Senior Manager, Development
The Loran Scholars Foundation is looking for a keen and proven fundraising professional to join our team. We are a national charity, working in partnership with Canadian universities and hundreds of donors and volunteers across the country to offer Canada’s top undergraduate award recognizing character, service and leadership potential. We challenge Loran Scholars and alumni to be socially responsible, entrepreneurial and community-focused leaders who will positively impact society. Learn more at www.loranscholar.ca.
As part of a small and dynamic team, the Senior Manager, Development helps to lead Loran’s national fundraising efforts, and is responsible for working to secure a diversified and sustainable revenue base and meet annual fundraising goals to support the work of the Foundation. The Senior Manager, Development initiates, builds, and deepens relationships with donors, and designs and maintains integral systems to ensure fundraising efforts are successful. In partnership with the CEO, and with the contributions of the Development & Stewardship Officer, the Senior Manager, Development leads major gift activities, including the development of fundraising strategies, identification of funding opportunities, crafting proposals and reports, and the management of stewardship efforts.
Location: Remote from anywhere in Canada, with some travel for up to a week at a time.
- Reports to: CEO
- Direct report: Development & Stewardship Officer
- Key external relationships: Existing and prospective individual donors; Board of Directors; select alumni
Main Duties and Key Responsibilities
- Conduct strategic research on current and prospective donors and develop strategies for donor solicitation.
- Work to establish and manage a healthy pipeline of prospects.
- Develop and facilitate stewardship strategies and plans, and ensure stewardship efforts and activities are executed on time and with high quality and efficiency.
- Coordinate the donations renewal and acknowledgement processes.
- Cultivate, develop and maintain relationships with Loran’s donors and prospects.
- Prepare fundraising proposals, impact reports, and other materials to support fundraising and stewardship efforts.
- Liaise with Board Directors to support their fundraising success.
- Write custom communication materials (i.e., scholar updates) for donors, prospects, and board members.
- Oversee proper fundraising recordkeeping and acknowledgement systems. including the maintenance of accurate and up-to-date data in our CRM.
- Coordinate donor prospecting and cultivation events to raise the profile of Loran in the community and attract new supporters.
- Supervise and coordinate the work of the Development & Stewardship Coordinator to ensure a smooth functioning team that meets its goals and objectives.
- Keep informed of successful fundraising techniques and best practices, and implement these to further the foundation’s fundraising goals.
- Develop, manage, and ensure adherence to budgets.
- Other activities as assigned, including contributing as required to the Foundation’s mission, including activities related to selections and stewardship of scholars.
Skills, Experience and Attributes Required
- A post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree, preferably in fundraising.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a development role with proven, demonstrated success in revenue generation and building relationships.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience developing strategies for prospect pipeline development, major gift cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with superior EQ and a high level of personal integrity.
- Critical thinking skills, a proactive orientation, and a creative approach to problem solving.
- A superior level of organization and the ability to be efficient and effective in managing workflow in a timely manner to achieve maximum success.
- Strong leadership and project management skills, including the ability to manage multiple, concurrent projects under tight timelines.
- Comprehensive understanding of donor database fundamentals and experience using a CRM system to manage donors, gifts and fundraising analytics.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in a variety of formats.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work both independently and in collaboration with other staff, board members, volunteers, donors and students.
- Ability to travel, on occasion, as well as work occasional evenings and weekends, as per project requirements.
- Desire to be part of a highly motivated, connected, nationally-based remote team with a high-level of enthusiasm for Loran’s mission.
- CFRE designation.
- Familiarity with Salesforce and/or Causeview.
- Prior experience fundraising for the Canadian post-secondary, educational, or youth-leadership sectors.
- Proficiency in French.
- Salary: $80k per year, commensurate with experience
- Vacation: three-weeks paid vacation per year, plus a two-week office closure in December
- Employer matched RRSP and benefits plans
- Cell phone and internet stipend
How to Apply
Please forward your résumé and cover letter in one Word or PDF file to Lily Manea, Director of Operations, at email@example.com by 9:00am Eastern, Monday, June 20, 2022.
The Loran Scholars Foundation is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates, particularly from Indigenous and other historically marginalized communities; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If you require accommodation in the interview process, please communicate that if contacted.