ROM Governors is seeking a Vice President, Operations who will play a significant role in achieving annual and long-term goals and objectives by creating an efficient and effective operational model to support our people, the work we do and the resources that enable our success. The best candidates will demonstrate integrative and diverse thinking, strong communications skills, the ability to collaborate and an orientation to action to get things done. You are as comfortable assessing and providing commentary on investment strategies and reporting as you are in designing a solid recruitment, retention and growth plan for staff and volunteers. You are a champion for policies, processes, systems and plans that result in an excellent experience for donors and volunteers. You – your background, your experiences both at work and in life, your perspectives – will add to the mix of talented and committed people who are keen to inspire and support your success.
ROM Governors (Royal Ontario Museum Foundation) acts as a strategic resource to ROM in the development of plans, initiatives and programs requiring philanthropic and other sources of private support. There has been no better time to be part of ROM Governors as it undertakes an ambitious fundraising campaign to support ROM’s bold plans as a 21st century museum, embracing change and pursuing innovation.
In February 2022, John Kearsey was appointed as ROM Governors’ President and CEO to lead a dynamic, mission-driven, donor-focused team intent on increasing philanthropic and private support for ROM, advancing transformational growth and sustainability. The team partners with global philanthropic management consulting firm GG+A for thought leadership and planning solutions. In June 2022, Barbara and Jay Hennick announced their philanthropic commitment of $50 million, a tremendous leadership gift that is inspiring others to support an ambitious future.
ROM Governors works in tandem with ROM – Canada’s world museum – to engage philanthropic and sponsorship support that advances the Museum’s vision and mission. In addition to being a busy, fast-paced environment where we are committed to excellent donor and volunteer experiences and services, we get to explore, discover and learn from collections and exhibitions – and the wonderful people who bring them to life! There are many reasons it’s great to work with ROM Governors, ranging from competitive compensation and benefits, the opportunity to develop, grow and take on new opportunities and challenges, and to be part of an iconic institution that is transforming dramatically to ensure 21st century audiences can understand the past, make sense of the present and come together to shape a shared future.
PRIMARY OBJECTIVE OF POSITION:
Reporting to the President & CEO, the Vice President, Operations provides overall strategic leadership to the organization in the areas of operations management and growth while developing systems and processes that support the Foundation’s aggressive revenue and growth goals. The VP, Operations supports the work of the Board of Governors and its committees, and as part of the Senior Management Team, supports the President and CEO in the preparation of strategic issues and the handling of significant or fundamental operative matters.
The VP, Operations provides project management oversight and reporting of fundraising strategies, including a comprehensive campaign.
- Board Relations
As Treasurer, manages financial reporting so that the Board of Governors can effectively fulfill its fiduciary responsibilities. Working closely with the CEO and Director of Finance, ROM Finance staff and Governors’ investment managers and suppliers, provide leadership and guidance to support the ROM Board of Governors. This role will ensure that ROM Governors, as a Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) registered charity under the Income Tax Act, continues meeting all the associated legal and administrative requirements for charitable registration.
- Financial Oversight
Monitors and advises on all ROM Governors financial and business planning activities, with a focus on effective investment management and reporting:
- Directs and administers all financial plans
- Oversees business policies and ensures responsible accounting practices, including charitable receipting
- Provides overall financial oversight and monitoring
- Analyzes and provides commentary on financial reports
- Leads and supports organizational budgeting process
- Oversees reporting and monitoring of organizational performance metrics
- Ensures the effective management of the Foundation’s investment portfolio working with the Foundation’s Finance and Investment Committee
- Ensures that relevant financial data is presented to the CEO and senior management team
- Human Resources
Partnering with ROM Human Resources, this position manages and oversees the human resource functions for ROM Governors.
- Organizational Operations
- Ensures the adherence to the Imagine Canada standards in the operations functions of Board governance, financial accountability and transparency, fundraising, staff management and volunteer involvement.
- Oversees risk management, legal activities and is ROM Governors Privacy Officer.
- Information technology: works with the Systems Manager, ensures the ongoing maintenance and updating of information systems and infrastructure, including hardware, and software
- Organizational reporting and monitoring
- Fundraising operations
Develops, leads and maintains procedures, policies and operating plans, encompassing prospect management, solicitation schedules, financial reporting, budgets, gift acceptance policies, and research and systems support for gift solicitation.
- Philanthropic Research and Systems
Oversees the philanthropic research and systems team which acts as a critical link in the ROM Governors philanthropic program providing strategic, relevant, and timely information to development officers and to the ROM’s top administrative executives in their capacity as fundraisers.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
The incumbent should possess an undergraduate degree, and a minimum of 10 years progressive management experience with proven ability to lead a team and foster enthusiasm/commitment of staff and volunteers in a non-profit environment. They will be meticulously organized and capable of handling a multitude of activities of a diverse nature, generally under time constraints or schedules. An MBA, graduate degree or graduate diploma in non-profit management or leadership is preferred. Accounting and/or investment management designations are an asset.
The incumbent must also possess:
- Strong critical thinking skills and the confidence to make autonomous decisions within their areas of responsibility.
- Excellent judgment and diplomacy, especially when dealing with senior staff and volunteers.
- The ability to organize and manage a diverse range of assignments and projects with high efficiency, yet thorough attention to detail and follow-up.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills and oral and written communication skills, including the ability to represent the ROM Governors in a variety of internal and external situations.
- Resourcefulness and independence, but must also be comfortable working within the framework of an integrated development program and team-oriented environment. The ability to adjust to changing priorities and meet deadlines.
- Project management skills and the ability to effectively foster a strong working relationship with a diverse range of individuals, including ROM Governors and ROM staff, peers, members, donors, volunteers and other client groups.
- An understanding and appreciation of the mission, purpose and values of the Royal Ontario Museum.
- Competence in a variety of computer applications, including database, spreadsheet and word processing programs.
- The ability to handle sensitive and confidential information appropriately and with discretion.
Reports to: President & CEO, ROM Governors.
Starting Date: As soon as possible.
Salary Scale: $143,000 – $215,000 per annum plus benefits.
Application deadline: Until the position is filled.
Please send your resume with a cover letter to:
Kelly Manchuk, Human Resources Assistant, Royal Ontario Museum Governors, 100 Queen’s Park, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 2C6; by email: firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred) – please include # 2022-072 – VP, Operations, ROM Governors in the subject line.
At ROM Governors, we consider equity, diversity, and inclusivity to be foundational to our institutional success. We seek to foster a workplace that reflects the full breadth of the communities we serve and welcome applications from women, racialized persons/BIPOC, Indigenous/Aboriginal People of North America, LGBTQ2S+, and people with disabilities.
ROM Governors is committed to fair and accessible employment practices. Upon request, suitable accommodations are available under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disability Act (AODA) to applicants invited to an interview.
The selected candidate will be required to participate in a Criminal Background Check conducted via Profile Investigation Inc.
COVID-19: ROM Governors recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
ROM Governors is an Equal Opportunity Employer. ROM Governors wishes to thank all those who apply, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.