Senior PSP IG Assistant – Senior Email Marketing and Digital Content Coordinator
Internal / External Vacancy Notice
Senior PSP IG Assistant- CANTO/PSP/VN/004
Location: PSP Toronto
UNHCR Title: Senior PSP IG Assistant
(Senior Email Marketing and Digital Coordinator)
Type of contract: Fixed-Term Appointment Category/Grade: General Service, G5
Duration: 01 August 2023 – 01 August 2024 (with possibility of extension) Expected start date: August 2023
Workday Reference: JR2321446
Application deadline: 03 July 2023
1. General Background
The United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR) is the world’s leading not-for-profit organization in helping and protecting the millions of people forced to flee their homes because of violence, conflict and persecution. We deliver life-saving assistance, including shelter, food and water while also safeguarding fundamental human rights, safety and dignity.
Our Canadian office is part of a global network that works in 137 countries, protecting over 80 million people. We were founded in 1950 as part of the United Nations effort to help people displaced by World War II. Since then we have been on the ground helping over 89.3 million people forced to leave their homes and have even received two Nobel Prizes for our work.
We are passionate about the people we help—and the amazing team of people who work for us. We thrive on excellence, integrity and respect for diversity. Our culture is dynamic, results-oriented and focused on change, ready to tackle the latest global humanitarian crisis. You will be part of a newly growing team that—due to a significant revitalization process—is set for transformational growth. We need someone who is not only ready to jump in at the start of this journey, but has the skills, energy and creativity to help shape what comes next.
2. Purpose and Scope of Assignment
The role of Senior Email Marketing and Digital Coordinator (Senior PSP Individual Giving Assistant) will report to the Digital Manager sitting within the overall IG team, which covers retention and acquisition strategies. This role will support communications strategies for both retention and acquisition teams in IG, as well as collaborate with the greater PSP team including Major Gifts and Planned Giving to provide expert support on email marketing solutions. This role will work to push forward a digital first approach to our communications and improve on our existing web-based applications, as well as ensure seamless donor journey through collaboration with other teams on multi-channel campaigns. This role will also work closely alongside our donor care team to grow our peer-to-peer fundraising program.
• Develop and execute email marketing campaigns to support overall marketing goals of Individual Giving team
• Assist in the development of overall annual communications strategy for email program – working closely with retention and acquisition teams to ensure seamless multi-channel experience
• Manage email lists and segmentations to ensure targeted messaging and optimal email performance
• Monitor and report of email metrics, including open rates, click-through rates and conversions to continually grow and optimize email campaigns
• Collaborate with internal and external teams to develop email content (copy and design), as well as creation of landing pages to create seamless donor experience
• Ensure understanding of and compliance with email marketing best practice and regulations such as CASL
• Stay current with industry trends and best practice to improve email marketing and drive innovation in the program
• Continuously test and optimize email campaigns to improve engagement and conversion rates
• Use email marketing software to manage campaigns, reporting and segmentation – familiarity to Engaging Networks or similar email software would be an asset
• Ensure accuracy of email marketing campaigns through attention to detail and ensuring all necessary tracking relevant to internal and external systems are applied
• Provide email marketing guidance and support to internal teams as necessary
• Work with external vendors to manage the growth of the email marketing program including the management of key campaigns and assisting with budget management associated with specific campaigns
• Work with Digital Manager and Donor Care team to ensure optimal user experience across all web platforms
• Conduct regular audit of UNHCR Canada’s website to ensure accuracy of campaign-based information, updating stats and key messaging when necessary, and regularly testing donation pages to ensure optimal functionality
• Supporting internal teams such as Major Giving and Planned/Legacy Giving with website support as needed.
• Working closely with the Bureau Office for support on bespoke projects, as well as assist with organic social media needs
• Work with Digital Manager to manage SEO vendor and generate content to improve overall website performance
• Strong ability to problem solve and troubleshoot website based user issues and anomalies and rectify in timely manner – solutions focused skillset ideal
• Work with internal and external teams to coordinate analysis of digital marketing performance metrics and identify opportunities of improvement
• Stay up to date with the latest digital marketing trends and tools to make informed recommendations for improvements
Peer to Peer (P2P)
• Assist in the development and growth of the Peer to Peer (P2P) fundraising program through the management of online training resources for the program
• Act as point of contact for program related inquiries and assist the Donor Care team in responding to any inquiries from P2P participants for support on their fundraising initiatives
• Refine existing and develop new communication materials to assist P2P participants in their fundraising efforts, such as guidelines, certificates and reports for donors on their fundraising progress
• Develop and maintain relationships with P2P participants to ensure they are supported throughout their fundraising efforts and have a positive experience.
• Assist in the implementation of acquisition programs.
• Assist in the implementation of donor care and retention programs.
