Senior Manager, Communications
Date: March 2022
Department: Marketing & Communications
Reports to: Vice President, Marketing & Communications
Status: Permanent Full-Time
Salary: $80,000-$90,000 Per Annum Plus Benefits
Second Harvest is Canada’s largest food rescue organization and expert in perishable food recovery.
We rescue surplus, unsold food from across the supply chain and redistribute it to not-for-profits across the country to feed communities.
The Senior Manager, Communications is responsible for leading the development and implementation of an organization-wide communications and public relations strategy to inspire engagement across stakeholders.
As the communications expert in the organization, you will guide the communication strategy for Second
Harvest, establish and maintain the annual communication and key messaging calendar, manage media,
partner, and sponsor relations ensuring the Second Harvest message is delivered across all channels. You will also serve as the primary point of contact for mission-based newsworthy events, oversee media strategy, contribute to content writing and development, support CEO positioning, seek thought leadership
opportunities and collaborate on internal communications.
As the primary storyteller of the organization, you actively seek the “story behind the story,” and inspire the
public to learn more about Second Harvest’s national impact.
- You Will
• Work closely with leadership to develop a communications plan to meet business priorities.
• Provide senior communication leadership to Second Harvest staff, partners, committees, and volunteers.
• Provide oversight on all departments’ planning and strategy related to communications, to reach fundraising, food raising, brand awareness and volunteer goals.
• Create and shape content and narratives that illustrate impact; determine best practices for gathering and sharing impact stories; help to cultivate storytelling culture across the organization.
• Manage organization positioning; contribute to enhancing brand presence in thoughtful, detailed
communications for multiple audiences/stakeholders.
• Work collaboratively with colleagues on the digital team to develop content that aligns channel styles, voices, and consistent content.
• Develop and manage a national PR strategy to promote the Second Harvest brand, secure and manage relationships with PR/advertising agencies as needed, set KPIs, and report against established metrics.
• Build on and maintain media contacts; respond to and actively seek out media opportunities.
• Draft and promote press releases and media advisories, and secure awareness opportunities; provide timely key messaging direction.
• Collaborate across the organization to enhance internal and external messaging; provide editorial oversight for the organization, including proofreading and copy-editing of proposals, newsletters, website content, ads, reports, and other communication pieces.
• Support executive communications and speechwriting for CEO.
• Oversee Ambassador program in partnership with Development department, identifying key spokespersons to represent Second Harvest and increase brand awareness.
• Lead communications team and work effectively within a matrix framework; create a positive team dynamic and monitor performance and development goals; mentor success, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, evaluate results, and conduct annual performance reviews.
• Provide ongoing research into the hunger relief sector, food industry, and greenhouse gas emissions; identify communication opportunities to help build the Second Harvest brand and thought leadership.
• Identify public relations risks to the organization and provide counsel and communication planning as needed.
• Perform other related duties as required or assigned to support the overall goals of the organization.
- About You
• Gifted Communicator and Storyteller: you have a knack for making complex ideas seem clear and simple; you have advanced communication and editorial skills.
• Interpersonal Skills: you have excellent judgement and discretion, coupled with superior customer service and diplomacy.
• Detail Oriented with a Strategic Mindset: you have excellent project and time management skills; you have keen attention to detail, coupled with the ability to see the big picture.
• Flexible: constant change motivates you to adapt and grow; you are open to new technology and a changing work environment; you can think creatively to solve problems and meet deadlines.
• An Industry Expert: you keep pace with communications/public relations trends; you are a wordsmith and content keyword expert with hands-on knowledge of digital/social communications.
• Experienced: You have a minimum 7 years of public relations/media experience at the senior manager or manager level; you have experience managing and working with external and internal stakeholders, including media, public, corporate, and government ideally as a journalist or communications professional.
• Able to lead and work in a fast-paced environment.
• Interested and curious about food recovery, the environment, and hunger relief.
• Able to work flexible hours, which may include working from home, with some weekend and evening work.
• Second Harvest requires that all employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as defined by Health Canada.
The Organization will comply with its obligations pursuant to the applicable human rights legislation and
accommodate any prospective or current employee who is unable to be vaccinated for substantiated reasons, such as medical or religious reasons. Second Harvest’s vaccination policy is available upon request.
For more information about Second Harvest, visit: www.secondharvest.ca.
Please submit your cover letter and resume on or before March 27, 2022, via email, with “SENIOR MANAGER,
COMMUNICATIONS” in the subject line, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We encourage applications from individuals who self-identify as belonging to equity-seeking groups such as (but not limited to): racialized persons/persons of colour, women, Indigenous peoples, persons with
disabilities, and LGBTQ2S+ persons.
We would like to thank all applicants for applying for this position, however you will only be contacted if your candidacy is being considered. Second Harvest is committed to an inclusive and accessible recruitment and selection process. Please let us know if you require any accommodations.