Senior Manager, Resource Development
Hamilton Food Share is seeking a knowledgeable, skilled, and community-minded fundraiser to join the team as Senior Manager, Resource Development. Reporting to the CEO and as part of the organization’s Senior Management Team, the Senior Manager, Resource Development is responsible for the development and execution of all fundraising, donor relations, and volunteer engagement programs to support the mission of Hamilton Food Share.
With accountability for approximately 4 million dollars in annual revenue that support emergency food programs in the Hamilton region, the role is responsible for leading and supporting the work of two team members who execute community relations and grant writing activities. The Senior Manager will bring experience developing strategic fundraising plans and will foster strong relationships and connections on behalf of Hamilton Food Share. This role is pivotal in securing the resources that enable food to be distributed to community groups supporting thousands of community members every month.
The successful candidate will be experienced in multiple forms of fundraising including grant writing and preparing proposals, special events, direct marketing, on-line giving, corporate partnerships and individual giving. The ability to skillfully execute on all aspects of the fundraising cycle including prospecting and cultivation, stewardship and recognition, communications, and database management, will be key success factors in this role.
The Senior Manager, Resource Development will be a skilled relationship manager committed to being visible in the community and building collaborative and mutually beneficial partnerships in order to promote understanding of Hamilton Food Share and ensure positive relationships with community members and businesses, donors, sponsors and partners as well as staff and volunteers.
ABOUT HAMILTON FOOD SHARE
Hamilton Food Share is the city’s Emergency Food shipping and receiving hub, and Emergency Food Systems Coordinator for the network of agencies it supports. The organization is committed to raising food and funds for emergency food programs including food banks and hot meal programs in neighborhoods across every corner of the city. Last year, Hamilton Food Share raised and distributed over 4.37 million pounds of nutritionally rich foods to help ensure that people living in poverty have access to healthy food for themselves and their families.
The impact of Hamilton Food Share is achieved when large-scale food and financial donations are received and distributed to front-line service organizations.
A well-established, incredible community of support includes farmers, wholesalers, retailers, and thousands of local people who donate healthy fresh, frozen, and non-perishable food by the truckload through food drives, and make financial donations to help their neighbours get enough to eat.
Hamilton Food Share believes in measurable results, so donors know the impact of their donation. At Hamilton Food Share, every $1 donated raises $5 worth of food.
Priority Food Project
This $1 Million investment aimed to purchase priority food items – as identified by our member agencies – that are not consistently available through donations but are of vital importance throughout their hunger relief programs. This strengthening in the level and reach of support we provided to our member agencies resulted in a 40% increase in the number of meals distributed through emergency food bank programs, and a 68% increase in the number of meals provided through our hot meal programs. All participating agencies indicated an ability to increase the quantity and quality of food given on a visit, and a significant increase in consistent access to nutritious fresh food.
Menstrual Pilot Project
In the fall of 2021, Hamilton Food Share entered a 12-month pilot involving collaboration with The City of Hamilton, to distribute menstrual products throughout the Emergency Food Network across the city of Hamilton. This essential resource will be available to all individuals who identify a need when they visit any of our hunger relief member agencies.
Holiday Hamper Programs
During the holiday season Hamilton Food Share committed to providing all our member agencies the food resources they would need to provide hampers to all households looking for support throughout the month of December. Our warehouse received and distributed over 300 pallets of food used to create 9,000 food hampers.
Ongoing access to our secondary warehouse enabled Hamilton Food Share to absorb larger donations and increased our capacity to receive and store non-perishable and non-food items. In 2021-2022, 543 pallets of food weighing over 880,000 lbs, were stored in our secondary warehouse. This warehouse was instrumental in our ability to operationalize new programs.
Organizations Supported by Hamilton Food Share
Hamilton Food Share is a hub for procuring and distributing food to the member agencies who participate in the Emergency Food Network in Hamilton.
In addition to the Emergency Food Network in Hamilton, partnerships with member organizations within the Niagara Region enable Hamilton Food Share to have an expanded reach and support more people in need.
Hamilton Food Share is a proud partner of Feed Ontario and Food Banks of Canada.
All of the food received at Hamilton Food Share is shared across the Emergency Food Network, helping the following organizations:
- De Mazenod Door Outreach
- East Hamilton Food Centre (Mission Services)
- Flamborough Food Bank
- Good Shepherd Centre
- Hamilton Jewish Family Services
- Living Rock Ministries
- Mission Services of Hamilton
- Native Women’s Centre
- Neighbour to Neighbour Centre
- Niwasa Kendaaswin Teg
- Salvation Army Hamilton & Dundas
- Stoney Creek Community Food Bank
- Welcome Inn
- Wesley Urban Ministries
- Ancaster Community Services
- Food for Life
- North York Harvest Food Bank
Niagara Regional Hub Members
- The Burlington Food Bank
- Caledonia Food Bank
- Cayuga Food Bank
- Community Care of West Niagara
- Community Outreach Program, Fort Erie
- Food Bank of Waterloo Region
- Food with Grace Waterdown Food Bank
- Grimsby Benevolent Fund
- Hagersville Food Bank
- Jarvis Caring Cupboard Food Bank
- Pelham Cares in Fonthill
- Port Colborne Food Centre
- Project Share, Niagara Falls
- Salvation Army Food Bank, Dunnville
- Salvation Army Food Bank, Fort Erie
- Catharines Community Care
- The Hope Centre, Welland
- West Lincoln Community Care, Smithville
We also assist two school breakfast programs, the Out of the Cold program, various women’s shelters, men’s hostels and youth centres.