• Provide front-line customer service for all inbound inquiries from donors, through the phone, email and mail and will assist donor with gift acknowledgements, refunds, tax receipt requests, tribute and symbolic gift cards, and other donation related issues.
• Perform donor base analysis to support the definition of strategy and tactic of donor relationship.
• Assist in the implementation of a tailored middle donor program/strategy.
• Contribute in procurements to Face-to Face activities or other activities including preparation of RFQs or RFPs, receipts of quotations, bids or proposals in compliance with the procurement standards and rules.
• Provide functional guidance to the donor care assistant, ensuring proper implementation of fundraising activities and middle donor care programme effectively and efficiently and with a donor focused approach.
• In close coordination with the supervisor, support in middle donor budgeting and provide middle value donor and the financial forecasts.
• Support targeting/segmentation based on donor insights, behaviour, interactions and gifts history.
• Prepare and submit the monthly income recording, bank reconciliations and earmarking reports.
• Prepare and submit regular reports on all contacts with donors, prospects and maintain sufficient records, contacts’ reports and background data to facilitate periodic reports on activities.
• Prepare daily/weekly/monthly progress reports on acquisitions and donor care KPIs.
• Liaise with bank and payment platforms to ensure timely and accurate payment collections.
• Participate in annual campaign goals.
• Assist in monitoring and reporting on KPIs of different fundraising activities on a monthly, quarterly and yearly basis.
• Support fundraising activities for the acquisition of new donors in F2F, DRTV, Direct Mail, etc.
• Support digital programs (advertising, social media, search engine marketing, etc.).
• Support in the development of new donor acquisition plans.
• Contact prospects to determine capability and propensity for joining the middle donor program with an increased level of giving.
• In close collaboration with donor communication teams and external relations provide relevant content of messaging and proper training for IG fundraisers.
• Solicit, negotiate agreements and close gifts with potential donors.
• Participate in annual fundraising campaign plans.
• Prepare and participate in the recruitment of Face-to-Face fundraisers to fill vacant positions including applications’ review, interviews and tests as well as orientation and induction.
Donor Retention and Development
• Support in the development and retention of existing donors.
• Deal with donors’ requests and manage complaints.
• Follow up donors by phone, post, electronic mail in relation to donation transactions issues and donor inquiries.
• Follow the development of all the creative, production and services related to appeals, stewardship communication etc.
• Produce reports and analysis to enhance programme performance, donor retention and understand donor behaviour.
• Support donor service toll free number activities.
• Execute data entry needed by outbound and inbound campaigns.
• Update UNHCR fundraising database with donors’ data, gifts data, fundraising campaigns data when needed.
• Support fulfilment operations for specific campaigns.
• Assist in processing one-off donation transactions.
• Process monthly donations (both autopay and credit cards), escalate and advise the supervisor in case of inaccuracy and special occurrence.
• Perform other duties as required.
3. Qualifications and Experience
• University Degree or College Diploma.
• 2 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 1-year relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
b. Work Experience
• Previous experience in fundraising environment or marketing setting, working more specifically with email and web-based communications.
c. Other Qualifications
• Experience with applications such as: Photoshop, WordPress, Engaging Networks, Raiser’s Edge, Salesforce or other CRM, Microsoft Suite etc.
Must be eligible to work in Canada
Relevant Job Experience
Minimum 2 years of previous experience in donor care or customer service, or donor development and/or communications. Experience working with fundraising activities such direct mail, telemarketing, email marketing, Face-to-Face, DRTV etc. Experience in handling donors and/or individuals for fundraising purposes.
Knowledge of customer segmentation and analysis approaches. Experience in training fundraising or sales representatives in telemarketing agencies. Experience in coordinating the day today work of suppliers. Experience working in a customer service.
FR-PSFR Direct Marketing and Direct Response Fundraising
FR-Experience in Private Sector Fundraising
FR-Fundraising-face to face, digital, emergency, DRTV, etc.
FR-Online communications, web-based marketing and fundraising contents
FR-Fundraising approach skills (Face2Face/Sales Prog Outsourced-Sales workforce/Door2Door)
MS-Drafting, Documentation, Data Presentation
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English. For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language. For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All jobs at UNHCR require six core competencies and may also require managerial competencies and/or cross-functional competencies. The six core competencies are listed below.
Core Competencies Accountability Communication Organizational Awareness Teamwork & Collaboration
Commitment to Continuous Learning Client & Result Orientation
Planning and Organizing
A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, please visit the portal of the International Civil Service Commission at: http://icsc.un.org
To apply for this position, please visit UNHCR career webpage:
For any HR related inquiries, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the vacancy notice number and related title in the subject line.
Application should be received through Workday to be reviewed.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview.
WE REGRET WE DO NOT ACCEPT ANY PHONE CALLS
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce.
Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity. UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, or training.
We welcome applications from candidates with a refugee or stateless background.