Senior Philanthropy Officer Major Gifts and Planned Giving
St. Michael’s Foundation stops at nothing to fund the relentless pursuit of solutions to some of the world’s toughest health challenges.
Now, the leadership at St. Michael’s Hospital and Providence Healthcare has come to us with an audacious idea. They want to lead a global movement to reinvent the patient experience. So along with our physicians, scientists, educators and AI experts, we designed a $1-billion campaign to make it happen. It’s called HUMANCARE.
Bolstered by our fierce community of donors and volunteers, we’re mobilizing people, businesses and foundations to support our experts in designing new models of health care that’s delivered when, where and how patients need it. In building state-of-the-art facilities that uplift and comfort. In harnessing big data and artificial intelligence to reduce wait times and make medicine more precise. In conducting research that not only treats illness, but prevents it as well. In rooting medical education in empathy. And in making health equity central to everything we do.
Click here to learn more about HUMANCARE.
By joining St. Michael’s Foundation at this historic time, you’ll:
- Be a part of a growing, diverse team of die-hard fundraisers who are passionate about health care.
- Be on the ground floor of a $1-billion landmark movement that will come to life through the latest in fundraising strategies, multidimensional communications campaigns, and new kinds of stewardship programs.
- Support health teams who never-say-never in the face of the world’s toughest health problems, and who are creating new models of care to improve the patient experience – in Canada and beyond.
- Join a diverse and inclusive workforce whose priority is to treat everyone equitably and without judgment.
- Work in a flexible, hybrid environment that presents opportunities for growth and development.
Note: Applications will be reviewed as received, so we encourage all to apply as soon as possible.
ABOUT ST. MICHAEL’S HOSPITAL
Founded nearly 130 years ago by the Sisters of St. Joseph with a focus on caring for those experiencing disadvantage and marginalization, St. Michael’s Hospital has transformed into a global powerhouse in research, education and patient care. Our world-leading physicians, surgeons, scientists and staff take on some of the world’s toughest health challenges – from critical care and trauma, to heart disease and neurosurgery, to multiple sclerosis and urban health. They dig deep to find solutions to intractable medical problems. They advocate on behalf of those whose health is complicated by life circumstances. They are relentless.
ABOUT PROVIDENCE HEALTHCARE
In 1857, the Sisters of St. Joseph opened the doors to the Houses of Providence to care for the most vulnerable in society. As the needs of its communities changed, so too did Providence. Yet what has remained constant is an abiding commitment to those who need care, no matter who they are or where they come from. Today, Providence Healthcare is home to Toronto’s most advanced rehabilitation hospital, which takes on some of the toughest cases – and produces the city’s best results. It is also renowned for its long-term care home, its geriatric medicine and its palliative and community care. Now, Providence is poised to become a world leader in care for seniors whose research, education and treatment will impact the practice of hospitals, long-term care homes, and even shelters not only nationally, but globally.
|Senior Philanthropy Officers at St. Michael’s Foundation are part of a dynamic, diversified and talented team of fundraising experts. This role’s primary responsibility will be to strategically plan, implement and actively build major and planned gift solicitation and pipeline strategies along with stewardship activities to maximize individual, corporate and foundation donor support through various channels integral to building a robust pipeline of prospects and donors. This position works closely and collaboratively with a dynamic philanthropy team in the rollout of effective and sustainable programs to achieve targets and other agreed financial and non-financial goals for this vital portfolio for St. Michael’s Hospital and Providence Healthcare.|
- Develop an understanding of the educational, research, clinical and financial needs and goals of St. Michael’s Hospital and Providence Healthcare.
- Work in partnership with senior management to facilitate maximum private sector support for St. Michael’s Hospital and Providence Healthcare.
- Engage regularly with Hospital leadership, physicians and staff to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward major gift donors.
- Liaise with annual, virtual experiences and community giving staff to ensure that major and planned giving fundraising is coordinated with their initiatives.
