Specialist, Development Stewardship
The Development Stewardship Specialist will work with internal and external stakeholders to assist the Corporate Partnership Manager with the creation and execution of donor offers and stewardship materials. The incumbent will assist with the development of processes and systems designed to facilitate the receipt of necessary donor-centric information from relevant personnel across the territory. There is a strong focus on developing written materials to facilitate the acquisition, cultivation, and stewardship of new and existing donors.
ABOUT THE SALVATION ARMY
The Salvation Army is an international Christian organization that began its work in Canada in 1882 and has grown to become one of the largest non-governmental direct providers of social services in the country. The Salvation Army gives hope and support to vulnerable people today and every day in 400 communities across Canada and more than 131 countries around the world.
The Salvation Army offers practical assistance for children and families, often tending to the necessities of life, provides shelter for homeless people and rehabilitation for people who have lost control of their lives to an addiction.
As the largest non-governmental direct provider of social services in Canada, The Salvation Army provides unprecedented support to society’s most vulnerable. The Salvation Army provides a wide range of services that includes immigrant and refugee settlement programs, anti-human trafficking initiatives, English conversation circles and parenting programs. People need to know they are not alone in their time of need — that they have an entire Army on their side. Everyone needs an Army and that’s why The Salvation Army exists.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
We are an innovative partner. Mobilized to share hope wherever there is hardship. Building communities that are just and know the love of Jesus.
Values are who we are and what we continually strive for. They guide all aspects of The Salvation Army in Canada and Bermuda.
HOPE – We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
SERVICE – We reach out to support others without discrimination.
DIGNITY – We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
STEWARDSHIP – We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
Our social service activities include (but are not limited to):
- Hunger relief for individuals and families through food banks and feeding programs
- Shelter for people experiencing homelessness and support for those needing housing
- Rehabilitation for those struggling with addiction
- Long-term care and palliative care
- Christmas assistance such as food hampers and toys
- After school programs, camps and school nutrition programs for children and youth
- Life-skills classes such as budgeting, cooking for a family, and anger management
- Donor Offers
- Initiate and develop strategic donor offers centered on territorial and divisional priorities and the needs of donors
- Collaborate with relevant personnel across the divisions to source and receive timely and appropriate materials
- Manage timelines and key deliverables to ensure adherence to stated deadlines
- Create complete and up-to-date deliverables matrix
- Write and edit compelling donor offers that convey The Salvation Army’s mission and mandate and drive donor giving
- Work cross-functionally with relevant personnel to source materials for stewardship pieces
- Work with leadership and legacy giving officers and other Development personnel to determine specific donor stewardship needs
- Create complete and up-to-date deliverables matrix
- Execute deliverables in adherence to stated deadlines
- Write and edit donor-centric stewardship materials centered on territorial and divisional priorities that drive increased donor giving and retention
- Key point of contact for donor offers and stewardship requests
- Provide departmental back-up as needed
- Other duties as assigned
Critical Relationship Management:
- Member of the Development department, work cooperatively as part of the Territorial Communications team to serve donors and supporters of The Salvation Army
- Key working relationships relevant divisional leads
- Key working relationships with relevant Marketing and Communications personnel
- Communicating with donors through phone and email
Managerial/ TECHNICAL LEADERSHIP responsibility:
- Reports directly to the Corporate Partnership Manager
- Occasionally coordinates outside contractors and volunteers
- Provide project coordination and regular in-scope advice to staff
FINANCIAL AND MATERIALS MANAGEMENT
- Uses or maintains organization assets in accordance with established guidelines.
- Does not process any financial transactions with no budget responsibilities.
- Working environment is typically in the office, remote home office may be considered from across Canada
The above responsibilities must be discharged in accordance with The Salvation Army’s Mission Statement, in a professional manner, exemplifying Christian standards of conduct.
education and experience Qualifications:
- Completion of a formal University program in English, Communications, Fundraising, Marketing, or equivalent experience
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in fundraising or fundraising support position
- Graphic design and/or donor offer/stewardship creation experience
Skills and Capabilities:
- Solid English writing and editing skills
- Able to distill complex information into compelling donor-friendly materials designed to steward, retain, and increase donor giving
- Strong knowledge of moves management and how donor offers, and stewardship fit within this paradigm
- Ability to persevere and lead projects to meet expected outcomes
- Thorough understanding of Blackbaud’s Raiser’s Edge NXT
- Comprehensive knowledge of Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint or Canva
- A demonstrated understanding of philanthropic trends both nationally and internationally
- Detail-oriented with a high level of accuracy
- Strong organizational and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and a variety of demands
- Ensure compliance with all policies, regulations, and laws
Successful candidates will be required to provide background check consent and education verification.
To apply for this position, please forward your resume and cover letter to Sara.Lewis@salvationarmy.ca with Specialist, Development Stewardship, in the subject line. Only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
The Salvation Army offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment process. If you are contacted to participate in an interview or screening process, please advise us if you require accommodation.
Internal Applicants must advise your managing supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application.