Senior Stewardship Officer
Title: Senior Stewardship Officer
Reports to: Stewardship Manager
Sunnybrook is a premier academic health sciences centre, fully affiliated with the University of Toronto, with a vision to invent the future of health care. Today, with 1.2 million patient visits each year, Sunnybrook has established itself across three campuses and is home to Canada’s largest trauma centre.
Sunnybrook Foundation exists to raise awareness and funds required to ensure that Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre (Hospital) achieves its mission.
Sunnybrook Foundation is seeking a skilled and competent advancement professional to serve as our Senior Stewardship Officer. A proactive and motivated professional, the Senior Stewardship Officer will support the Philanthropy team to build and grow a portfolio of $1M + prospects and donors developing strategies and stewardship plans to deepen donor engagement and experience.
With a passion for healthcare philanthropy, the Senior Stewardship Officer ideally understand ideas and concepts in a medical and scientific context in order to communicate the impact of philanthropic support for transformative healthcare projects and programs. Responsible for partnering with Philanthropy Directors to create compelling stewardship for donors which celebrates, engages and excites them to renewal and action. The ideal candidate will have an appreciation of the complexity of the hospital environment and create mutually beneficial partnerships and be skilled at collaboration across the Foundation, Hospital and University of Toronto. Specifically, the Senior Stewardship Officer will lead the establishment of new Chair and Professorships in collaboration with the University of Toronto and ongoing impact reporting for new and existing Chairs and Professorships.
As a collaborative, adaptable, and contributing member of the advancement team, the new incumbent will subscribe to our ‘one vision, one goal’ philosophy. The Senior Stewardship Officer will be driven to achieve their personal and program team goals while participating in the overall stewardship activities, being accountable to the entire Sunnybrook Foundation team.
This is an exciting time to join Sunnybrook Foundation; we are investing in new resources, strategies, and structures that will enhance Foundation-Hospital collaboration and create opportunities for partnership and innovation in order to drive revenue growth to advance the mission and vision of the renowned Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre.
Sunnybrook Foundation is currently working within a hybrid model; a combination of in-office and remote work.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Understand the Sunnybrook brand, strategic direction of the Foundation and hospital priorities
- Remain abreast of best practices in the field with respect to donor recognition and stewardship
- Act as an internal resource on stewardship activity for other Foundation staff
- Collaborate with the Executive Director, Philanthropy and Stewardship Manager to develop and execute stewardship strategies for major donors at 2.5M+ level
- Oversee the preparation of gift agreements for Chairs, Professorships, endowments and other major gifts at the 2.5M+ level.
- Work closely with other teams to assist with the strategic development and execution of cultivation and stewardship events and/or marketing initiatives to maximize donor engagement and advancement opportunities, when appropriate.
- Ensure gift acknowledgement and donor recognition for 2.5M + donors are consistently reviewed and updated for best practices
- Ensure that all obligations outlined in donor agreements are fulfilled in a timely manner, and monitored and tracked in Raiser’s Edge
- Manage the donor naming opportunities inventory for physical space in the Hospital and oversee all naming opportunities including spaces, named funds, Chairs etc.
- Collaborate with the Senior Manager, Donor Communications on print and electronic communications to and about the impact of donor giving
- Manage the preparation and delivery of stewardship and fund reports and communications to donors who have given $2.5M level +
- Oversee the coordination of donor recognition events in collaboration with the Events team and Manager, Events
- Uses vital metrics to achieve higher retention rates and donor satisfaction. Tracking metrics to assess donors’ current engagement and activity to determine which efforts have the most significant business impact.
- Perform other duties as needed
Qualifications & Competencies
- Post-secondary education
- 5+ years of progressive stewardship and donor relations experience, preferably at the 6-figure level
- Passion for healthcare philanthropy with experience in a hospital foundation or similarly complex environment.
- Experience developing major gift recognition, communication and stewardship plans.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Excellent writing, communication and research skills required to convey clear and concise information
- High regard for accuracy and attention to detail with excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize a varied and dynamic workload.
- Work comfortably in a highly collaborative team environment; manage competing interests and strong personalities
- Sound judgement, tact and diplomacy
- A person of integrity; committed to upholding professional ethics and encouraging philanthropic best practices.
- Demonstrated data-mindset, with strong analytical skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software suite including Outlook or similar scheduling software
- Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge, project management software and Adobe Creative Suite, including InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator an asset and an ability to learn new software quickly
- CFRE designation considered an asset
If you would like to apply for this role, please send a cover letter and a current resume listing your qualifications and experience by June 19, 2023 to foundationHR@sunnybrook.ca.
Please quote “Senior Stewardship Officer” in the subject line of your e-mail. We thank all applicants in advance. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Sunnybrook Foundation is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (‘AODA’). If you require accommodations for disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please indicate this in your cover letter.
Sunnybrook Foundation is strongly committed to equity, diversity and inclusion within its community and encourages all applicants including but not limited to: Indigenous, Black and other racialized persons, all religions, cultures, and ethnicities, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ2S+ persons and persons of any gender identity and sexual orientation, and everyone who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
Please be advised that in order to be eligible for employment at Sunnybrook, all new hires must have received the full series of a COVID-19 vaccine or combination of COVID-19 vaccines approved by Health Canada (e.g., two doses of a two-dose vaccine series, or one dose of a single-dose vaccine series); AND have received the final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days ago. Medical exemptions or any other kind of requested exemption based upon the Hospital’s obligations pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code will be considered on a case-by-case bases.