- Hamilton Food Share Website
- 2021 Annual Report
- 2021 Hunger Report
- 2021 Financial Statements
- Hamilton Food Share Twitter
- Hamilton Food Share Facebook
- Hamilton Food Share Instagram
- Hamilton Food Share YouTube
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Fund Development Leadership
- Collaborate with the CEO to create long term growth strategies and fund development plans that increase revenue and support the strategic direction of Hamilton Food Share.
- Work collaboratively with the Senior Management Team to align development goals and strategies with the organizational direction.
- Ensure that fundraising plans are diversified across a range of revenue streams including individual donations, foundation grants, special events, 3rd party fundraisers, and corporate sponsorships.
- Create and execute annual operational plans, establishing and monitoring goals, objectives, targets and budgets for fundraising.
- Monitor trends in the community and region and adapt fundraising strategies as necessary.
- Develop and implement innovative and strategic communication and solicitation strategies to build donor loyalty, improve retention and increase size of the supporter base.
- Conduct comprehensive research to identify and recommend potential funding prospects and opportunities
- Develop and implement strategies to grow the current donor base of individual giving through the established monthly donor program.
- Develop a strategy on how to promote major and planned giving in the community and directly cultivate, solicit and steward a portfolio of planned giving prospects.
- Work with professional advisors to design planned giving materials including bequests, insurance policies and wills.
- Provide oversight and guidance to the Grant Writer in researching and preparing grant proposals and submissions to corporations, foundations, and private granting organizations.
- Provide oversight and guidance to the Community Relations Coordinator in managing special events and social media as well as grant writing.
- Develop an annual calendar of community events with analysis that includes communication requirements, time spent, money raised, and donor recognition opportunities.
- Track donor information and outcomes of fundraising activities and provide regular written evaluations with recommendations for refining resource development goals and targets.
- Lead and support direct reports in carrying out established annual goals and targets.
- Oversee the volunteer program by ensuring appropriate training and supports are in place for the recruitment and retention of volunteers.
- Develop an annual income and expenditure budget for the fund development program for approval.
- Monitor expenses and analyze budget reports on fund development and recommend changes as necessary.
- Ensure accurate coding of all donations received with the relevant campaign and appeal information.
- Develop marketing and communication materials and ensures regular updates as needed.
- Ensure that accurate and timely information is posted on the website that enhances on-line presence, including web-based fundraising.
- Represent Hamilton Food Share at community events and public speaking opportunities and identify and cultivate opportunities for mutually beneficial, long-term partnerships.
- Oversee and initiate media, promotions, and public relations.
QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Experience planning and executing a diverse development portfolio and driving success through multiple streams of fundraising.
- Proven results building and nurturing strong and lasting strategic partnerships relationships that maximize financial success.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills. Ability to work well with diverse groups of people.
- Experience working well with volunteer teams, community-based organizations and large businesses.
- Strong project coordination with the ability to effectively manage multiple projects, deadlines and priorities.
- Superior written, verbal, and non-verbal communication skills. Attention to detail and accuracy including strong proofreading skills.
- Financial literacy (budget preparation and monitoring).
- Initiative, self-starter, ability to work with little supervision and to collaborate effectively.
- Thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Understanding of, and commitment to maintaining regulatory, legal and legislative requirements.
- Knowledgeable on planned giving options and benefits for Canadians based on accepted industry standards, benchmarks and best practices an asset.
- Experience in people management an asset.
- Familiarity with the issues surrounding hunger and poverty an asset.
- Understanding of the community of Hamilton and surrounding area, or ability to immerse in the community and develop understanding and awareness of the role and impacts of Hamilton Food Share.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
KCI Search + Talent has been retained to conduct this search on behalf of Hamilton Food Share. For more information about this opportunity, please contact Mia Gardiner, Senior Consultant, KCI Search + Talent by email at HFS@kcitalent.com.
To view full position brief, visit www.kcitalent.com
All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence. Interested candidates should send resume and letter of interest to the email address listed above by December 17, 2022.
The salary range for this position is $80,000-$100,000 and includes a comprehensive benefits package.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. If you require any accommodations, please notify the Search Consultant.
This is a fill-time onsite role, located in Hamilton Ontario with an expectation to be in the office most of the time with flexibility around working from home as schedules allow.