Senior Vice President, Philanthropy
About William Osler Health System Foundation
Osler Foundation is the fundraising arm of William Osler Health System (Osler). Osler serves 1.3 million people in Brampton, Caledon, North Mississauga, Etobicoke, and the surrounding region. This is one of the fastest growing and most ethnically diverse regions of Canada. Osler Foundation builds and fosters relationships in their hospitals and the community to raise funds to support the clinical priorities at Brampton Civic Hospital and Etobicoke General Hospital, Osler’s two acute-care sites, and Peel Memorial Centre for Integrated Health and Wellness. As part of the Osler System family, they are committed to providing a fulfilling work environment that inspires their staff to learn, innovate and grow. Year after year, Osler is proud to be recognized as one of Greater Toronto’s Top Employers and Canada’s Best Diversity Employers. Osler Foundation is equally committed to supporting their employees through flexible work arrangements, professional development, and a commitment to creating an environment of inclusiveness and belonging. Team members are highly effective leaders, instructors, and mentors within the philanthropy sector with the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) and Association of Healthcare Philanthropists (AHP), including past Chair, AFP Canada and AFP Fundraiser of the Year, 2019.
William Osler Health System Foundation MISSION, VISION, VALUES
MISSION: Inspire our community to invest in exceptional health care close to home
VISION: Healthier Communities through giving
VALUES: Accountable Collaboration Excellence Inclusive Integrity Optimism
Osler is about to embark on a campaign to build a multi-story in-patient tower on the Peel Memorial Site.
The Osler Foundation is particularly known for consistent and atypical success exceeding targets and engaging a new generation of philanthropists, including newcomers to Canada with diverse backgrounds. They have achieved their strong track record through a culture of thoughtfully working with and through others.
Where could you fit in?
If you are reading this position profile as it’s entirely possible you could be the next Senior Vice President, Philanthropy for William Osler Health System Foundation. Consideration for the role starts with your own – objective – personal analysis.
Do you have top-flight success in major gifts, the zeal for business excellence, and a creative leadership style that inspires the very best of your team? The Senior Vice President, Philanthropy role demands clear-eyed objectivity, quick intelligence, the highest degree of organization, and tireless, flat-out commitment to results. You are collaborative, excited by what Osler Foundation is doing, and have a deep understanding of the dynamics in fundraising success and passionately believe that teamwork is the key to success.
With hands-on experience with both fundraising and marketing in ethnically diverse communities, you possess intellectual curiosity and apply innovative, entrepreneurial, and creative thinking in developing and implementing development and supporting marketing strategies and programs.
You would describe yourself as an accomplished fundraiser who has a deep appreciation for, and track record in, major gifts within a campaign environment. You enjoy digging into data and understanding the history of an organization’s donor pool to chart forward the plan for what’s to come. You possess a growth mindset and are always looking for ways to improve. You are an excellent communicator and a natural collaborator; you’ve been known to bring teams and stakeholders together to achieve a common objective that before your involvement was stagnating. You are trusted by your colleagues because you follow through on your commitments, and your integrity and commitment to your work and word has made you a sought-after mentor – people want to work with you and value your guidance because you are respectful, you hear others out, but above all, you get it done – and have fun along the way.
You are a unique blend of fundraiser and marketer. You respect and appreciate that a strong brand leads to fundraising dollars in the door. You have been successful at securing multi million-dollar investments for your organization because of your strategic thinking, savvy negotiation and partnership skills and laser beam focus.
You are known for your ability to guide and lead with high emotional intelligence. You have a deep commitment to continuous learning and advancing equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation in all its forms, and are curious and open to welcoming ideas from all stakeholders.
If this sounds like you, please read on…
The role reports to Ken Mayhew, a dynamic and highly respected senior fundraising executive with a passion for cultivating donors who share Osler’s commitment to deliver exceptional health care close to home. Through his exemplary leadership, Osler Foundation has experienced continuous revenue growth, recently exceeding its $100M campaign goal by $9M to support redevelopment and ongoing equipment needs at Osler’s Brampton Civic Hospital, Etobicoke General Hospital and Peel Memorial Centre for Integrated Health and Wellness.
Prior to joining Osler in 2012, Ken spent 20 years with the MS Society of Canada where he was responsible for all aspects of marketing, communications, media and fund development for a program with almost one million active donors, raising over $50M annually.
An active and passionate volunteer, Ken is immediate Past Chair of the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) Canada. He is also Past President of the local AFP chapter. Ken’s ongoing involvement with AFP, Imagine Canada and the Rideau Hall Foundation includes government relations and media work to profile the importance of philanthropy as an enabler of Canada’s robust and inclusive social fabric. He is a frequent sector spokesperson and has been featured in numerous podcasts, panels, interviews, and media pieces.
Among his many honours, Ken has been recognized with a CEO in Action award from the Diversity Journal for his work in inclusive board and fundraising development. He was named 2019 Fundraiser of the Year by AFP Toronto and in 2022 became a Paul Harris Fellow—the highest award in Rotary, given to a member of the public who has made an outstanding contribution to the community. Ken’s career and transformational impact at Osler is featured in Peter Mansbridge’s current national bestselling book ‘How Canada Works – The People Who Make Our Nation Thrive’.
Organization: William Osler Health System Foundation
Title: Senior Vice President, Philanthropy
Reports to: Ken Mayhew, President & Chief Executive Officer
Team: Approximately 20 including a Vice President, Philanthropy; Campaign Director (to be hired) and Associate Director Foundation Marketing and their associated teams
Location: Hybrid. Minimum 2 days on site designed to collaborate: 20 Lynch Street, Brampton, ON.
