselling.
The Senior Development Officer, Prospect Research & Management (SDO) is responsible for providing research, analysis and data management support to staff and volunteers engaging in fundraising activities. As a member of the Advancement Department, the Senior Officer will provide expertise in aligning research and prospect management strategies to Kids Help Phone’s strategic goals and operating plan – delivering prioritized, high quality, accurate and timely prospect research to build Kids Help Phone’s supporter base, increasing not only quantity but also the quality of the organization’s data. The SDO is responsible for the information flow to and from fundraising staff and ensure the integrity of prospect data and reports in Raiser’s Edge.
This role will be a critical position in the largest fundraising campaign of its kind for youth mental health in Canada’s history.
What You’ll Do
- Be the subject-matter expert and strategic advisor to the Advancement team on Prospect Research and Management
- Produce in-depth, well-written reports on prospects and donors by synthesizing and analyzing information obtained from internal and external sources
- Develop and implement proactive prospecting methodologies to identify potential supporters and track status internally
- Develop and implement annual plan for prospect research and management activities in alignment with overall strategic directions
- Using a broad spectrum of sources, research, organize, and evaluate financial capacity, ability to give, willingness to give, charitable interests, and connection to the organization
- Collaborate and provide leadership across the Advancement team to manage, maintain and enhance prospect-related data and processes, ensuring there is broad adoption of prospect management strategies, prospect clearance, and pipeline entry protocols
- Conduct ongoing media scanning to monitor relevant news, people, events, issues, trends that impact fundraising strategies and provide suggested action items for follow-up
- Collaborate with Director, Advancement Operations and other internal stakeholders to provide a seamless and effective Raiser’s Edge experience, including training, documenting, and internally championing the system’s use (scale back on training requirement, more on compliance with business practice)
- Review, maintain and make recommendations on prospect research tools, subscriptions and services
- Maintain an awareness of best practices in prospect research, management and pipeline development through ongoing professional development and networking
What You’ll Need
- University degree, preferably in Library and Information Science, or acceptable equivalent education or training
- 5 years of experience in fundraising role with a focus on prospect research and prospect management
- Experience producing high quality research products related to Foundations, Corporations, and Individuals (experience with Government Funding an asset)
- Experience fundraising in a campaign environment
- Strong project management and problem-solving abilities
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks effectively and efficiently, superior organizational skills and strict attention to detail, ability to work under deadline
- Demonstrated ability to be effective when working independently and to successfully lead collaborative, cross-functional work
- Interpersonal skills that support research outcomes being adopted and effective decision making by stakeholders
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information with discretion
- Proficiency with Raiser’s Edge or other fundraising database, including database management, data mining and analysis and report generation
- Comprehensive understanding of and experience in prospect research using a variety of online databases such as SEDAR and SEDI, CRA Charities, Iwave, and CharityCAN
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint (experience with PowerBI an asset)
- Understanding of Canadian business landscape, financials and corporate annual reports
- Fluency in French an asset
- APRA membership an asset
- Possess a current “Police Reference Check” prior to starting employment
You’ll already have the following
- A passion and curiosity for solving analytical problems using quantitative approaches
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Commitment to the vision and goals of the organization
Are you are inspired by helping to meet the quickly evolving needs of young people in Canada today and are ready to contribute to a dynamic organization dedicated to improving their mental health and well-being?
History in the making!
Does this sound like a journey you want to be a part of?
Open the posting and click the “Apply” button in the top right corner of the page. Please attach a single file with your resume and cover letter titled: *lastname_firstname_Senior Development Officer, Prospect Research *
For more information about Kids Help Phone, please visit our website at https://kidshelpphone.ca/
The position will be posted until January 31, 2022 .
Accredited member, Imagine Canada Standards Program.
Kids Help Phone is an equal opportunity employer, values diversity of people and communities, and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our organization. We welcome applications from visible minority group members, women, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities, members of sexual minority groups, and others who respect and reflect the diversity of service users.
Kids Help Phone is committed to providing barrier-free environment and accommodation in accordance with the Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise Human Resources person if your require accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process.