Sr. Development Officer, Grants
Evergreen is a national not-for-profit helping make cities flourish. Cities that are low carbon, inclusive to all and sustainable at their core.
For 30 years, Evergreen has been making Canadian cities better places to move, work, live, play and grow. We have worked from coast to coast with governments, neighborhood groups, school boards, developers and residents, collaborating to create better communities.
About the Role:
The Senior Development Officer, Grants will work across Evergreen departments to research and identify funding prospects, develop funding proposals, manage relationships, and generate reports for Evergreen supporters. They will cultivate foundation relationships and be responsible for managing a portfolio of regional and national fundraising accounts. The Senior Development Officer will combine strong research and writing skills with demonstrated analytical and strategic thinking, attention to detail and an ability to translate project vision into fundable proposals. They will bring their experience in grant writing, project management, and relationship building to bear on Evergreen’s mission. The Senior Development Officer is a great team player, and will have the confidence to collaborate effectively with program delivery colleagues, other Development team members, external partners, and senior leaders.
Account Development & Stewardship
- Manage a file of prospects and current funders, including government, private and corporate foundations. Secure fundraising target annually
- Work closely with programming teams to reflect program ambitions and costs in funding proposals and budgets, and ensure accurate reporting of progress
- Steward existing funder relationships, and ensure timely and appropriate communication, recognition, and reporting
- Ensure proper donor recognition, and obtain funder approvals
Grants Pipeline Coordination
- Actively seek out new sources of revenue, and keep abreast of changes in the funding environment to feed our prospect pool
- Ensure a steady pipeline of funding opportunities for key Evergreen programs
- Maintain and manage a calendar of fundraising deadlines for foundation and government grants and upcoming reports
- Ensure accurate and up to date activity tracking for assigned accounts to ensure timely prospect clearance in the Raisers Edge database and Wrike project management software
- Participate in the planning and articulation of program development while representing fundraising priorities
- Provide account support to Management Team as needed in times of heavy deadlines
- Support annual planning and take part in Development team operations and planning meetings
- Represent Evergreen at local fund raising and public awareness events
- Contribute to positive workplace culture and great internal communication
- Model Evergreen’s core values of sustainability, innovation and connection
You excel in the following areas:
- Attention to detail. Recognize that details matter. Work systematically to ensure important details are not missed.
- Customer-focus. Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of others in a way that exceeds their expectations.
- Collaboration. Employ generosity of spirit when working across lines.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Manage ambiguity well. Adapt to changing priorities and conditions in an agile way, responding quickly and effectively. React to change with curiosity and excitement.
- Planning/Organization/Project Management. Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals and focus on priorities, create/implement action plans/budgets, document, evaluate, learn.
- Innovation. Build new opportunities. Resourceful in the face of challenges. Focused on solutions. Prioritize learning and growth.
You have the following qualifications:
- Diploma/degree in a related field, or equivalent work experience
- 3-5 years of grant and/or proposal writing experience, with examples of successful proposals
- Demonstrated ability to create compelling written materials for a variety of audiences (writing sample may be requested)
- Experience using fund raising database software, e.g. Raiser’s Edge
- Advanced Microsoft Office Suite skills
- Knowledge of urban sustainability and environmental issues an asset
- Program development experience an asset
- Experience in other areas of fundraising an asset
- Foundational skills in graphic design an asset
- Supervised by: Sr. Manager, Foundation & Government Fundraising
- Position is typically based out of Evergreen’s head office at Evergreen Brick Works in Toronto. Due to COVID 19 pandemic this position will be working remotely and on site as needed. Ongoing remote work is a possibility
- Remote and office environment, with occasional on the ground presence as required
- Regular hours, Monday to Friday (flexible)
- Occasional evenings and weekends in times of heavy deadlines or to attend special events
- Full time, permanent
- Target Hire Rate: $60,000-$68,000 annually
- Employer-paid health and dental benefits package, 3 weeks paid vacation, 3 Evergreen Days and your birthday off, and professional development opportunities
Application Close Date: Sunday, February 27th, 2022
*Please include a cover letter with your resume to be considered for this position.*