Vice President, Philanthropy
We believe that great leaders build great cities – and to do it well requires a team of great people.
Job Title: Vice President, Philanthropy
Position Length: Permanent Full Time
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Direct reports: Manager Development, Manager Stewardship
Salary Range: $110,000 to $130,000 annually
Work Environment: CivicAction’s work is a hybrid workplace that combines both in-office and remote work. CivicAction’s physical offices are in downtown Toronto and technology will be provided to support both in-office and remote work.
This position may involve some evening and weekend work.
Start Date: November 2023
Experience & Qualifications
- Ten (10) or more years of progressive fundraising leadership experience with proven results in delivering successful donor development strategies within a charitable/not-for-profit
- Strategic, creative and with an entrepreneurial attitude towards fundraising and business development; data-driven in strategy development and decision-making
- Demonstrated track-record in securing major gifts from diverse sources (individual/corporate/foundation/government) at the 6-figure level or higher
- Experienced in the successful execution of major fundraising campaigns
- Demonstrated success in building and retaining a high-performing development team to meet the goals of CivicAction
- Experienced leader, supporting, and mobilizing senior volunteers/executives both as members of the board of directors and other networks of the organization
- Excellent communication skills including superior verbal, written and presentation skills for both internal and external audience
- Ability to produce and edit high-quality written materials (articles, presentations, case for support etc.)
- Committed to the highest standard of ethical fundraising practices. CFRE designation an asset
- Experience in developing, managing and monitoring annual budgets, revenue and expenses
- Knowledge of financial, legal, and regulatory requirements of a non-profit organization
Philanthropy & Partnerships
- Actively cultivate, solicit, and steward a portfolio of high-capacity, transformational donors with major gift track record and/or potential from corporate, foundation, and individual sources (6 figure+).
- Actively identify and secure sponsorships for CivicAction’s curated events.
- Aligned with CivicAction’s strategic direction, create comprehensive campaign/fundraising plans including timetable and milestones, communications, budget, data requirements, with formal and regular reports to leadership.
- Plan and execute an effective organizational operational plan to advance fund development priorities reflecting organizational goals and objectives.
- Lead, manage, and model best practices and systems to support stewardship throughout the donor experience.
- Support the CEO and Board Chairs in recruiting and engaging senior level volunteers.
- Support the CEO and Board/campaign volunteers with research, briefing notes to support solicitation activity.
- Develop new approaches to emerging philanthropic markets that deepen prospective donors’ knowledge of the organization and increase their understanding of CivicAction’s impact.
- Provide direction to Communications and Marketing to help author compelling, donor-centric major gift proposals and supplementary information to ensure all donor and prospect correspondence is produced to a high-standard and aligned with organizations key messages/priorities
- Working in tandem with the Activation team, collaborate to develop investment opportunities that speak to venture philanthropists, demonstrating opportunities and social ROI.
Senior Leadership Team and People Leadership
- As a member of the Executive Management Committee, participate in strategic new business development, keep revenues and expenditures in balance, ensure constituent satisfaction, maintain high morale among staff and meet growth targets.
- In alignment with the organization’s stage of development, lead in the build and management of a Philanthropy team to ensure each team member has clear accountabilities and goals that align with and support CivicAction’s organizational goals. Recruit and train new team members as the organization grows.
- Assist in reporting to the Board of Directors on the progress and challenges facing the organization.
- As a member of the Executive Management Committee, ensure the external and internal viability of CivicAction.
- Ensure an organizational culture that aligns to CivicAction’s values.
- Act as spokesperson for the organization.
Sector Partner Engagement
- As part of the executive leadership team, participate in the strategy related to engagement and expansion of private/public and NFP sector partners to amplify the impact of CivicAction’s portfolio.
Our Commitment to Inclusive Workplaces & Inclusive Recruitment
CivicAction is committed to equity and inclusion in our workplace and in our recruitment processes. We encourage applicants of all gender identities and sexual orientations, ages, ethnicities, cultures, abilities, and life experiences to apply. Accommodations are available for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
AN IMPORTANT NOTE: Research shows that women and racialized candidates often only apply to positions when they feel 100% qualified. If you’re interested in this role but don’t see yourself fully reflected in the requirements of the posting, we still encourage you to apply or reach out to learn more by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
HERE’S HOW TO APPLY:
Send your résumé and a cover letter in confidence to email@example.com by
September 29, 2023, at 11:59p.m. EST. Late applications will not be accepted.
Please ensure the words “VP, Philanthropy” are in the subject line. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
For more information about the organization and our work, please visit:
https://www.civicaction.ca/ and http://leadership.civicaction.ca/.