Associate Director, Annual Giving
We are seeking a dynamic, driven, and accomplished fundraising professional to join the Joseph Brant Hospital Foundation (JBHF) as the Associate Director, Annual Giving.
Reporting directly to the Chief Development Officer (CDO), the Associate Director, Annual Giving will lead the overall strategic objectives of the direct response, memorial and tribute, lotteries and external events programs.
With a particular focus on driving growth in digital giving, the Associate Director, Annual Giving will oversee the development, integration, execution and analysis of the annual giving portfolio to maximize revenue generation and achieve ambitious key performance indicators (KPIs) across all annual giving programs.
Donor-centric and service-oriented, the Associate Director, Annual Giving, will work collaboratively with the Development and Communications & Stewardship teams to deliver an unparalleled donor experience, fortifying donor loyalty and maximizing each donor’s journey with JBHF.
These responsibilities are accomplished while actively participating in a fast-paced, team environment with multiple priorities and competing deadlines. Demanding, challenging, and exciting, this role requires a motivated and creative individual with demonstrated leadership and relationship-building skills.
About Joseph Brant Hospital
JBH is a full-service community teaching hospital located in the growing and thriving community of Burlington, Ontario, serving more than 185,000 residents in Halton, Hamilton, Waterdown, Flamborough, Milton and Stoney Creek. It is honoured to be recognized as one of Hamilton Niagara’s Top Employers for seven (7) consecutive years, with a skilled staff of 194 physicians, 1,911 full- and part-time staff and more than 700 volunteers.
JBH is a Clinical Education site in conjunction with McMaster University, and designated as an Academic Community Teaching Hospital. Its expanded campus includes the state-of-art Michael Lee-Chin & Family Patient Tower, featuring a new Emergency Department, 172 acute inpatient beds, 9 new Operating Rooms and post-anaesthetic care unit to support expanded medical, surgical and outpatient services. JBH is also a partner member of the Burlington Ontario Health Team.
About Joseph Brant Hospital Foundation
JBHF was founded in 1976 to support Joseph Brant Hospital (JBH). We are committed to engaging our community, inspiring investment in our Hospital and making a difference in healthcare for our community. Our vision is to make a difference in our community, and through the generous giving of our supporters to provide an exceptional healthcare experience right here in Burlington.
The Our New Era Campaign in support of the new JBH surpassed its goal of $60M, raising an
unprecedented $65M, enabling the incredible transformation of our Hospital, and having a
tremendous impact on our community for generations to come.
With the successful conclusion of the capital campaign, we are poised to leverage the
overwhelming support of the community to support new and emerging priorities which will
continue to support our Hospital’s vision of providing exceptional healthcare.
The Foundation is governed by a team of community volunteer leaders and is managed by a
dedicated staff of professionals who ensure that every donation is used effectively and
efficiently to meet the needs of patients and their families.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- In conjunction with the CDO, develop, implement, monitor and analyze the annual operating plans and budget for the annual giving program (direct response, memorial and tribute, lotteries and external events)
- Coach and mentor a direct report, establishing and monitoring progress towards annual goals and objectives
- Develop and manage the strategy to execute and evaluate a fully integrated direct response program (direct mail, monthly giving, digital giving, telemarketing and door-to-door), with a particular focus on new donor acquisition/retention and driving growth for the digital giving program
- Build and oversee the strategy to expand the memorial/tribute program, setting and achieving ambitious KPIs
- Provide oversight to the lotteries program (internal and external), ensuring licensing compliance and adherence to reporting requirements
- Develop and manage a strategy to further build the external events program (third party, peer-to-peer and cause-related marketing) with a focus on new donor/partner acquisition
- Work collaboratively with Development team colleagues to build and execute strategies designed to maximize each donor’s journey with JBHF
- Work with the Manager, Database and Senior Donor Relations Officer to ensure gift transactions are processed accurately and appropriately, and to build, maintain and deliver timely annual giving program analysis and reporting
- Ensure excellence in stewardship
- Maintain accurate, professional and current prospect and donor records
- Liaise with JBHF and JBH staff, building collaborative, supportive and productive relationships
- Live the JBHF values and culture code and maintain a high level of professionalism
- Perform other duties as required in furthering the goals of the Development team and the Foundation
Qualifications and Experience Required
- Undergraduate degree
- Minimum of 8-10 years of annual giving experience, with specific experience managing and analyzing a complex direct response and memorial and tribute giving program (including direct mail, monthly giving, digital giving, telemarketing and door-to-door)
- Successful track record of lottery and event management
- Demonstrated success moving prospective donors through the donor cycle
- Thorough understanding of, and appreciation for, the role of stewardship and personal, direct experience with stewardship delivery
- Drive to achieve success and meet financial targets and other KPIs
- Proven ability to think strategically and work independently in driving new initiatives or enhancing existing programs
- Previous management or team-lead experience with a desire to motivate and inspire staff
- Excellent relationship-building and interpersonal skills to work effectively with internal and external stakeholders
- Strong communication, planning and organization skills, with an emphasis on detail and accuracy
- Reputation for integrity, and a professional and exceptional donor-centric service approach
- Thorough knowledge of, and experience working with, a donor database
- Knowledge of, and experience working with, other online fundraising platforms is an asset
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) designation is an asset
- Healthcare philanthropy experience is an asset
Salary Range: $85,000 – $90,000, plus eligibility for merit incentive.
Interested candidates should forward their resume and cover letter to:
Chief Development Officer
c/o Melissa Perry, Administrative Assistant to the CDO
Closing Date: June 10, 2022
Joseph Brant Hospital Foundation thanks all applicants, however, will contact only those
selected for an interview.