Senior Major Gifts Officer
Mackenzie Health Foundation supports Mackenzie Health’s mission to relentlessly improve care to create healthier communities through the funding of capital projects, medical equipment, technology and educational opportunities for Mackenzie Health. The Foundation just achieved an incredible $250 Million campaign milestone – the largest ever for a community hospital in Canada – but our work is not done. The Ultimate Campaign built and equipped Cortellucci Vaughan Hospital and helped enhance care at Mackenzie Richmond Hill Hospital; going forward, our fundraising efforts will ensure a steady flow of resources to attract the very best talent, advance excellence in our programs and services and secure the latest equipment and technology as we focus on providing the best possible outcomes for every patient who comes through our doors.
Reporting to the Director, Campaigns, the Senior Major Gifts Officer will be responsible for proactively developing and managing a pipeline of 150 prospective donors and closing gifts in the range of $100,000 to $1M. Passionate about York Region and about helping Mackenzie Health grow to meet community needs, the Senior Major Gifts Officer is a naturally curious, self-starter who can work independently and also as a collaborative partner with senior volunteers and the entire Mackenzie Health Foundation team to open doors and deliver results.
The Senior Major Gifts Officer will possess a passion for philanthropy, bring a depth of experience and knowledge of moves management principals, poised and professional in every interaction and is simply a master at relationship building. Armed with a compelling case for support and extensive fundraising tools, the Senior Major Gifts Officer will with ease leverage their dynamic interpersonal and presentation skills to increase financial support at the major and leadership gift levels. Persistent in their drive to identify and employ new ideas to cultivate prospects, solicit donors and provide personalized stewardship the Senior Major Gifts Officer is a highly motivated, boots on the ground fundraiser excited to embrace the enormous philanthropic opportunity just north of Toronto and inspire donors to fulfill their passions through their giving to Mackenzie Health.
- Active in revenue generation with a personal, annual revenue goal starting at $1 million+; maintaining a personal portfolio of up to 150 prospects at various stages of development to meet defined revenue goal.
- Utilize proactive identification and qualification strategies including cold calling, visits, prospect research etc. to identify untapped sources of revenue and expand prospect pool to build donor pipeline
- Develop and implement strategies that identify, engage, cultivate, solicit and steward a pipeline prospects and donors to secure gifts in the $100,000 to $1M range.
- Generate and execute donor calls independently and with senior volunteers in a manner that meets position metrics and overall goals
- Identify opportunities and leverage creative thinking to attract and confirm donor support amongst the diverse groups represented in York region
- Provide direction to the Marketing and Communications team to help author compelling, donor-centric major gift proposals and supplementary information to ensure all donor and prospect correspondence is produced to a high-standard and aligned with hospital and foundation messaging
- Partners or “buddies” with designated volunteer canvassers to execute prospect solicitation strategies, including ensuring all parties are appropriately trained and briefed
- Monitor and report on key metrics in relation to the portfolio. Prepare and execute contingency plans as needed.
- Drive private and/or public foundation strategies and own select target community engagement
- Maintain accurate and timely records in Raiser’s Edge
- Maintain a high degree of motivation, teamwork and superior work ethic consistent with the employment philosophy of the Foundation.
- Adheres to Occupational Health and Safety Legislation and Mackenzie Health’s Health and Safety Policies.
- Positively represents Mackenzie Health Foundation in the community.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
What must you have?
- University degree/College diploma in a relevant field required; CFRE Certification considered an asset
- Progressive fundraising and/or sponsorship sales experience with a demonstrated track record of closing 5 and 6 figure gifts
- Self-starter approach to revenue generation with the ability to modify traditional fundraising methods and embrace new ways of working with donor prospects who are ethnically diverse and view philanthropy with a unique lens
- Experience managing fundraising volunteers to meet revenue targets
- A strong relationship builder through effective communications and ability to establish trusting relationships with key stakeholder groups.
- Extremely effective interpersonal skills with a professional presence and manner, and capable of exercising independent judgment, initiative and flexibility.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, work proactively, and manage competing priorities in a complex environment.
- Knowledge and experience in cultivating and securing major gifts from private and/or public foundations and where appropriate integrating Planned Giving discussions into prospect and donor strategies to maximize support
- Excellent organizational, planning and time management skills and exacting attention to detail.
- Superb critical and analytical thinking, decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent oral and written skills with a demonstrated ability to write effectively and persuasively and present to diverse groups.
- Strong computer skills, including experience with MS Office software applications and demonstrated knowledge of Raiser’s Edge, preferred.
- Prepared to respond to a fast-paced changing environment requiring flexibility and adaptability with respect to working hours.
- Access to a vehicle and valid driver’s license
What else do you bring?
- Passion for healthcare philanthropy and major gift fundraising
- Experience working in a healthcare related and/or not-for-profit environment is considered an asset
- Respectful and service orientated to donors, volunteers and peer Foundation and Hospital staff
- Effectively uses empathy in interactions with others.
- Demonstrates behaviours consistent with Mackenzie Health Foundation’s Commitment to Caring.
- Models behaviour that is aligned with the values of Mackenzie Health Foundation – Excellence, Leadership and Integrity.
- Demonstrates understanding and complies with patient and staff safety policies and procedures that foster a safe and inclusive environment for all.
*You may be required to work at any site of Mackenzie Health