Senior Philanthropy Officer, Transformational Giving
Sunnybrook Foundation inspires lasting support for Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, one of Canada’s largest and most dynamic health science centres impacting the lives of the more than 1.3 million patients it sees each year.
Together with our donor community, Sunnybrook Foundation raises critical funds for Sunnybrook’s world class academic health sciences centre to achieve our shared vision to invent the future of health care. With ambitious goals ahead, the Foundation is committed to continuing to grow our results and impact as we help Sunnybrook to raise sights, uncover new possibilities, develop talent, and deliver exceptional care.
We are one team in pursuit of a common purpose – to inspire lasting support for Sunnybrook – and we are guided by our values: Build Connectedness, Act with Integrity, Meaningful Collaboration and Strive for Excellence.
Sunnybrook Foundation is seeking an experienced Senior Philanthropy Officer, Transformational Giving. A proactive and motivated major gift professional, the Senior Philanthropy Officer will be internally focused dedicated to staffing and supporting the transformational giving portfolio and the fundraising activity of the CEO and VP Advancement.
Reporting to the Executive Director, Campaign & Transformational Giving the Senior Philanthropy Officer will support the development and execution of long-term donor engagement strategies, solicitation plans and recognition activities. This includes facilitating strategies, monitoring and coordinating initiatives, and ensuring that next steps are completed in a timely manner.
As a collaborative, adaptable, and contributing member of the Foundation team, the incumbent will subscribe to our ‘one vision, one goal, one culture’ philosophy. The Senior Philanthropy Officer will be driven to achieve their personal and program team goals while participating in the overall fundraising activities, being accountable to the entire Sunnybrook Foundation team.
This is an exciting time to join Sunnybrook Foundation; we are investing in new resources, strategies, and structures that will enhance Foundation-Hospital collaboration and create opportunities for partnership and innovation in order to drive revenue growth to advance the mission and vision of the renowned Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre.
Sunnybrook Foundation is currently working within a hybrid model; a combination of in-office and remote work. This position requires a minimum of three in-office days.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
As a strategic partner to the ED, VP and CEO, focused on the fundraising activities of Transformational Giving, the Senior Philanthropy Officer, Transformational Giving will:
- Provide expertise and support the development, implementation, and execution of long-term transformational donor strategies aimed to maximize engagement and philanthropic support of gifts $5,000,000 and above
- Collaborates, requests and ensures timely delivery of required materials, including internal communications, briefing notes, research profiles, funding proposals, gift agreements, stewardship reports and call reports, on behalf of executive leadership, ensuring comprehensive and accurate documentation of donor interactions
- Works collaboratively within the Sunnybrook Transformational Giving Framework ensuring all necessary internal stakeholders are involved in key efforts to ensure a strategically coordinated and cohesive approach to transformational files
- Maintains and tracks accuracy of all active Transformational donor files, including the completion of follow up activities to ensure the file advances in a timely manner
- Works collaboratively across the Foundation to support timely and appropriate stewardship plans, ensuring gifts are handled and recognized according to our standards
- Supports execution of transformational donor communications on behalf of the CEO and VP, including identification of activation opportunities
- Work closely with teams across the Foundation to assist with the strategic development and execution of cultivation and stewardship events and/or marketing initiatives to maximize donor engagement and advancement opportunities, when appropriate.
- Work collaboratively with the Philanthropy and Prospect Research teams to identify potential prospects at the transformational gift level
- In partnership with leaders across the Foundation, support development of systems and measures that appropriately assess performance and progress of Transformational giving portfolio to ensure achievement of growth and targets
Qualifications & Competencies
- Minimum 7 years of progressive experience with a track record of personal success in developing and executing major gift strategies, including cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship
- Excellent project management capacity complimented by exemplary verbal and written communication skills
- High regard for accuracy and attention to detail with excellent organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to prioritize a varied and dynamic workload
- Strong problem-solving abilities, critical thinking skills, emotional intelligence, and professionalism
- Proven ability to strategically advise executive leadership and colleagues involved in transformational gift fundraising to achieve shared goals
- Natural collaborator who thrives in a team environment
- Flexible and adaptable to change with the ability to navigate and forge ahead in ambiguous scenarios
- Demonstrated knowledge of diverse giving vehicles, as well as a demonstrated understanding of family wealth management and integrated gift strategies.
- A person of integrity; committed to upholding professional ethics and confidentiality, encouraging philanthropic best practices
- Understanding and experience with donor databases, ideally Raiser’s Edge would be an asset.
- Previous involvement with a comprehensive capital campaign would be an asset.
- Passion for healthcare philanthropy with experience in a hospital foundation or similarly complex environment is an asset.
- A university degree is required. Consideration will be given to an equivalent combination of education and experience.To submit your application for this exciting role, please submit your resume HERE by December 20, 2023.
We know that everyone’s career journey looks a bit different and experience comes in many forms. If you’re unsure whether your experience matches all of the requirements but still think this would be a great fit, we encourage you to apply.
Sunnybrook Foundation values equity, diversity and inclusion within the workplace and is committed to fostering a work environment where employees can bring their whole selves to work, are valued for their diversity, and feel a sense of belonging.
Sunnybrook Foundation is committed to providing accessible employment practices. If you require accommodations during any stage of the recruitment process, please advise us when submitting your application.
Please be advised that proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required for employment at Sunnybrook. The successful candidate will be asked to provide proof of vaccination prior to their first day of work.