- Liaise with communications staff to develop campaign materials, proposals, stewardship reports and tailored communications to donors
- Liaise with prospect researcher to identify prospects that are appropriate matches for priority areas.
- Lead development and execution of a portfolio of major gifts and pledges focusing on gifts of $250,000 to $1 million.
- Present planned gift opportunities to donors in combination with major gift approaches.
- Support senior Foundation leadership staff and volunteers in the development and execution of major gifts and pledges for donors with the capacity to give $1m+.
- Manage a group of 80-100 potential donors at varying stages of identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship using a focused and accountable approach of strategy development and implementation.
- Identify potential donors and develop strategies to solicit those prospects and steward their gifts, including the development of written materials such as cases for support, proposals, and scripts.
- Solicit prospects face-to-face and effectively articulate in written and verbal communications the mission and impact of the hospital to deepen relationships with donors, prospects and high-level supporters
- Work closely with volunteers including board members and HUMANCARE team members on developing strategies, goals, and timelines for successful solicitations.
- Liaise with the Gift Processing Team to ensure that acknowledgments, tax receipts and other correspondence are sent in a timely manner.
- Liaise with the Donor Relations & Stewardship team to determine the best strategies for the effective stewardship of donors.
- Prepare activity reports (includes: names of donors to recruit/visit, solicitation calls and cultivation calls).
- Ensure all donor information is accurately recorded in Raisers Edge and the shared drive in an accurate and timely fashion
- Volunteer Management Activities:
- Identify, cultivate and solicit, with the assistance of key board members and volunteers where appropriate, those persons able to make gifts to the hospital.
- Manage relationships with relevant board members, HUMANCARE campaign team members and committee members involving staff and volunteer leaders as appropriate to raise funds for approved priorities and program areas for the campaign and the hospital
- Work with senior management to identify and recruit volunteer leaders.
Planning and Communications Activities:
- Assist in the preparation of an annual plan of measurable goals and strategies (including precise and practical timelines) to maximize major gifts to the HUMANCARE Campaign.
- Provide specific major gifts and planned giving goals and objectives that can be incorporated into overall SMF annual and multi-year plans to maximize major gifts from individuals, corporations and foundations for HUMANCARE funding priorities.
- Report on fundraising activities (including names of volunteers to recruit/visit, cultivation/solicitation/stewardship calls, etc.) and ensure that all activity and actions are recorded in the Foundation’s Raiser’s Edge database.
- Work with colleagues to plan and execute proposals, case for support, letters, reports, gift agreements and targeted communications for current and potential major gift donors.
- A university degree or a combination of comparable skills and experience.
- Must have 7-10 years of experience working in fundraising with at least 1-2 of those years in major and planned giving.
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Experience in creating and presenting compelling proposals to donors.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and very strong person-to-person relationship-building skills.
- Ability to work with senior leaders, physicians, and other foundations effectively and collaboratively.
- Basic understanding of the healthcare delivery system in Ontario.
- Ability to attain financial and program goals within prescribed timelines.
- Experience working with volunteers and volunteer committees/boards in a wide range of capacities.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple and changing demands.
- Proven ability to exercise diplomacy and good judgment.
- Keen understanding of current finance and accounting principles in the not-for-profit sector.
- Exemplary attention to detail with excellent planning, organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work independently using an above-average level of initiative.
- Ability to work as a collaborative member of a fundraising team.
- Proficient in the use of all corporate productivity tools including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Internet Explorer as well as Raiser’s Edge or other donor database management systems.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrated commitment to and understanding of the mission and values of St. Michael’s Hospital.
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends.
We’d love to hear from you!
If this describes you, please submit your resume. Please include your phone and email contact information with your submission.
Salary range: $93k to $109k
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Hybrid working from home/office arrangements
- Competitive benefits package and pension
As a condition of employment, all external hires will be required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination or documentation unless a valid accommodation under the Ontario Human Rights Code exists. Please note, if you are extended an offer of employment, you will be required to provide proof of vaccination in Ontario QR Code format. All internal candidates must be in compliance with Unity Health Toronto’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.