Compensation: $185,000 – $210,000; with a comprehensive benefit, HOOPP pension and vacation package
Key Internal Relationships:
- Foundation and Hospital Board of Directors
- WOHS Senior leadership, Medical Directors, Program Directors, and Senior Staff
Key External Relationships:
- Maintaining strong community relationships as the philanthropy and marketing leader of the foundation
As a key partner to the President & CEO and a member of the Foundation Executive Team, the Senior Vice President, Philanthropy drives the fundraising efforts of the William Osler Health System Foundation. The SVP, Philanthropy will work closely with Foundation partners including the Foundation Board of Directors and William Osler Health System leadership, staff, and Board to build upon a culture of philanthropy in support of enhanced patient care for those they serve.
The Senior Vice President, Philanthropy will assist the President in creating and executing this new $200M capital campaign that has just been approved by the Board. This role will provide campaign and fundraising leadership to all the Foundation’s philanthropic programs through the Vice President, Development, as well as direct leadership to the Marketing & Communications team.
The Senior Vice President, Philanthropy owns a portfolio of Major Gift donors to manage and solicit, specifically in the target gift range of $500,000 to $1,000,000, as well as facilitating the President’s efforts to secure gifts $1,000,000+. Annual accountability for this position will be in the $2M – $4M range.
Capital Campaign Leadership
- Lead the development and execution of the Campaign Plan in collaboration with the President & CEO and relevant staff
- Determine appropriate Campaign goals and metrics; monitor and report on progress against goals in the short- and long-term
- Work with program leads to ensure full integration and coordination of the Campaign Plan into their programs to maximize Campaign results
- Ensure that all fundraising programs and activities fall within ethical, fiscal, and legal standards, and within Foundation policies and regulations
- Maintain relationships with other health care philanthropy professionals to ensure ongoing knowledge of Campaign best practices and to benchmark performance
Transformational Campaign Gifts Solicitation
- Actively manage and solicit a portfolio of $250,000+ major gift prospects
- Support the President & CEO with solicitation of $1M+ major gift prospects
- Support the President & CEO in enhancing Board involvement in prospect identification, cultivation, and solicitation activities
- Provide support, mentoring, coaching and encouragement to Foundation staff, Board Members, and volunteers who are involved in major gift fundraising
Team Leadership & Management
- Fills in for the President & CEO in his absence
- Position self as a subject matter expert and respected thought leader in development and marketing
- Supports the development and execution of annual business plans and budgets for all fundraising programs, in collaboration with the President & CEO, Vice President Development, and program leads
- Inspire, direct, and manage a team who work at Osler’s three sites. Direct staff reports include:
- Vice President, Development
- Director, Campaign
- Executive Assistant (shared with President & CEO)
- Work with staff to develop and achieve performance goals, targets, and metrics for their programs and revenue streams, and for themselves and their team members
- As needed, participate in the recruitment and retention of fundraising staff including hiring, performance management, accountability and annual reviews, and professional development
Foundation Representative with Stakeholders
- Represent the Foundation with various stakeholder groups, including the hospital and Board, donors, volunteers and community members
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with physician, clinicians, staff and Board of William Osler Health System
- Identify opportunities for and lend support to activities with Osler that help to build awareness of the Foundation and to foster a culture of philanthropy
Our ideal candidate will possess/have:
- A commitment to the community and the overall vision of Osler
- 10+ years of senior development and campaign experience, preferably in a large health care or academic setting
- A proven track record of major and planned gift success at the six and seven figure level
- Practical gift planning experience with an understanding of Income Tax Act, Canada Revenue Agency rulings and guidelines
- A proven ability to work in a complex organization and receptive to change
- An analytical and organized thinker who posses the ability to plan, manage, set priorities, and focus on the detail while not losing sight of the big picture, meet deadlines and work collegially in a team setting
- An excellent presenter, communicator, and persuasive writer with high attention to detail
- A mentor with strong interpersonal skills, commitment to excellence and a balanced work ethic
- Excellent project management, prioritization, and organizational skills.
- Outstanding leadership and communication skills; demonstrated results-oriented approach
- Valid driver’s license required
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience required; master’s degree considered an asset but not required; CFRE designation considered an asset as well as involvement in a professional association
What You Will Enjoy
- A comprehensive benefits package including a defined-benefit pension plan (HOOPP), outstanding health/dental benefits, and a generous vacation allowance
- A competitive salary
- The Foundation is working under a hybrid model of work from home and in office
- State-of-the-art accessible facility located close to major highways in Brampton, Ontario
- A dynamic and professional office setting in a hospital environment
- A highly collaborative team environment with the opportunity to participate in first-in-class fundraising events
If you are looking for an outstanding challenge, working with an exceptional leader, senior volunteers and leadership team, for a very important, focused, and successful community hospital network then please submit your CV, along with a covering letter explaining why you should be a serious candidate to: email@example.com at Preston Human Capital Group by no later than 5pm ET on February 2, 2024.
All applications are considered confidential. Osler values inclusivity and diversity in the workplace. We welcome and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds. We are committed to providing accessible employment practices that comply with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process, please notify us through your application.
Please note all inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence and only qualified respondents will be contacted for interview. We thank you in advance for your interest.
Much of Osler’s work takes place in the Traditional Territory and Treaty Lands of the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation.
As visitors in this Territory, Osler would like to express their gratitude to the Mississauga Peoples of the New Credit First Nation, the descendants of the Credit First Nation.
Osler would also like to respectfully acknowledge the diverse community of Indigenous Peoples representing a multitude of distinct Nations who currently live, work, and play in this Territory. We would like to express our commitment to honouring Indigenous Communities and Nations across the territories now known as Canada.